Is dark skin worse?

By worse I mean inferior, I mean, I'm not some white nationalist, mind you, I'm asking as a black teenager. Basically, is dark skin just inherently inferior? I mean, now that I think about it, virtually every human culture and society despises and looks down on dark skin. In their minds, all individuals with dark skin should be enslaved or just fucking eliminated, and there has to be some reason for it, right? The only ones that don't are some uncivilized tribes in deepest Africa, but, who really cares about them? In terms of history, Africans haven't really accomplished much of anything, being the first humans doesn't really count considering evolving isn't really an achievement. In fact, in history, the only notable African country was one that managed to fight Rome, a European country. Basically, my people have accomplished nothing and are hated by the entire world. Not to mention, here in America, many are uneducated and proud of it, to the point that I can't even relate to them anymore. I also know that light skin is considered beautiful the world over, hell, even I'm more likely to be attracted to a white girl than a black one. Basically, someone please give me something not to hate about my own people. I feel like I'm starting to have a genuine mental breakdown, self-hatred is making it even worse.

Most Helpful Girl

• Everyone forgets Africa is the motherland. All life came from Africa. It was ancient Africans who moved to different places during Pangaea and when it started to split they were stuck in those areas. That's why today everyone has at least some percentage of some type of African in them. SO THATS A HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT ON THEIR PART. So THANK YOU ANCIENT Africans. (Ps, Egypt is in Africa). AND DARK SKIN IS NOT BAD.

• Evolving isn't an accomplishment, if that were the case, every life form on earth deserves a medal. And, if lighter skinned people came later, wouldn't they be more evolved?

• No. What I'm saying is that if it weren't from them deciding to move about, a lot of us wouldn't be here rn.

Most Helpful Guy

• Mmmh... you're hitting upon a couple of different points here, so I will try to dissect this a bit and answer them step by step.
    First of all, the hatred towards African/black people has little to do with their ethnic features. It has to do with power. I'll give you an analogy. Some scientists (such as the ones working on the SETI-project (Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence)) have said that they can't wait to finally meet some aliens. Some other very smart minds such as Stephen Hawking however have spoken out publicly that this should never happen. Hawking in particular was very strong about it. He said that physically encountering an alien race could be catastrophic. History as shown time and again that unless two different civilizations are not exactly on the same level, the powerful one will exploit, enslave and sometimes kill the less powerful one. This was true in the ancient times, it was true for the Africans during imperialism and it was true for the native Americans. Like the native Americans, Africans have mostly lived very simply and close to nature until the Europeans started to enslave them in the 16th and 17th century. This means that technologically, they simply didn't have a chance to fight the white men coming for them. This was different for Asian countries (particularly China and Japan) who were technologically and militarily highly advanced, in some cases even more advanced than the Europeans. Africans just had a simple lifestyle and minded their own business and that became a problem for them. And once the Europeans started to colonize and enslave Africa (not just literally but also economically!), it became impossible for Africans to ever catch up again. That's why Africa has never made any big leaps forward, particularly in the past 150 years. If your land gets destroyed, your people enslaved, your resources robbed etc., how are you supposed to flourish as a continent or country? It's impossible! Even now, 50 years after most African countries received their freedom and independence from Europe, they are still struggling with their past. Some African countries went through unimaginably brutal civil wars and genocides that were a direct consequence of the Europeans fucking up this continent. And EVEN TODAY, Africa is still enslaved economically. The rich countries do all they can to make it impossible for Africa to rise to the top. One example would be the absolutely disgusting and disgraceful speculation of staple foods on the

• western stock markets. Along with protective taxes that western countries have for import goods from second and third world countries, this not only locks many African farmers out of the global market and makes it hard for them to survive economically but it also direct kills African lives. Every time idiots on the stock markets make the prices for grain or rice etc. go up, thousands of African families starve to death because they can't afford to feed themselves anymore. It's hard to flourish technologically or culturally under these circumstances. The fact that some countries such as Ghana still do, is particularly remarkable.
      Also, as a historian I would like to critically question the notion of "achievements". Why have rich countries achieved a lot in your opinion. Why is living in tact with nature not just as honorable? I think that's a question worth pondering upon.
      Finally, lack of education of African Americans has to do with institutionalized racism in the US.

What Girls Said 8

• "Basically, someone please give me something not to hate about my own people."

Hey, go look in the mirror?

That.

That thing.

There's something not to hate. About yr people.

Ya dig?

Now knock it the fuck off, with this shit. xx

• Dark skin is absolutely beautiful!!! There are plenty of light skin people that are horrible people, like Hitler for example. Don't let a few people categorize what everyone is. Plus the color of your skin has nothing to do with who you are! Keep your head up and be proud of who you are : )

• It is not inherently inferior. Hell no. Darkness protects your skin from UV damage and cancer! Remnants from history and who's in power right now makes dark less appreciated by many cultures, yes. Thankfully in multicultural societies, diverse appearances are starting to get love too. Hang in there. You only get one life, so you've gotta become comfortable with the skin you were given. You'll find soooo many people who will like you for you and love your black skin :)

• Can't speak for humanity as a whole but I'm more attracted to darker people vs lighter ones. I find pale skin and super dark skin unattractive, I like lighter to medium shades of brown I guess?

