What kind of name is ''Washington Redskins''?

People would lose their shit if I tried to name a team New Jersey N*ggers. Or California Chinks.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not quite as bad, but it's not great either.

I'd like to see them -refine- the name, by calling themselves the Potomac. or patowomack, which is the actual native tribe in the area the Potomac river is named for. Not only would it be less offensive, it would actually be more specific to washington while still keeping the 'good' part of the name which is meant to evoke the bravery of native warriors. Some leaders from the tribe have publicly said they'd be happy to see the team use their tribe name.

• That's actually a really good idea.

Most Helpful Girl

• There are or were actually Native American tribes named Red Skins that lived inIllinois. "Nigger" is a racist term.

What kind of name do you expect when the mascot is an Indian/Native American? -_-

• Redskin is a dictionary defined racial slur though. And I don't think those people called themselves Red Skins.

• But they did and other tribes referee to their self as red and yellow boned which is what some black people call their self now.

What Guys Said 11

• It's a little strange nowadays but I think it's less jarring because there seems to have always been a measure of respect for Native Americans from Europeans (as well as fear and disdain) which Europeans did not have for Africans or to as great a degree for Chinese. You can see this in how proudly many 'white' Americans would proclaim how they were 1/8 or 1/16 Indian.

• You are right, the name needs to be changed, but it's been the name for a long time and people like to throw a fit, along with the legal issues.

Let's go Denver Whiteboys!

• Omg, imagine those two team playing against eachother!

The New Jersey N*ggers vs the California Chinks. The announcer would be hilarious to listen to 😂

• Did you know that there are native American schools which call themselves "Redskins?" They are Red Mesa High School in Red Mesa, Arizona, Wellpinit High School in Wellpinit, Washington and Kingston High School in Kingston, Oklahoma. The students at those schools are proud to call themselves Redskins.

• A lot of black people like to call each other "niggas" too. Doesn't mean other races too.

• @MyUsernameRules Yes, it is difficult to take their complaints seriously when they call themselves the very thing that they claim is offensive, but political correctness demands that we ignore that slight inconsistency.

These Indian schools do not use the name Redskin as an epithet but as a badge of honor.

• I suppose it comes from a time when there was no PC.

• PC isn't a thing. People made it up because they can't say whatever the hell they want not caring if it affects other people anymore.

• If we're going to go the "yes it is, no it isn't" route then I'm not going to bother.

• Okay then.

• I don't think anyone cares about Chinks...

• Or whatever it is you guys care about.

• If "Chinks" was truly offensive, why wouldn't you censor it?

• Well, it's not n*gger. I've had problems with people for not censoring the former, so I censor it now

• a name for a dysfunctional organization

anyways, want some butthurt cream?

• i agree its fucked up

• so you'll say redskins, chinks, but not niggers?

racist.

• It's racist and needs to be removed.

• It's iffy for sure but some Native Americans are offended by it and some are not.

What Girls Said 0