Mirror says,"YAAAAASSS, CHILD!!" but camera says "What the wah? An elephant sat on your face or sum?" ?

You look good in the mirror, but once you take a pic of yourself, you see a whole other person that looks hideously ugly. Why does this happen? Or does this just happen to me? 😂

Most Helpful Guy

• The reason is physics :-). When you look at yourself in the mirror, you don't actually see yourself. What you see is a mirrored image of yourself. One would think that doesn't make a big difference but it does. For our mind, this image feels almost like a different person. This is partially why most animals are not capable of recognizing themselves in the mirror. Other humans, apes (such as chimps) and dolphins are some of the only animals that can do this.
    When you look at a photo of yourself however, you see yourself the way you really look, the way everyone else sees you. Now as it happens, we are less critical with other people's looks as with our own (usually). This is why we find the mirrored image to be prettier. But even more importantly, most people are much more used to seeing themselves in the mirror than on a photo. For example I look in the mirror every day but I don't often look at photos of myself. So we are much more used to the way we look in the mirror and this creates the wrong impression that this is the "natural" or "normal" look when in reality, it's actually quite the opposite and the photo-look is more realistic.

• I do believe you're right.

• by the way. what I said last refers to a psychological thing called the "mere-exposure effect". This effect states that humans tend to prefer stuff simply because they have been exposed to them for a long time. It's the same reason why some kids whose parents can't cook end up only eating pizza and fast food. If you only get exposed to burgers and pizza for the first 15 years of your life, this will be the only thing you'll ever enjoy (or at least it will be very hard to break this preference).

Most Helpful Girl

• It's because our mind sees us 20 times more attractive than what we really are hence why mirror says yas but camera says no

• The mind can be a terrible thing. You sure it's not just a bad lens?

• Haha I'm sure because we look directly at ourselves in the mirror aka our own eyes. Then we take out the camera and it captures something amd it looks wrong 😂

What Guys Said 5

• This is so me that I can't even.
    I know that feel dudette.
    orig10.deviantart.net/.../...ober_raik-d4cxn5a.png

• Straight on I'd give myself a 7/10
    From the side (my face) I'd give myself a 4.5/10

• It happens to me. My face even looks disfigured in photos. This is because we're used to seing a mirrored image of our face in the mirror and when we de-mirror it we look completely different in our perception. Other people won't notice it, just like you won't notice the difference in other people

• Happens to me too, I think I look sexy in the mirror but rucking mongoloid in pictures! ahaha

• I think I look just as hot in photos as I do in the mirror. #TheLifeOfA10

What Girls Said 3