Do I have an alcohol use problem?

I am 19, but ever since i started drinking (at 16) I had trouble controlling my intake. In the last year however it has gotten worse. I have gotten drunk (wasted and blacked/passed out) many times alone - sometimes multiple times in a week. I drink alone if I am feeling really upset/depressed. I also drink socially frequently. I always end up drinking way more than I planned on drinking, to the point of blacking out most of the times. I feel like once I ve started drinking I can t - and dont want to - stop. I have gotten into fights when drunk and injured myself and others. My friends and boyfriend have gotten very angry with my behavior when drunk. I don t drink every week even and I can go for periods of time without drinking, but once I start I just want more and more. Also, my grandpa was an alcoholic. Is this an alcohol use disorder? I want to get better, should I stop drinking?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes.. Im in the same situation... I can go for long peroids of not drinking but once i do, its hard to stop, especially for the night.. And addiction does run in the family.. Tho i dont even black out or get hangovers, when people realize how much i drink, they say it a problem (especially for the liver)... I would suggest not drinking ever again, even one or two drinks... Butbit seems the longer you go without, the easier it is

Most Helpful Girl

• It could be hereditary, you should stop drinking when you can, try drinking other things instead, go out more instead of being stuck at home all day, try to find other hobbies. You will get past it, I mean I drink almost every weekend when I go out, and I stick to certain days.

What Guys Said 2

• Go to AA please

• If you can't control it you have a problem.

What Girls Said 1

• You bet you should stop drinking. Alcoholism is hereditary