Is it disrespectful for a mixed man to claim black if his father is a white man?

Or when a mixed woman calls herself a black woman, when her mother is white. That mixed man, can't relate to a black man because the on who birthed him isn't a black man. And a mixed woman can't relate to black women because the woman who birthed her isn't black.

Most Helpful Guy

• That is very arbitrary - They seem to be not able to win - Say mixed and they are betraying their race - Say black and they are a fraud

Most Helpful Girl

• I have mixed race family members and friends and the one thing I've come to understand is that, you are allowed to call yourself or refer to yourself as whatever you want. The world will constantly try to define who it is THEY think you are, but for you personally, you are who you want to be or be referred to as and its your right to ask that others call you by that if you're so inclined. Race is still a very difficult and complex issue in the US and globally. We live in a time where there are more mixed race families than ever, and people still dealing with one drop rules, and people not considering mixed race people as the two races. In the long run, its not disrespectful. I'm sure families have talked about it for forever and a day, and to me, let them define themselves.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 4

• "... mixed man, can't relate to a black man... mixed woman can't relate to black women "
    Oh really? Tell me, what does it mean to "be black" or to "be white". Unless you plan to use racially based stereotypes, which is incredibly racist to do, then you would be wrong here.

Not all "black people" are the same, nor all "white people". I live in an upscale gated community, yes, mostly whites, but the yard of the month award usually goes to the nice black couple on the corner, and it's a white family in the culdesac always having cops called out to deal with their drug dealer trust fund kid.

The color of your skin does NOT define you! I can't relate to YOU because you're an ignorant child.

• I'm mixed too so I understand and I identify myself as black because let's be honest white supremacy exist and no matter if ones parent is white, black people will never be treated the same way as white people. You can identify however you want to identify but in white supremacists eyes, you're black and nothing more. It's just the truth. It sucks that we live in such a complex era. Anyways to answer your question, no I don't think its disrespectful:)

• I am mixed with a white mother, but I am also a BLACK woman. I don't care about how you feel. You don't get to deny me of my blackness. Society sees me as black, my mother sees me as black, my father sees me as black, my friends see me as black and I see myself as black. Get. Over. It.

• what kind of question is this?