Why are marines racist?

I told my parents about this guy who likes me in my class. He said after high school, he wants to go in the marines. My mom said I can't date him because marines are racist against us black people but are even more racist against middle eastern people. I said that he was nice to me and he liked me and she said that is only because he doesn't want to be seen as racist. She said marines are the racist branches of the military. Why are they racist?

Most Helpful Guy

• Marine Corps can be very racist. I was 2nd LAR which was considered one of the most heinous units in the corps lol. Very sexist.. Very racist..

You have to imagine what kind of people who the Marine Corps attracts. Most students at 18 years old want to go to college and smoke a bunch of weed and have sex. While going into the Corps in itself sounds like an honorable thing to do you have to ask yourself why..

The corps can be a truly horrible place.. but it's not supposed to be a vacation. They like em young and blood crazed. They reward behavior that would be looked down upon in regular society.

All that being said I love the Corps and I love what it did for me. I think people just like to think everyone that joins are all heros and all that bullshit lol. It's far from. It's calmed down a lot since my dads and grandparents generation. Gangs inside the Marine Corps were a frequent thing in the vietnam era. Along with "friendly fire" if you were a dumbshit that could get good Marines killed in country.

• Are you crazy? My mom also said that they have to go to mental hospitals sometimes.

• Lol I think any Marines mindset would be considered 'crazy' to societies norm. Kill and Slaying bodies become a part of your daily vocabulary. Most people would find that offensive. I think I've adjusted pretty well back into civilian mode though.

• Ahh. Well, thank you for telling me and not being mean about it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Two of my brothers are USMC officers.

The point of the Corps is to turn out fighters who are hard as shit, who will DIE before abandoning their mission or their fellow men.

The point is to throw EVERYTHING at you, to try to break you. To break yr ass down. Defeat you. Destroy you.

Yr CO's, and yr unit, WILL figure out what buttons they can press, to get at you. And believe me, they will press them ALL. If race is a soft point, the Corps will hammer the shit out of that soft point until it's hard. Hard, and battle-ready, just like the rest of you.

The Corps is racist and sexist and ableist and ageist and classist and EVERYTHINGist. All the -ists, all at once. Because that's the fucking point.

If someone can't take racism, will he be able to take torture at the hands of the enemy? Will he be able to watch his men die, and still fight on? Will he be able to stare death, carnage, and tragedy right in the fucking eyes, and win the staring contest?

Think about it.

Be ready to take care of that boy, when he comes home. He's gna have one island, in a whole ocean of blood and death and tears, and that one island is gna be you.
    Be patient.
    Be loving.
    Be supportive.
    Be THERE.

Semper fi.

• Preach. I think you and I are the only ones posting the truth about the Corps.

• @tony72722 You and I might be the only ones who aren't just making shit up about the Corps.

Thank you for your service to our country.

• It sounds so violent. I didn't know it was so rough for marines. So how do you think some people stay sane and others have conditions like ptsd?

What Guys Said 17

• I would say there is a general tendency in all the branches of the US army to be racist. Probably the most important reason for this is that a vast majority of US soldiers come from a relatively low social background (working class or lower middle class). In these social environments, racism tends to be more prevalent for a number of reasons (lack of education, more criminality, more social segregation, maybe exposure to gang-related problems etc.). However, that does not mean that every soldier or every marine is a racist. That would be a stupid and needless overgeneralization. Just because racists tend to get very attracted by the military doesn't mean only racists go there. I'm sure there are also some very nice guys. And if it feels right for you then it probably is right.

• They can and they can't in general they are a bit more then the rest of the US military but then again they aren't paid to be nice, they are paid to kill there is a reason why are one of the greatest fighting forces we have and why they have the reputation they have, they are dogs of war only to be unchained in times of war.

• Are all the black marines racist too? ahha

• by asking "why are marines racist?" you imply that they are racists and insult a lot of people for no apparent reason. why don´t you ask: "what are reasons for a marine being racist?" this way you don´t insult everybody and don´t make claims that are not true.

• Oh please what complete and total bull shit. Your parents don't even know the guy. I dont care if he joins the Marines or a dance competition.

• And the black people that join the marines?

Your mom seems to not be entirely educated on the matter

• Your mother isn't racist but is like jobist idfk. Not all marines are racist, some of them might be but let's be real; some kids in your school are most likely racist too

• Because 7 8 9.

• This made my head hurt a little.

• they are not

• Stop complaining about people being racist to us... The reason its because your people are making us look bad by promoting stereotypes across north america by letting gangs get away with murder, theft and robbery.

• They are't like half the marines I've met aren't white

• They are not racist. Some are. Don't generalize.

• I hear everyone in the military is really racist

• He's probably not racist if he wants to fuck a black girl, am I right?

• I can't tell you if you are trolling or if you parents are stupid.

• No, what your mum is doing is decriminalization

What Girls Said 7

• I think its not all...

• not all of them. #generalisation482

• Sounds like your mom doesn't want you to date, period. Anyone can be racist. A group as a whole generally isn't.

• Marines' politically incorrect banter only offends those not in the service, but they are trained to kill and they are like brothers to each other. Most of them won't think twice about jumping on a grenade to save other Marines no matter what race they are. My dad and cousin are Marines.

• I think the marines recruit a disproportionate amount of minorities compared to white people so racism would be low.

• Sounds like she doesn't want you to date him but what he is doing is very noble and patriotic serving his country. Remember we sleep sound in our bed because rough men are willing to do violence on our behalf.

• If you find the right Marine you will have met the most down to earth, sweetest guy you have ever met.

• Sounds to me like your moms the one thats racist...