Are you a better conversationalist or a better listener?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a listener. I turn into a talker when I'm passionate about something- this turns into animated conversation, energetic smiling, sometimes hand gestures, laughing, and new ideas. But I really do love sitting down and listening to people talk about themselves or something funny that had to them. i have a wild imagination so I'm usually daydream or thinking so talking is only when I'm with people who I want to talk to. Don't get the wrong impression that I don't talk at all tho... I really do enjoy speaking with people. Interaction is important and I love to joke around or have serious conversation. But Like I said, I love stories and hearing life stories or personal memories is a very visual thing for me which is what I like best. (This might sound girly, but my absolute FAVORITE thing is when my boyfriend or future husband is holding me or we're laying around informally and he is telling me about his day or whatever he wants to ramble on about so I can imagine it in my head and play it out. Then I'll speak for a while if he wants) so majority listener but sometimes talker

Most Helpful Guy

• Probably listener. I had a two year streak of being great at conversing, but now in college I'm getting worse again.

• The streak will come back with time.

• I don't want it to be a streak though I want it to be normal. I think the reason I can't do it as easily anymore is because I knew most of the people at my high school since middle or elementary school.

• Yeah that is true and a good point. Elementary, middle and high school we knew everybody which makes it easier to talk. College is basically starting over with everything from making friends and talking to people etc. It's a different experience.

What Girls Said 9

• ooohhh I am so good at doing both BUT I GET FRUSTRATED BY PEOPLE WHO CAN ONLY HAVE ONE SIDE OF A CONVERSATION AT A TIME OMG OMG.

This why the internets is good.

Ya know how bird lungs work? Birds breathe in and out at the same time. This is how conversation works, in the house where I grew up. It's also how conversation works in our house now.

It's very very frustrating, because both hubby and I are incisive listeners who were born with extra helpings of the empathy gene... but we both (especially me) just kinda zone out when both parties can't talk over each other at the same time. Ya dig? My house is every introvert's worst fucking nightmare in the whole wide world.

Anyone else here like this?

• Lol I bet conversations in your house must be very fun and cool.

• There is a deep schism. There are people who love hanging out here, and there are people who JUST CANNOT DEAL. We have had people just shove off and leave mid-visit.

There's really been nobody in the middle of the road, there. LOL

My 12yo son and 7yo daughter are both the same way, too. My 4yo son, it's too early to tell.

• Lol sounds like it's fun. It's hard to please and make everybody happy.

• I am not a good listener ever! I sometimes hear the wrong things. I expect the worse i think.

• I don't think you can be a good conversationalist if you aren't a good listener.

• Definitely a better listener. My min is too scattered to be an efficient conversationalist. I'll be talking about something one second and the next I'm mentioning something totally unrelated and it throws people a lot.

• Lol people just have to keep up with you. I do that to sometimes jump from topic to topic. I tell people to follow and keep up. lol.

• @redeyemindtricks Yeah, actually. I just don't... connect well with people I guess, which I'm cool with. People adapt. They know when talking to me that they'll do most of the talking, but that I'll chime in when I've got something to say.

Which won't always relate to what they're talking about.

• WHAAAATT EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS RELATED TO EVERYTHING

No srsly though.

Fun party game:
      Go around a circle.
      Say things.
      Each person must say something that's completely unrelated to anything recently said by anyone else.

You will quickly find that this is MOST IMPOSSIBLE GAME EVER, and that you will not last a single round without memorizing random lists.

• I can do both with ease. I'm probably a better conversationalist. I try to do that in hopes to make the person more comfortable around me

• That is cool that you can do both. Yeah it's good to make people feel comfortable around you.

• Both. I'm pretty shy at first and usually just do listening but if they butter me up I become a chatter box.

• It depends on my moood and the person I'm with :)

• I actually suck at both.

• Conversationalist most of then time... but when Im tired id rather listen.

What Guys Said 15

• I'm a good listener in things I don't know about, but I'm a conversationalist when I'm talking about subjects that interest me.

I rather talk though so I guess I'm the latter. I talk a lot and form sentences much faster than other people when talking, so sometimes it makes it look like I know a lot about stuff where I'm just being creative about what I say (I tend to repeat myself sometimes too to get a point across). I also get passionate and sound convincing I guess (?) when I talk about something that interests me (that's why I'm positive I'll do fine whenever I have to present my thesis lol).

• A good listener when it's about personal problems but when it's about politics or religion I'll discuss it rather than just listen.

• I've always been a dude of few words.

• Probably listener - I don't talk much unless I have to.

• Listener but maybe both I don't know depends on what we talking about. Let em tell the story cause I be imagining it all playing in my head

• I'm naturally a better listener, but I can also be a good conversationalist depending on the subject.

• My conversational skills are pretty good, my listening skills are steadily improving.

• I am told to be a both of that.

• I'm a much better listener.

• L
    I
    S
    Talker
    E
    N
    E
    R

• I'd say I'm better at talking than listening. If someone is boring me I zone out.

• I'm a better chatter, but I do try to let people talk so that I'm not hogging the conversation.

• I'm good at pretending to listen. No one ever notices.

• Listener, I hear secrets from the universe.

• I'm a better listener.