Is this insecurity?

I don't like my name and want to legally shorten it to my nickname... would you consider me to be insecure because of this?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes I would. If people already call you by a nickname, then going to the lengths of changing it legally would make me think that it matters a great deal to you or even too much to you.

• Well I didn't choose my name, also in my country people do not go by nicknames very much like in other countries where almost everyone goes by their nickname

• It's not weird if you are doing it for yourself. If it makes you feel better about yourself and introducing yourself to others, then do it. Don't worry about what other people think so much. If this will help you to feel more at ease, then just do it.

• But does it mean I am insecure, and care about others' perception of me?

Most Helpful Guy

• That's not being insecure, you didn't choose it in the first place
    I actually did the same thing, not because I didn't like my name though.

• And are you happy with your decision? Do you think changing it was a good decision and did anything to change your life?

• It was vanity, pretty much. I changed it so that it became shorter
      which I find more appealing, than longer names.

But then again, in my case it was just a single letter that I had removed. ^.~

• I am shortening my name too because in my country people usually can't use nicknames much...

What Girls Said 4

• Not really ~ just do whatever floats your boat. I don't think most girls would think of it much at all.

• But would you perceive I care about others' perception too much?

• Hmm no ~ actually I wouldn't really think about it at all if I'm honest. 😅

• Okay then I don't understand why I get dumped when I tell women very personal things about me

• No. I know someone who did that.

• But does this mean that the person cares too much about others perception and hence is insecure?

• No. You would be doing it for u. Right?

• Yes I am doing it for myself... and where I am from people don't go by there nicknames very much

• No, it's normal. :)

• But would you think he is doing it to change the perception of others and hence is insecure?

• Yes that is my point too, I am not the one who choose it, and I'm not somebody's slave... and in my country people don't use nicknames like in other countries where almost everyone has short version of their name, so yeah that makes things even more difficult for me

• You should be fine, as long as you have the ways and means to legally change your name.

• No, you simply don't like your name. It's not your cup of tea. Doesn't mean you're insecure.

What Guys Said 1

• My name is Tyler and people call me ty so that'd be pretty weird but nah lol