Have you ever lied about your age?

It's very common on here to find older users 35+ putting their ages in the 18-24 bracket or 25-29 bracket.
It's also very common to find younger users (under 18) putting their ages to 18-24 bracket or 25-29 and occasionally (30-35 age range).
I guess what these two different age groups have in common is that they feel that there is an acceptable age, where you're not looked at as "too old" and not "too young".

It's common people change their ages online,
But
Have you ever lied about your age real life?
Why or why not?

• Yes, I usually tell people I am older.
  • Yes, I usually tell people I am younger.
  • No, I accept and like my age.

Most Helpful Guy

• Whenever I tell someone I'm 60 they can't believe it, of course. To save time I just tell everyone I'm 38. I don't consider it lying if it helps the conversation along.

• Haters gonna hate! Just wait til you're 60 and have piles around the rim of your anus!

• Do you bunch of knuckleheads really think I'd lie about my age in real life, and be honest about it here? ; - )

Most Helpful Girl

• I dislike my age because I am 16, therefore most people-especially the older ones- tend to assume I am immature and a follower of the herd. They also tend to assume I am unintelligent simply because I have a certain opinion and I am so young. Even if I give a great answer I will receive negative comments or opinions simply because they think I am too young to be intelligent.
    I don't lie to people, and I hate when people lie to me, so I don't and never will lie about my age. I find that the people who are 40+ are more intelligent and accepting than anyone else on here, also people around my age (usually 16 to 20) are more accepting and kind.
    People like @redeyemindtricks and @KDA20 are more intelligent, and they seem to be more accepting.
    Because i am sixteen I am generally written off as unintelligent, immature, etc. That is why I try not to be. I am open minded and accepting of everyone, even if I dislike some people. I respect everyones opinions even if I disagree with their opinion, as long as they respect that they disagree with me.
    I accept that I am my age but I dislike it.

• See, in my book (... s lol) it's almost impossible for you to lose, at your age.

With adults, I don't have as much patience. I don't mind stupid, and I don't mind obstinate, but stupid AND obstinate? Nope. Game over, go home, you're an adult. That should've been beaten out of you at some point, whether literally or figuratively.

On the other hand, teenagers are totally **supposed** to be stupid, obstinate, and/or immature. Usually "and", sometimes "or". Some of the really stellar, precocious ones are only two of those three things. (:
      Honestly, when teenagers are too "mature", it just makes me suspicious. What is this act they're putting on? What are they trying to hide? If it's the internets, how old are they really? Is that "teenager" really my age? or whatever? You feel me.

I mean, really, you can't lose. Teenagers are fun. They're caricatures of themselves. They're giant big balls of -er and -est and -n't.

Whoa, I like that. I totally just made that up, right now.

• @KDA20 aw thank you /.\ I appreciate that.

• Well, I'm 1001 years old. If I seem like I must actually be 2001 years old, you can card me.
      (:

What Guys Said 43

• Virtually everyone who meets me (customers, waitstaff, etc.) guesses that my age is between 28-32. It's so common that it's a joke among my friends and family. I'm 5 years older than my brother, but looking at us, they always assume I'm younger. Several of the girls I've been with, including the most recent one, loved to ask people to guess how old I am, and it's always something between 28 and 32.

I'm 45. While I don't wear a sandwich board around all day stating "I'm 45 years old!", I don't exactly hide it, or lie, but clearly I could tell people I'm 30 and anyone who didn't already know me would believe it.

• Wow. That's almost two decades younger , I wish to have ur genes

• Well, I'm 25, so I guess I'm at the ripe age. Though, I wish I could be 21. But no. I have no reason to lie. I don't give a fuck what people think about me. That's also why I'm an asshole. I won't lie when I'm 35, either. Or 40. Or 50. No point.

However. This does bring up a social issue. Particularly in Western culture. What is praised is youth and vigor. Old people aren't as much respected here as seen as troublesome or undesirable or brain-decayed. Sorta the same in Japan, where it's even younger, where high school students are praised as the ideal age group. Though, they might respect their elders more. As for children, I have lied about my age when I was 12, 13. A 12 or 13 year old isn't very respected or intimidating.

• There was the odd time I did think why didn't put up a non descript avatar and pick an age in the 20s. In absolute fairness I say I have only been abused for my age probably between 10 and 15 times and there was occasions it got to me but overall I am happy I had a profile pic and true age because there is just so much of the youth culture I don't understand I would have been caught out fairly quick plus I feel more like me when my true information on display.
    In real life we are talking 30 years ago lying about my age to buy alcohol.

