Why is it bad to chew ice cubes?

I've always heard people say that it's bad for you - why exactly?

Most Helpful Guy

• Puts a lot of strain on your teeth. That's about the biggest reason you would have to not chew ice cubes.

It's possible that this was also just started by parents to keep their kids from chewing ice, like telling their kids to not touch birds or the mother won't come back.

What Guys Said 7

• I think it's bad for your teeth.

• Its not bad. Go ahead and do it. There is a disease where people eat not edible things like dirt or clay or other things. can't remember the name of it

• I thought it can put fractures in your teeth.

• Ditto what others said about tooth fractures. My dentist despises the practice.

• Eat crushed ice instead, same effect without so much wearing on your teeth.

• I hope this isn't true cuz I'm chewing every ice cube I get in my drink.

• If you kill people with ice cubes the police will never find the murder weapon

What Girls Said 12

• I've never heard that before, I have heard that people with low iron or iron deficiencies are more prone to chew on ice but I'm not sure how true that is.

• pretty damn true.
      my mom is anemic and she hella chews on ice

• @LilWeezey huh, really? I'm also anemic and do the same which is why someone brought that up to me but another person told me it wasn't right. But your confirmation is great, thanks! :)

• I don't know! eh... something about teeth!

• This question made me hungry for an ice cube 😧😐 Dammit.

• I think you can crack your teeth. Physical embrittlement by low temperatures? No idea.

• I've never heard that oO

• It might chip or crack your tooth or causes further movement of tooth position in the long run.

• something about it possibly breaking your teeth or the enamel on your teeth.
    i think its just people not letting me live my life to the fullest

• Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome

• It's bad because the temperature is too cold and ice cubes are too solid that it hurts your teeth.

• I did that once, I don't know if its wrong thoe

• My teeth have a hole by chewing ice

• It hurts your teeth