Terms of affection used by females and males to people of their own gender?

Firstly, I probably wouldn't mind so much calling my guy friends hun or something, if I didn't think they'd find it weird or anything. i did use to with one guy but then he was like huh hun?
but anyway, I know a lot of girls who are friends call each other things like that and they feel normal
but guys just feel weird if another guy says whats up honey? or something
is it just the male/female nature which does that?

Most Helpful Girl

• I sometimes call my friends "babe" even my guy friends 😂 They don't mind being my babes 😂

Most Helpful Guy

• I think I just call everyone "dude" or "man", regardless of sex/gender, if I ever use any of those terms. (like, hey dude, what's up or hey man, what's up; back in the day I also used "good day Sir" regardless of sex, too)

No, I don't use "babe" nor "honey".

My girlfriend sometimes refer to me as "my heart" (yeah, it works better in Hungarian), but I think she only does that if I did something that made her dumbfounded and she's correcting me.

What Girls Said 7

• Everyone is a dude.

• i dont use terms of affection for anyone. it feels incredibly uncomfortable silly and fake. always has.

im a female.

• Yeah guys just don't do that...

• I love using affectionate names for my girlfriends (and sometimes guys) and the girls do the same. It's fun, light and honestly makes people smile :D Also for me I do it because I like being emotionally open and vulnerable.

• I don't call my female friends hun, baby unless their is a sad moment and I'm trying to comfort her. I called a male friend baby and he looked at me like I was trying to have sex with him.

• I just use either nicknames or names for everyone. I don't have any real terms of endearment for people unless they're children or my boyfriend.

• Hun sweetheart honey dearest girl ducky pretty much any pet name one might use on a significant other is use on a girl

What Guys Said 9

• You're spot on, it's just the way male and female brains function. I would never feel comfortable with a guy friend calling me 'hun' or something similar, and I too would never sue those words for a guy friend.

• I think the male version is using terms like dude, man , mate, buddy , friend those are like damn near declarations of fraternal love.

• I don't call any guy hun; I would call guys bro.

• I call most of my male friends something along the line of "fatty", "fatass", "lardo", or "jabba the gut".

• I upvoted everyone who wrote dude. Because.

• Bro, man, and dude are what I usually use for my male friends.

• I just use words like "dude," "man," or "bud." That's as endearing as I get with the fellas.

• 'Dude'
    'Bro'
    'Buddy'
    'Fam' (there's a British guy at college who says this all the time, it became an in-joke)

• I rarely use terms like those anyway, regardless of gender. I just refer to people by their name.