Do you believe in intelligent life in space?

I do :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, microbes have been discovered in near planets so basically it's safe to say there is life out there.

However, with intelligent life forms I have my reservations. Can't say there are, can't say there aren't. It's like asking, do you believe in parallel universes/alternate dimensions? The hell do I know. The theories claim it's possible but I can't affirm it is.

Nature/the Universe acts illogically too. So, by saying that space is humongous to affirm there's life out there is quite a statement. The fact that we occupy a minuscule space in Earth with so much to be explored does not mean there is a more intelligent form than us out there. No one can'r say for sure and Nature tbh, is completely impartial to it.

Let me put things in perspective. About 70% of the Earth's surface is covered by water (oceans hold about 96.5 percent of all Earth's water) yet we, the human species (the rational beings) occupy only the small space that it is earth. This same principle can be applied to space. The space is vast, granted and proved that there are other sort of lifeforms out there. But it DOES NOT mean there are rational being out there.

Most Helpful Girl

• Even if it's out there, we probably wouldn't recognize it as such. Timescale would be too slow, or too fast (a message could take 0.001 millisecond to deliver... or 10,000 years). Communication would probably be in unrecognizable forms anyway.

And, most importantly, either they'd want to kill us or we'd want to kill them. And one side would have an absolutely fucking insurmountable advantage, too.

There's NO WAY this could possibly end well.

What Guys Said 26

• The closes galaxy to ours has billions of other suns with planets that orbit them that are of the same distance and physical make-up to be able to sustain organic life. That's just one galaxy. Then there are thousands of other galaxies in our local vicinity in the universe. So by those calculations alone, it only makes perfect sense. Unless we are put here for a purpose as an experiment or for observation.

• When you look at how massive the universe is... It is kind of arrogant to think earth is the only place with life. As far as truly intelligent life goes I am still looking for it here on the home planet.

• Do you ever wonder if more advanced life has discovered our planet but then observe us and are all like, "well damn those dumbasses are so fucked up" and just move right on by lol. We could have traded resources, but nope, we're too busy shooting each other lol

• Mathematically it's impossible for intelligent life not to be out there somewhere. So, when you think about it, it's only a matter of time until we find them.

Or they find us.

• Some believe they already have found us.

• I know! Some people are hella weird. But they always seem like they really need something to believe in so I try not to burst their bubbles with all my sciencey talk.

• Haha yeah :)

• Definitely. The galaxy alone is so big, there's got to be at least one other alien race out there. I hope they're friendly though!

• U can't say for sure since we haven't found any yet but there is a very high probability that there is. There is even a very high probability that there is another planet with humans just like us except 200 million years into our evolution. Imagine that

• Yep, the international space station currently has 6 people on it, I think.

• Of course there is. It's foolish to think otherwise when for starters, we have life on Earth. What would make us so special that only we can achieve what we have in this vast universe?

Intelligence is a survival skill which we acquired through evolution. I would imagine that evolution is a universal phenomena.

Life on Earth itself happened by chance, I've no doubt that at least one alien species have acquired the same skill through evolution.

• 0|1
  • Yes, I do. It's too big to not have anything else.

• Its a mathematical impossibility for there not to. But unfortunately, Fermi's paradox :/.

• Yes, the truth is out there.
    (X-Files reference)

• i would think there is somewhere, but of course that could be billions of light years away. hopefully they are not like the Klingons.

• I think it's quite plausible, yes.

• yes statistically speaking there are just too many plants out there for us to be the only planet with life on it

• Of course. There's actually an equation used to calculate the probability of life some where else

• until I see it I won't know for sure, on top of that studies on aliens actually lead to a different conclusion

• I do as well. Except if they will be all killed by exploding stars and cosmic radiation. Gagarin was first me known inteligent life in space.

• the likelihood that there is basically 100%. how intelligent it is, is a different question :)

• How can there not be. The universe is so endless... There has to be something

• As a physicist, it's impossible not to.

• If you think anything on earth is inteligent then you have difinitive evidence that there is.

• ı do not :)

• I believe in intelligent life, just not in this planet. kappa

• Not in space but maybe on earth like planets around one of those stars that can't be seen yet

• I mean considering it would take us something like 12 years to reach the nearest star with a potentially habitable planet, and 100+ years to reach the best candidates for habitability (at light speed which even half of which isn't attainable by modern technology), that isn't even taking into account whether the life is intelligent, dumb, or not there at all, I am not really concerned whether there is intelligent life out there, since getting there in my lifetime won't happen, and they probably won't come visit us unless your some crazy person who smokes too much dope.

• I know it takes time considering it took 9 years to get a clear picture of Pluto and that's even located "close" to us compared to the habitable plantet already found and those too far away we haven't reached them yet.

What Girls Said 8

• Of course. You'd have to be terribly ignorant and stupid to think that we're the only ones in the entire universe. I guess some people don't realize how huge the cosmos is.

• Exactly! This is one of my arguments when I'm having this discussion with my family. I'm the only one who believes it's possible, but probably because I'm interested in science whereas they are completely disinterested in science :)

• Of course, how can there not be at least one other intelligent life in a universe of billions of galaxies.

• There are billions of universes out there so quite possibly

• Yes I want marry an alien!

• yes I do believe in it

• I believe it's possible.

• No not really.

• I think its a possibility, yes.