• When I was 12 I made a fake Skype account where I put my age as 27, just to hit on older girls. I even got nudes xD

#HadGameAt12LostItAt23

• "Yes, I usually tell people I am older." cuz I wanted to be a #OG aka an "original geezer" on here s3-ec.buzzfed.com/.../...ed-1596-1396589625-10.gif

• I don't like to give a real birthday to a website if I don't feel I'm obligated to. Unlike more serious business matters or government websites where I am obligated to.

• Nah, I'm 33 and totally cool with it. I'll run circles around most of these young GaG whippersnappers anyway, so the number don't matter to me.

• I'm 44. No one is going to mistake me for being in my 20s... and really does it matter much between 30s and 40s?

I'm 44. I've come to grips with that a long time ago.

• It doesn't really matter the age. But if you're in your 40s and could pass for a 30 year old that's really good genetics.

• I accept and like my age.

• I lied about my age when I was under 18 for various reasons (buying alcohol, getting cheaper tickets, etc). Since then I didn't have any need anymore.

• When I was younger, in my 20s, I lied on facebook about my age because I had a thing for older women. I found them more open and hornier... etc. Now that I am the age of those whom i would seek to speak to then, I am the perfect age. lol

• I used to lie about my age when I was younger. I used to say I was younger than I was so I could travel for free on public transport. 90% of the time it worked. I don't do it now though.

• no, I tell my real age... don't see the point in lying. Why should I do that? 27 is okay and I talk with people of all ages on here... no need to fake age

• I never do it online because I don't have any motives to deceive anyone. I am approaching 50 and I'm fine with that. In real life, I have a tough time convincing people about my age. People literally ask me for my driving licence. I don't feel. exactly proud of that; it has been a disadvantage for most of my life.

• Have I ever lied about my age? On here? Never. Anywhere else? I can't recall. I may have, but I couldn't say for sure.

• The only time I've lied about my age was when I was younger and I clicked on the "I am over 18. Enter site" lol

• I've always used my real age!

• I have never found a reason to lie about my age tbh, who knows if that would be the case in 10 years from now lol

• Yeah.. I tell the person who cards me that I'm 18-20 all the time

• When I was 17, I lied that I was 18 in order to get into pubs and nightclubs, LOL.

• I accept and like my age.

• I've only lied about my age when I was under 18 and too young to drink and I wanted to drink or watch an 18+ rated movie.

• Nope welllll... I did have a fake id does that count? 😂

• I don't entirely believe anything I see or read online. This includes ages or if a profile pic is even them.

• I tend to look late 20's instead of 40 so i guess I've never felt the need to.

• Really like who?

• people allways assume i´m younger but i never lie.

• Nobody believes me when I tell them my real age...

• Really? What the fuck for?

• More from Guys
    13

What Girls Said 32

• Do people remember their exact ages, immediately, past a certain point?

When I was in my mid 30's, I legitimately did not remember right away whether I was 34, 35, 36, 37 or 38. I'd get it right within a year or two, but sometimes I'd have to be like wait, lemme calculate.

When I am a multiple of 10, ± 1 year, i am on point.

I imagine this will be even more of a thing in future decades. I mean, srsly? If you're, like, 56, do you actually remember RIGHT AWAY that you're 56 and not, say, 55 or 57?

• Omg! My guy is 37 and he hasn't remembered his age for the past 7 years.
      After 30... he seems to forget
      He tells people he's 34 or 35 because he genuinely doesn't remember his age.
      I always joke with him and say, Its cause you're old!! I wouldn't want to remember either!

• Ahhh, I'll take your word for it.
      I'll definitely wait.

Also, I notice that the older a woman gets the less likely people want to ask her age.
      It's almost like the topic you should never bring up when a woman passes her prime.

• Also, honey, the years, they go by faster.
      I mean, I don't think I would ever give a number that's too high-- like, I think I would still have a sense of "nope, that number still sounds unfamiliar". But, yeah. I have three kids, so there are lots of birthdays and numbers in this house, here.

My prime will last forever. Forever and ever and ever. La la la la la la la.

• I don't see the need to lie about my age, but I get quite tired with having bitter, 18-24 year old men on certain posts telling me that because I am over 30 that I must look like a hag.

I am not going to compromise my anonymity, rise to these guys' bait and post a picture of myself just to demonstrate to these guys that the notion that all women start to age rapidly at 30 is not true.

