How do you tell if someone is just shy or not interested?

You just meet someone, how do you tell if this person is just shy or not interested?

Shy people of gag, do you ever get confused for not being interested when you're just shy? Me being shy, I tend to avoid eye contact and pretend the other person doesn't exist

What Girls Said 1

• People tend to think I'm not interested in talking to them but in reality I'd really like to, it's just hard because I'm really shy. I avoid eye contact too and feel really awkward and self conscious all the time.
    I can see when someone is shy because I know it from myself but to "normal" people it's often misinterpretated.

What Guys Said 1

• It's hard to tell, because I know with me there are some girls I'm interested in and some I'm not. How they can tell if I'm interested or just being shy I have no idea. I'm hard to judge. So in essence you either just have to go for it and see what they say or just sit and wonder.