But it isn't a make or break thing

• Society wise, yes. As a lightskin woman, I can tell you compared to my darker skin friends, I have a bit of an upperhand/privilege. This was instilled into the minds of African Americans due to the white man telling us for years they were supperior. It's disgusting. Argue with me all you want, slavery and segregation very very much so has an affect on the black community today. Financially, health wise (food), how we view ourselves, and so much more.

• "The White Man"

You talk as if white people are a hive-mind entity who all sit around smoking cigars on top of piles of "The Black Man's" cash.

• @astrOnaut01 History wise the use of "white man" means white community, is that all you take out of my comment. lol

• It's all that I can be bothered replying to tbh. I agree with some of what you say anyway, so what's the point in replying to it?

And my statement still stands, just swap "The White Man" for "The White Community".

• I'm black, I guess that makes me ugly. :p

• Dark skin is beautiful and just as worthy as any other skin color. Remember, a whole bunch of rich old white men make a lot of money off of putting down dark skinned people in light of gassing light skinned people.

• Honestly, yes. I general it is. To society it is.

What Guys Said 8

• That's the institutionalized discrimination against us that's effecting you, you can clearly see it all around you. First I would like for you to take everything you were told about our history and devalue it. Ruling powers have always erased things from history, and tried to rewrite it. Nothing has changed. I'm not trying to sound all conspiracy theorists but it is obvious. It never struck you how weird it is how much we are dislike, that entire government organizations would try to opress us. You can look at the black Messiah program headed by the FBI. We have that because of the freedom of information act. But what makes you think they ar e being honest and are not still doing these things. Our people are uneducated, in poverty, and are oppressrmed. This is true for most of us. That was all set uo, purposefully so we couldn't succeeed. When people say how come they don't try to help themselves, they speak ignorantly not knowing our way of thought, and the way we live was planned out. Of course there is black on black crime, there is crime any where impoverished desperate people are, any country any race. But the violence against the minorities in America ascend that, because it is coming from the supposed peace-keepers. Then it comes out that they were trained to react that way in the academy. It's too convient how pushed down we are. Too convient how when we try to go back in our history all that most of us can imagine is a dusty village somewhere. Too convient how almost every other race held some form of bias against us. You feel upset because you can clearly see this, a lot of others can too. Can you imagine how great we would be if we didn't have the disadvantage we have, the false start, the government instituted discrimination. Even if they don't do it anymore, the effects don't just disappear in a day. If we had the same opportunities as everyone else how great could we be as a people, you already see all the thinga some of us can do when they get the opportunity, what if everyone had that though. It's not just us either, the Hispanics and the native American Indians share similar opposition in race. It's cool though they can't keep it up for much longer. Plus you shouldn't feel sad, you should be enraged with a fire. Not so you can do some dumb shit and get killed, but to motivate you to try to get through all the BS thrown. We bring style, originality, and creativity that can't be matched and you know it's better. You feel what they felt in 60s

• It's not exactly 'worse', but people have always been fascinated and even obsessed with lighter skin. As a brown skinned man, I can vouch for this. I have faced a ton of discrimination due to my skin colour.

• You have to keep in mind that Africans haven't had as much opportunity to thrive like other ethnicities because other ethnicities have, like you said, enslaved and oppressed them throughout history.

In western society these days, those of African descent mostly have the same opportunities as other ethnicities and you can see that they flourish just like any other ethnicity. Even in countries outside of the Western World (e. g. Niel DeGrasse Tyson, Dr. Philip Emeagwali, Dr. Cheikh Anta Diop, Ahmed Baba, Lloyd Quarterman and the list goes on)

You say Africans have never accomplished anything? What about Egypt?

Also you said virtually every culture throughout history has despised black people and there has to be a reason for it. Why does there have to be a reason? How would cultures from the past know that black people are inferior when there was no way for them to actually know that?

Maybe black people have been treated like shit throughout history because Africans are very different from other ethnicities. Combine this with the fact that past civilisations were extremely superstitious and religious. Of course anyone that is "too different" would be treated like they're scum.

Furthermore, there has been studies which prove that the only difference that race makes in a human is the skin tone and various physical features. - www.theguardian.com/.../racism-science-human-genomes-darwin - (I hate to use an article as a source, but I don't have to time to find a credible study at the moment.)

• "How would cultures from the past know that black people are inferior when there was no way for them to actually know that?" - What I mean is, they had no scientific basis for their superstitions.

• I don't know what to say, usually I respond because someone insulted me, but nobody has here

• I think that's because most of the opinion owners didn't read your description and assumed you were talking about attractiveness lol.

• Black people invented syncopated rhythms and the blues. And if there hadn't been the blues there wouldn't have been jazz, and later rock and roll.

• Nah dude. My roommate's African and he's studying the same diploma as me, a white guy. Has a higher GPA, too. Don't look in terms of achievements of your race as a whole, that's irrelevant, just focus on your own achievements.

• Sad but most of what you said is very true

At this point in time its hard to say if we are natrually attracted more to lighter skin OR if we have been directed to prefer lighter skin over time.

I think its defiantly more the second one. Because lets say if I was a different race landing on planet earth, id bet id see the dark women as exotic and the white ones as common since there are more of them... in turn id choose the dark feline to escort me through intergalactic travel.

• Fuck no! human is human, I love the fuck out of everyone. people just look for something to hate and major difference's in looks are par for the course.

• Dark Skin has it's natural benefits just as white skin.