Do you consider Egyptians to be Arabs?

• Yes (I'm Egyptian)
  • No (I'm Egyptian)
  • Yes (I'm Arab)
  • No (I'm Arab)
  • Yes (other)
  • No (other)

Most Helpful Guy

• No, original Egyptians were definitely not Arabs, Egypt was occupied by Arabs in the 7th century, but true Egyptians still exist, despite the Arabic assimilation. Copts are the only true Egyptians: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coptic_identity
    Presently, Copts are a minority in their own land, due to the centuries of forceful arabization.

• "Copts are the only true Egyptians" You know the origin of the word's meaning, right? You're essentially saying Egyptians are the only true Egyptians... yeah, no shit.

If you're talking about only the Christians being "true Egyptians", you're heavily mistaken.

• Good man. But not because people don't know their true origin it changes who they are. I can keep going around saying that I'm European and argue everyone who disagrees but, no matter how many times I say it, I'm still not European.

• @DBAOracle Indeed, I agree 100%.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 19

• Yes. Egyptians are Arabic. They look straight up Arabic, for one. For two, Egypt was part of the Ottoman Empire for like 350 years or so. That means they've probably definitely got typical Arabic genes.

"Arab" is technically people from Western Asia, North Africa, and some parts of the Horn of Africa.

And pretty much the absolute killer... They're part of the "Arab League"... Open and shut. They are Arabs.

• LOL, you are just proving your complete ignorance... Ottomans are Turks - Not Arabs.
      Arabs are technically people from the Arabian Peninsula, they have occupied Egypt, Assyria, Mesopotamia and other old civilizations of Middle East and North Africa in the medieval times, they have conducted assimilation of indigenous population of these countries.
      The only reason why Egypt is part of the so called "Arab league" is because large majority of population were forcefully arabizated in the past.

• Yeah. They do. But hey. I hardly imagine the Spaniards just systematically raped everyone in South America and Mexico for generations. There was probably some voluntary stuff. Probably after the whole raping and pillaging thing, with the next generations.

What makes an "original" Egyptian? ... Wtf. Okay, I looked up some pictures of various peoples. Are Turkish people white? Are Persians white? Oh, you know. That reminds me. I watched a rather fucked up Kurdish movie on the whole Afghanistan/Iraq wars thing, and I had thought it was a reproduction made by Russians or something. They were, like, white-white.

So, okay. Are there just a bunch of white people I never knew about over there?

• No, Turkish, Kurdish and Persian people are not completely white, they are a bit brown, but they are not Arabic, I mean, Hindu people are also brown, but it's kinda stupid calling them "Arabs".
      By original Egyptians I mean descendants of the ancient Egyptians - Copts.
      As for the Spaniards, they were raping at least for several generations, before they created mixed race, however, some Mayans and Aztecs managed to preserve their race and even language, as you can see, Aztecs even have wikipedia in their own language (Nahuatl): https://nah.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calīxatl

• They're part of the Arab World, yeah, but I think many Egyptians don't claim to be Arab. Or is it some other country that I'm thinking about? I can't remember for sure.

• Yes, most Egyptians are Arabs. "Arab," by the way, is not a race but a pan-ethnic group based on language and other cultural factors.

• I would say arab - Middle east even though in Africa

• Are you serious? From what i've seen, they dislike everyone coming from the west and the east. #interracial is the term.

• They are Arabs

• Didn't realize this was so controversial lol, it's common knowledge in the US

• @DBAOracle I agree, that would be fantastic :D

• @ChocoLada Yeah, or even better, bring Egypt back to the glory of the New Kingdom!

• I don't really care. Most arabs are swedes now anyway.

• If anything they're Africans

• I'm not sure but i think original (real) Egyptians are not arab

• Nationally African American
    No I don't, I consider then African

• Africa is not a nation...

• And you're not an African American if you were born in the US. You're just an American.

• I am Egyptian and I pretty much think we r Arabian coz we speak Arabic

Response?

• Maybe not the Israelites. Potential terrorist/rapist maybe.

