Why are even board games dominated by guys?

I'm currently advanced in checkers and intermediate in chess. I was playing these great players (all guys) but so far, several draws but yes I'm planning to continue practice.

But damn, on this playing site there were only 2 girls (me including) while everyone else were guys.

So yeah why aren't more girls involved in board games like guys are. These players were like begging us not to leave, otherwise there are no girls. lol

Most Helpful Guy

• Chess is a game that plays to male strengths. There are, of course, always outliers- people who more than a couple of standard deviations away from the mean.

If we look at male IQs vs female IQs, they seem to have very similar means. However, the standard deviation is greater for men. What that means is, men are more spread out. There are more male idiots, but also more male geniuses. IQ tests test for the EXACT kind of skills that are involved in chess. It's not surprising that chess, being (at least at the higher levels) a sport that requires a high IQ, would attract more men to women.

I'm afraid this really can't be changed with anything except biological evolution. Which takes a long-ass time.

• True , that makes sense

• Additionally chess is pretty much a simplified board-version of playing war and strategising. Something women are not meant to do nor are usually interested in. Women rather strategise socially. So even if the general IQ would be similar - men would be way more interested and most likely better at chess with a few female exceptions.

• @FakeName123 And those few female exceptions are the ones we need to clone =)

What Guys Said 10

• There is nothing preventing women from signing on to those sites, and if you aren't being ridiculed or put down because of your gender then there is nothing to stop other women from joining. Therefore it's pure preference, it seems that most women just want to do something else. Hardly anyone's fault.

• Yeah, none of my friend females care about board games

• Be proud to be a pioneer.

• Thanks; have thought about participating in tournaments in the near future.

• I was too busy playing with them dolls XD

• Id probably beat you at both 😏 I am a pretty mean overall good board game player

• Evidently there is a difference in preference somewhere along the line.

• There are female dominated activities.

• Guys are better at strategy.

• Yeah I guess so. I saw these guys playing 1-3 mins games. That's too fast for me. I always set it up for 7-15 mins.
      Though once I did tried a 2 mins games, it ended up in a draw but it wasn't. It was a grandmaster at then told me I missed my won a couple moves back. Look thing the games was on displayed, I looked it up and after several mins of looking at it.. he was right, it was a missed won for me.

• Interesting how one single move makes a big difference... had I seen it at the moment, it would have been my first won against a that master. Oh well... I'm still practicing.

• Speed chess (down at the two minute a game) just requires a lot of pattern recognition. I've always been more of a 40/90 (40 moves in 90 minutes) kind of guy.

• Two things give guys an edge. Guys are more likely to have extreme powers of concentration and guys have a flatter 'bell curve' mentally. This basically means there are more extremely smart and extremely stupid guys compared to girls who tend to be closer to the average.

• A higher proportion of men then women are interested in
    - games of logic vs personal relationships
    - competition
    - abstract strategy.

There are absolutely women who are fascinated by these things and exceptional at them. Its just less common. Most guys don't play chess/checkers either, it's just the minority of guys who do is bigger than the minority of girls who do.

• because women are naturally inferior in all things. i hope i'm wrong though and its just my prejudice talking.

• No, dude your forgetting about competitive knitting & freestyle doily making! Every year they CRUSH us!!

What Girls Said 2