Do you believe a 60 feet tall giant would die if he falls from a 30 feet building?

Here's ma theory... if a 6' man falls from like a 3' chair... nothing's gonna happen... some small injury at most... right?

Of course if he falls from a 30' building he'd die for sure... and if he's lucky enough to survive da fall... well he'd be bound to a wheelchair for da rest of his life...

So if a 60' tall giant falls from a 30' building it's like a 6' man falling from a 3' chair... right? So nothing's gonna happen in his case...

But wot do u believe?

• yes...
    31% (5)48% (11)41% (16)Vote
  • no...
    69% (11)52% (12)59% (23)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
3|11

Most Helpful Girl

• That'd be like if I fell 2.5 feet... so no.

2|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• okay here's the issue everything falls at roughly the same rate. and impact comes from speed and mass. so your theoretical giant would weigh in at roughly 810 lbs (that's 3 lbs per inch over 6' and 160 lbs at 6') and would hit the ground at roughly 30 MPH. In force that would be about 658178 newtons of force (147964.26 foot pounds) see:hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/flobi.html for details.
    So how much force can your theoretical giant take before damage? There are two parts of the body: bone, and soft tissue (organs) at 158,000 foot pounds even at 10 times strength and density bones would snap, and organs would rupture, because the body would have more time to gain momentum (about 2 seconds of falling time) it just couldn't survive the fall.

0|1
    0|1
    • very detailed answer... but I assume giant would weigh like 1600 lbs... compared wid a 6' guy weighing 160 lbs...

• Show All
    • @takumii no but I have a degree in applied physics (electronics) and questions like this intrigue me. It triggers this, hmm... reaction.

• If you change the scale then you'd have to change physics for the giant.

The giants body would have to be adapted to the size. The tissue, the bone, all of it would have to be unique to the giant or else just walking or even standing would cause injury.

What Girls Said 2

• Well it depends. How big was King Kong and how far did he fall from that skyscraper?

0|0
    0|0
    • 20-25 feet...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360717/trivia

King Kong is being described as 25 feet tall on his hind legs by the makers of this version, half as tall as the filmmakers of King Kong (1933) described their "50-foot" Kong. However, in proportion to people and objects in that film, the original Kong was actually around the same height (20-25 feet) as the new Kong.

• And King Kong was shot down. He didn't die from the fall.

• This is one of the most incredible questions I've ever faced... Thank you so much!

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 10

• No, the giant would probably be injured, but not dead, because I presume that giants would have much stronger bones and muscles... compared to normal size humans.

1|1
    0|0
  • i said no, but when i thought about it, i started changing it to yes (or at least get more hurt). i don't think a size of a human scales. i know a lot of things like cars do. i'm not a physicist or anything, but i watch mythbusters and shit. like when they do a test, they do something with a toy car or toy rocket or whatever. the problem is that they never scale right. like when they have proportional speeds and stuff, the actual car gets 50x more fucked up than the toy car. they also aren't accurate representations and are weighted differently so I don't know how much you can rely on those too...

the only thing left to do is get mermaid man's shrink ray and change it to w for wumbo!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lMu8V5Xa90

0|0
    0|0
    • Kinetic energy is = mass X velocity squared/2.

So it's linear with mass. Five times the mass, five times the kinetic energy.

Generally speaking if a giant had human proportions but was 10 times as tall, it would also be 10 times as 'thick' and ten times as 'wide'. Which means it would have 1000 times the mass. By contrast, muscular strength is based on cross sectional area, so it would go up more like 100 times. Similarly bone strength would probably be more in the 100 times range.

That's why if you look at the proportions of say an insect vs. a human vs. an elephant you can see the legs have to get proportionately much bigger.

• @0112358 the only i know that different animals wouldn't be proportional, however, I don't know if the person would die. like, we have nothing to compare it to. i would imagine the human would survive, but it wouldn't put it past me if they died due to the shear fall and for all the reasons you explained. but thanks for the informations and explanation! that was really interesting.

• But it's still a 30 feet fall, so it's falling from the same height as a 6 feet guy would. The giant would die.

0|1
    1|1
  • This guy fell from a building and survived

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=llrT-2gN2lI

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, because of square cubic law. as you grow, surface area goes up by a factor of 2 but mass (volume) goes up by a factor of 3. The bigger you are the harder gravity will pull you down and damage you, even if it's a short distance relatively to your height. This also why ants receive no damage if dropped from heights hundreds of times their own height. They barely have any mass for the earth to attract.

0|1
    0|0
    • I thought about the same. Additionally the higher he is, the more time he has to accelerate throughout the fall.

• Depends what he falls on really.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think he will break some bones but won't die.

0|0
    0|0
  • If he isn't magically super sturdy, yes. But given his size it is perhaps more likely he will just break a whole lot of bones.

0|0
    0|0
  • Structure does not scale because the strength of materials remains constant as the stresses increase exponentially

This is why you can easily break a 1/2" diameter stick that is 3' long but not one 1" long. It's part of the reason (air resistance and terminal velocity is the other) why if you dropped a small mouse from the top of the empire state building it would walk away but if you dropped a horse it would liquefy and leave a crater.

0|0
    0|0
  • Throw an ant from 20 feet in the air, it will live. You'd die. The giant would probably die from an even lower height than you. The forces involved grown exponentially with mass, while the ability to handle the blow does not.

0|3
    0|0
    • And still there's a possibility that he could break his neck and die immediately

• How's it possible to throw an ant? Ant sticks in yer hand hahaha...

And I don't think a 60' giant will die if he falls from a height like 20' (an average human might die if he/she falls from dat height)...

by the way... a 2' baby might die though if it falls from a 3' chair... hm...

• Gave a longer answer below, but basically mass goes up by height increase cubed, while ability to take the damage doesn't rise as quickly.