I also have zero sexual attraction to men in their 20s. Late 30s up to early 50s would be my preference, but younger G@G users seem to think that women over 30 on here are all after younger men.

Very occasionally, I have had some good, insightful responses to a question from 20 something men, but 90% of the time I'll end up giving the MHO to a guy in his 40s, or older, as they are the same age as the men I am involved with, and so better placed to give me a useful answer.

G@G used to have an option for filtering the feed by age category and I wish they would bring that back.

• Lol. Yeah.. people think age 30 = ugly.
      They haven't seen me, or you!
      They are comparing women that are 30 to those that let themselves go.
      Last time I checked, Not all 18 year old women were prizes.
      Some people let themselves go early on.

• That's terrible.

I'm 29 and I still have a young looking body.
      Small breasts, small hips, big bubble butt.
      And I have a youthful face.
      Big eyes, narrow facial features.
      I only dress up a lot.

We can't stop the aging process.
      But if you care for yourself it definitely shows.
      I'm also into running.

• *I always dress up a lot.

• At my last job it was a long running joke that people would say I'm 12 or 15 because of a day I had a teacher yell at me to get with their class because they assumed I was a part of their field trip. So I tell people I'm one of those two ages as a joke but they actually believe me!

• They believe you?
      Wow :P

That's a compliment!
      That means when you get old, you'll look youthful if you take care of yourself.

• @redeyemindtricks I believe it is because of the law, I worked in a place where we were instructed to card if they didn't look 30. But the lady was just rude towards me straight away, which I found to be a little uncalled for :/

• She may have just been having a bad day.

I am always nice to customer service people. Always. There's never anything to gain from being otherwise. And a lot of the time, I get free stuff because I am nice.
      (;

• I lied about my age when I first joined GAG I was 15 and wasn't going to wait a year. Eventually they found out and told me to leave and come back once I was 16 but it kinda pissed me off cobsdering right after that happened they lowered the age limit 😒

Have I lied about my age yeah. So I can get into places where you need to be 21 (not to drink or anything like that) or to go see Rated R movies.

• Only cause mom made me... There were several times she made me say I'm younger than I actually was to get discounts and stuff T_T Otherwise, no.

• No, I accept and like my age.

• Now, no.

But when I was younger, I'd lie to get into clubs and bars..

Tho, people often accuse me of saying I'm older then I am lol

• No, I've never lied about my age online or in real life. I've never seen the need to.

• The only time I ever lied about my age was when I was on Neopets and wanted to use the message boards despite being about 12. I pretended to be 18.

• I lie about my age when those peple in front of the station stop you to sign a petition and you need to be 18 at least. "Sorry, I'll be 18 in a few months, key , bye" *continues running to catch her train*

• The one time I lied about my age is because my mom made me lol. Kids age 7 and below travelled with train for free. And I was like 9 or 10 and mom was like "you could pass for 7 so if he asks you are 7 years old" lmao

• Nah, I'm fine with my age. I haven't lied about it.

• No. I don't lie about my age but I don't accept it either lol. I hate being in the older end of the gag spectrum.

• nope i've never lied about my age

• I know it's not ideal but I have lied about my age when getting into clubs before, sometimes I also need to if I want to get into local live music events and festivals. In some situations you need to.

• One time lied and said I was 12 years old when I was 14. It was some sort of deal at a restaurant and I wanted a cheaper meal, but that's the only time I ever lied about it tho

• A long time ago I would always tell people I was older. When I was 12 I said I was 15 because the site I was on was mostly teens and they didn't like people who were too young.
    But now I use my real age

• Yeah, when I was younger my parents made me lie that we were one year younger so they'd give us the child price at restaurants xD
    Other than that I've always been honest with my age, however people usually think I'm a couple years older than I am.

• I did it once o get a facebook account but im old enough now

• No, I haven't, lol

• Well... when in college and under 21... one must do what one must do...😂😂😂

• nope never had to

• If I was doing to lie about my age would it be 38? hahaha

• i usually just go along with what people guess. it's what they want to hear.

• My mom made me lie about my age, to pay for a cheaper train ticket.

• Well I put my age wrong in this so now I'm 28 but really I'm 18

• No I'm really 19 😭😔

• I don't like my age, because people have a tendency of judging you on your age instead of your mind.

• I used to tell guys I was 18 when I was 17 (guys in their 30s+). That wasn't smart

• No, people think I'm 13-15 anyway

• More from Girls
    2