Ever have to put an animal down?

My cat is gonna be 16 in 5 weeks. She has decreased a lot due to her age but she still eats (gotten skinny though) and goes to the bathroom (blood in stool), still walks (hips bother her) you can tell she's slowing down. I kinda want nature to take its course so I dont have to decide but I dont want her to be in pain. Ever have to put an animal down!

Most Helpful Guy

• The blood is worrying, have you checked that with the vet?

Just like people, cats will get slower and stiffer as they age, that's natural - but passing blood and losing a lot of weight are warning signs there might be something wrong.

I wouldn't put a pet down just because she's getting old and slow: an old slow cat with a comfy warm place to sleep could still be perfectly happy - but if she's ill and in pain, that's very different.

What Guys Said 13

• Had a cockatiel that developed a problem. Vet was not sure what was going on, but fluid was building up in its abdomen and causing discomfort and loss of balance. Drained it once, but it came back quickly. Had to put it down. Hurt the whole family!

Don't let it stay in pain. Have her put down and be with her as she passes. It will be bet for both of you.

• nah but i was the one to bag and tag them and dump em in the freezer.

• Yes every pet I've had we've had to put down. It's never easy but it's better than the alternative.

• I had to put my 18 year old cat down at the end of October.

• We had to put our German Shepherd down after she was slammed by a car. She was only four years old! My sister and I want to find the beast who did it and kill them because they didn't stop to apologize!

• No I could never😢

• I never had too this far but maybe i will soon with my dog. I won't let him suffer!

• Never had to personally... but others in my family has.

It can be heartbreaking.

• i had to put my cat down once, his kidneys started to fail so we had too, it sucked

• Nope, I have not.

• Never personally...

• i don't know maybe purple teardops or udoli pixie, they should be put down

• You mean euthanize at a veterinary facility? No.

I have, however, shot and killed animals, most recently groundhogs.

What Girls Said 3

• Unfortunately, yes, I've had to. Well, me and my family. Our dog was quite old (not exactly sure how old but I think about 11), she had cancer. The cancer hadn't bothered her for a long time but it started to spread. She became blind. She had arthritis. She began to lose a lot of weight and would constantly need to go to the bathroom but could only pass blood. We think that she eventually had a stroke too, either that or the cancer got to her brain. She wouldn't stop walking in circles and could never rest. It was then that we decided that this was no life for her. She'd been happy and her tail had wagged before so we'd allowed her to continue, but after that, you could just tell that that wasn't our dog. She wasn't happy and we knew she was suffering a lot. It hurts, but it's part of being a pet owner. You're supposed to enhance their life and make sure they're happy and comfortable, but it's also up to you to make the hard decisions for them and if they're suffering, to end it.

• One of our cats has arthritis and she takes some supplements that really help her. Is there anything the vet can do for her?

• No. The first pet I've ever had is my dog, and he's only 7 years old. I don't want to think about what I may have to do when he gets old...