Any Advice? I haven`t been able to figure out this fear. HELP?

I`ve pretty much loved to swim since I was two years old. Every opportunity I had I was in the water and never had an issue overcoming fears after any incidents that happened. Over the past few years I have become more and more high anxiety around water. (There were some accidents that occured roughhousing and having several near-drownings in that time frame and one very abusive relationship if that could be causing this, people wrestling and accidently holding me under for too long was also an issue that I downplayed) The thing is, Im okay by myself. I have some slight anxiety but it`s never crippling and I can continue to swim and everything by myself, but as soon as another person is brought into the picture it is immediately worse. My heart races, I feel like I can`t breathe, I get light headed, and even sometimes I will pass out if I push it or if they grab me or just jokingly push me under. More than that I freeze up with total panic and my thoughts are racing. I just started avoiding those situations (I know that makes it worse but I dont know what to do) I haven`t been able to snap myself out of the "panic/ freeze mode" when it happens and I feel like thats dangerous. Besides that its embarrassing. Any ideas about what could be causing this?
What can I do to fix it?
I haven't been able to find anyone with this same issue so I am completely stumped, I have no idea what to do to fix this. Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• Try talking to a counsellor :-)

• Seems like a good idea but I was kind of wondering if there was anything I could do by myself to fix it too, or if anyone has a semi-similar issue that they fixed. Thank you for the advice though!