Anyone noticed how Animal Planet isn't very animally any more?

Random question but have you?

They used to have shows like Big Cat Diaries and Meerkat Mannor and such. They really focused on the animals with very little human screen time.

Now they have shows like Tanked and Treehouse Masters which focus almost exclusively on humans. I don't even think there are animals on Treehouse Masters lol

I'm disappointed because I thought the older shows were really interesting. I enjoyed watching the channel because of the animal documentaries and now it seems very unanimal haha

• I've noticed this also and am disappointed in the channel
  • I've noticed this also but don't care
  • I hadn't noticed this at all

Most Helpful Guy

• All initially-themed TV channels eventually abandon their theme and move towards the lowest-common denominator because that's what makes them the most money. Even if the founder is strongly for the theme, he'll rarely be in the job more than a decade (he'll either retire or move to a more lucrative job) and the next guy will ditch the original theme to grow the bottom line.

Sad but true.

Most Helpful Girl

• I LOVED Orangutan Island! Meerkat Manor and Big Cat Diary were also awesome. Treehouse Masters is actually pretty good, but different from what the channel used to be about, yes. I don't think Tanked or Treehouse Masters are that off base of like "the world" and "environmentalism". And I think Animal Planet includes more than just strictly animals. It'd be nice if they brought back some animal documentaries. They were probably a lot of work to make and film.

Pittbull Paroles is really good

What Guys Said 7

• Yeah, it's kind of similar to the History Channel. I miss the documentaries about animals.

• Yep, you are totally right... I have nostalgia for the old animal documentaries :(

• this always seems to happen.

Look at MTV, G4TV and the History channel, they are no longer about the subject material they were created to be...

• Yeah I've noticed that as well, it's turned into another reality show channel unfortunately.

• It bums me out. I found the channel to be very educational back in the day but now... not so much.

• Yeah I agree, but unfortunately most people don't want to be educated while watching television, they just want to watch a mindless reality show, like tanked and tree house masters. And I agree with what Toad-1 said, a lot of those sorts of channels are now becoming this way, and it bums me out as well.

• I don't watch TV much, but I do like to check out programmes on nature and animals and am, too, thoroughly disappointed in AP :(

• I didn't know that channel was still going

• lmfao.
    that is all

What Girls Said 5

• Definitely noticed that. I miss the old shows they had.

• My favorite AP show is North Woods Law.

• i haven't seen that in at least 10 years but i wish i could've seen that big cat show

• If I want to watch animals I look at documentaries on netflix now. I voted B

• I meant to pick A and accidentally picked C