(ADHD/ADD) Do you have issues with Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria?

I've been trying to find a reason to why I lash out automantically when people say certain things. Mainly if I feel like they are pointing out that I'm stupid. Which this lead me to find this part of adhd that I didn't know about. So Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria means when your more sensitive than others to rejection, teasing, criticism, or your own perception that you have failed or fallen short. I know everyone freaks out to that at times. So this is for when you know the level of emotion your feeling towards it isn't normal. That you feel crushed by it.

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/10121.html

• yes
  • first time hearing it and yes
  • no
  • I don't have adhd/add
I know everyone fears certain levels and types of rejection. Though this is more like a phobia that comes with having adhd. I don't mind failing somethings. The phobia type feeling of it comes from when I mess up because of my disorder.

Most Helpful Guy

• I never knew about Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria. Im ADHD myself. But I'm an introvert with a low self esteem and when I get rejected it hurts but I never show it due to my pride. But yea it gets to me everytime

• I just found this out yesterday. Since when ever I get rejected or some other things. I get that extremely intense feeling. Which causes me to lose my sanity and I start to freak out. It's gotten to the point I'm scared of being fully happy. Since That's when I'm the worst at keeping control over my adhd. Plus I've been yelled at for any mistakes I made due to that. So now I'm terrified of letting myself relax or to be 100% along with the other stuff.

• It's not the letting down part. It's the fear of being happy due to it distracting me. I end up distracted by how happy I feel. I forget about anything else around me. So I forget to have control over the things I say or so. Then when I do the things that majority of anyone would hate. They have always yelled at me and acted so angry. Which I would immediately stop being happy and start hating myself. I would start wanting to hit my head on something for letting myself slip up. That they are just proving i'm stupid. Just it's hard to describe all that I feel in that second. Just know it's the most intense feeling to ever feel. Like when your truly terrified you feel like your going mentally insane. That's how tense it is. I will start to shake, have tics, and just freak out and yell at myself.

• Oh ok I undertand. Well like I said I don't go threw the intense things you do. But when someone gets mad at me or criticize me I take it to heart. But the first thing you need to realize is that we are all human and we all make mistakes, it's life. But you have to work on not caring what other people say to you. When they yell just think ok I messed up but everyone dose so it's not that big of a deal. It's life and shit happens. Just try to get in the mind frame of not caring about when other get mad at you. And stop thinking your stupid because you mess up at times. So what, let them tell just don't feed into there infnorance. The fact that they yell at you means they are immature and have no respect or self control for anyone. But I feel once you stop caring about there opinions as much you won't lose it and feel depressed and freak out. So try to stop caring as much because you have a dysphoria and can't keep putting yourself down when they yell at you.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think I do.. I never heard of this before but it explains a lot... I'm gonna remember this and ask the psy about it. Very interesting.

Anyone who has experience with this know of any way how to deal with it without letting it take over your life for days or months? (The panic and atypical depression that follow after you do something wrong that is, or you get rejected or whatever)

• I normally don't become depressed. It's normally the anxiety which I become disoriented. :( Though it doesn't bug me for to long since I end up forgetting about it all. Then get reminding again once I make the same innocent mistake and get yelled at. So the cycle just repeats itself. Once I figure it out too I'll let you know. :)

• Thanks :) I get the atypical depression a lot and anxiety attacks as well, paired with low-selfesteem and a lot of self-hate... I talked to my med person about it today, (what a lucky coincidence that you made this topic just one day before I had a meeting with her to talk about medication) she thinks it does sound like I could have it and also that the meds i'm on now should help with it so she gave me a bigger dose, hope it helps! Anyways thanks for posting about this, actually made an impact on my life as now I finally know why it always hits me soo hard when I mess things up. I could never find the words to explain but the article sums it up pretty well.

• Np :) I came across this when I was looking up how to deal with those extreme feelings myself.

What Guys Said 9

• never heard o fit. no i'm not this type of person but it's interesting

• You dont suffer from rejection sensitive dysphoria, your just immature. Hopefully you will out grow it. Then you can deal with rejection and accept feedback like a normal adult. Everyone gets rejected at some point

• I take it as you don't believe adhd/add exists.

• How do people with ADHD experience the world differently?