• @Explore2016 but the Americans is , potential? Oh okie well be careful then coz I bite

• Egyptians are arab despite being in Africa
    And Saudi's are Arab despite being in western Asia.

• I wish I could see who disliked.
      And know what exactly they disagree with.

• Egypt is not located in Arabia but (unlike Ancient Egyptians) most of the modern Egyptians descend from Arabs. Which is why they are usually considered "Arabics".

• Lol, yeah?

• They are Arabs.

• they speak Arabic. whyshouldn't they be?

• @ElissaDido Do you?

• Are Americans English? No!
    Do Americans officially speak English language? Yes!
    Hence - Language doesn't determine their ethnic group... the same goes for the Egyptians and Arabs... they don't share the common origins, because Arabs have conquered Egypt about 1400 years ago, but Arabs are not indigenous population of Egypt.
    Enforcing Arabic language in Egypt, by the conquerers - doesn't make Egyptians the same as Arabs... they differ from them by their anthropological and genetic attributes.

• I consider them African.

What Girls Said 11

• Dont know I suppose id say egyptian rather than Arab because of the length of Egypt being an actual country like 7000 years or something and I think they only speak Arabic due to the Muslims taking Egypt from Christianity and imposing the religion and language on them as others did in the past.

• That was very smart

• I wouldn't consider Egypt a Christian nation either. This country wasn't found on any Abrahamic religion. But I'll admit that the last native Egyptian language was Coptic.

• If you could tell @Omar5881 that lol @DBAOracle

• Thanks asker, yeah I'm from Egypt ethnically, but nationally I'm born Australian. linguistically, i refer to myself as arab, other times i don't.
    why i do this is because i associate 'arabian' with those who speak arabic. muslims brought arabic into egypt. long before that, egypt was predominantly christian and they spoke coptic. since I'm not muslim, i live in australia, but i speak arabic, the term 'arab' has no meaning to me other than the language i can speak.

that's just my view.

• just from the comments, i didn't know this was such a big deal
    it reminds me of my former algerian roommate, who is berber, and doesn't like the arabs because they practically wiped out berber culture and language. she is only united with them by virtue of religion.

• No, I consider them African since Egypt is in Africa

• Yes Egypt is part of the Arab league, if Egypt is not Arab then no other Arab country is Arab.
    1) Do Egyptians for most part consider themselves Arab? Yes
    2) Is the official language in Egypt Arabic? Yes
    3) Is Egypt part of the Arab leaugue? Yes
    Then Egypt is absolutely Arab.

• wow people negged the crap out of you.

• @KENKONG lol I know, they are stupid, even egyptians commented and said they were Arab lol

• I know Egyptians who consider themselves Arab and if you say otherwise you will get a history lesson. Most Americans will consider them African American, cause you know America is ignorant as hell

• Yep! They are Arabs.

• Yes, they are the country that speaks that central Arabic language dialect.

• Nah, I have several Egyptian friends, none of them refer to themselves as Arabs, they are all Copts, and they actually dislike Arabs... which is quite understandable, after all, Egypt was a victim of Arab invasion, long time ago.

• Nope, Egyptians are Hamitic ethnicity, while Arabs are Semitic ethnicity. Arabic language was imposed to the Egyptians by the Arab invaders in the middle ages, along with islamic religion and Arabic letters. Therefore, most Egyptians have lost their original ethnic identity, but their origins are absolutely not Arabic.

• Yeah, that's also true. The whole "Arab Egypt" thing started in the 1950s.

• @DBAOracle Exactly :D

• No way, I'm Egyptian and we are most certainly NOT Arabs: www.youtube.com/watch
    Only assimilated Egyptians think they are "Arabs", but they have no idea about our true history.

• Definitely true. I didn't watch the video though but people are really mistaken about Egyptian history.

• Now that I watched the video, it was funny how she told her son to fail geography but make sure to pass history... LOL. If only all mommies were that open-minded...

• @DBAOracle Yeah, I agree :D