• Well the best way I can explain it is with my own experience. Since I have the severe type of adhd. Though I don't know how to explain it in a short way. I could do a take about it. Though I don't know how well that will go. I'm HORRIBLE at giving good enough detail. Even if I feel like it makes sense to me. Apparently it ends up not being enough. I can't tell if I can trust my own thoughts of how I come off to anyone. Then you get constantly yelled at making innocent adhd mistakes all the time. It's a gift yet a curse. Even on medication it's a life saver but I still struggle if I lack sleep or some other things. So the medication never cures you. It just makes it so your mind is a little more clear so your able to try and improve the best you can.

• I honestly think people in general just don't like being rejected, and some people dislike being rejected more than others because they don't understand why they were rejected or just aren't as used to the possibility of it.

Experiencing negative emotions as a result of being rejected is perfectly natural and normal. Making up this term for it seems excessive.

• No I don't have this although I have had my little rage moments.

• Please don't self diagnose, it helps no one. People just have different reactions to certain stimulus it doesn't mean you have a mental disorder.

• I'm not saying if other people have a mental disorder. That's why I put (adhd/add). Meaning it's just towards those specifically. If they experience the same problem.

• Yeah but the problem is some people will read this and think they have all that as well and will go around saying they have it without ever being fully diagnosed

• That would be more if the person doesn't have adhd. Since this is just about this being another thing that is just apart of having adhd. So for me this comes from just the fact that I have adhd and I end up making mistakes due to my disorder. So when they happen I don't realize it till someone points it out. Then that's when I start to freak out. As I said before this question is basically pointed at other people with adhd/add. Since they probably face the same thing. So then they can talk to their psychiatrists about it. Which I know next time I see mine. I'm going to try and build up the courage to talk about it.

• I don't have adhd, I just know some people take their medication and act like people, while other people don't and act like hopeless scum, and on top of it think it's justified because of their mental disorder.

• Not really. Maybe selectively with certain people and certain topics but not generally, no.

• I don't ADHD as far as I know, but I do have trouble "focussing".

What Girls Said 8

• The worst thing about this is that it's going to be exacerbated by most drugs that are typically prescribed for AD (H) D.

Like, amphetamine family drugs? Totally gna make this worse.

You might just have to make this a video game in your head, where there's a scoreboard, and you gain points for NOT reacting in this way. Level up, win imaginary badges, all that shit.
    If you have a partner who can keep score, that's even better.

This problem will be worse if you eat a vegan/vegetarian diet. If you switch to low carb, you may find that it becomes less of a problem after a while. (It may be worse during the 2-3 weeks that you need to get accustomed to low carb.)

• Sorry I meant to click I don't have it, I chose no

• I've never heard of it but I do that

• There are many people who are ridiculously sensitive to rejection. Being rejected should not make you feel like it's the end of the world and completely crush you.

From the little you've said, it doesn't sound like you have it. No-one appreciates being treated like their stupid but it's not a rejection thing.

• Which I need to remember to talk to my psychiatrist about this. When ever I see him next which got delayed due to my sister coming home. So i'll have him tell me if I can even open up to him about this. Just thinking about how much I dread and so terrified of people seeing my mistakes and struggles with adhd. My throat is already closing up.

• I can relate since I have Adhd myself. And I am overly sensitive to rejection. I hate people who are ignorant about ADHD saying it does not exist. And how cannot exist in girls too. I never read addmagazine by the way.

• Yeah it used to happen to me. I haven't heard about this before

• I feel like this could be why when someone says something I don't like it get all "FUCK YOU I DON'T GIVE A FUCK, EAT MY ASS BITCH" but I'm working on that

• I have ADD not ADHD.
    As for the rest of this Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria I have never heard of it.

• I didn't either but when I found out about this. I was looking up ways to deal with this one major issue I have with my adhd. Which "Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria," Is basically what I was looking for. So I'm hoping this might help me get better at dealing with it.

• I was diagnosed by a doctore with adhd around the age of 3-4 years old. Then I was diagnosed when I started to see a psychiatrist with not just adhd but Asperger as well.

Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria I wasn't told that by a doctor. Though that isn't a completely different disorder. It's one of those things that just comes with the package of adhd for some people. Which I'm the severe type of adhd. So I never understood why I would automatically lash out at people when they criticized me. It's not on the normal level because I would react like they were attacking. Which I will talk about this with my therapist next time I see him. I'm so deathly terrified of anyone seeing my struggle due to my disorder. When others see or comment on it. I go straight to thinking they think i'm stupid and just I start to crash really fast and freak out. I rather claw my skin off than have to face others over all the things they described. I started crying when I read about it.

• Basically because it was making me face one of the top things I'm deathly terrified. Facing anyone about those things.