Who would you safe?

Saw a moral dilemma post yesterday, so I thought this would be a good one.

You are a doctor at a top hospital. You have six gravely ill patients, five of whom are in urgent need of organ transplants. You can’t help them, though, because there are no available organs that can be used to save their lives. The sixth patient, however, will die without a particular medicine. If s/he dies, you will be able to save the other five patients by using the organs of patient 6, who is an organ donor. What do you do?

• Keep patient 6 comfortable, but do not give him the medical care that could save his life in order to save the other five patients.
  • Save patient 6 and let the other five die; it’s unfortunate, but that’s not your call to make.

Most Helpful Guy

• The meds are avalable to save patient 6 . My ethics as a Dr dictate she will live.

Most Helpful Girl

• Purposely choosing to allow patient six to die for the sake of others is the equivalent of murder. One person's life doesn't suddenly become meaningless because of the needs of others. As a doctor it is your duty to help any and all patients within your abilities and if you have the ability to save patient six you must.

What Guys Said 3

• You really can't just not help a patient because the needs of the many etc, you have a duty to help everyone you can't go all vigilante because you think it's right. If i could survive and a "doctor" let me die (when i don't want to) I'd be pissed it's not their decision to make.

They may not all be compatible with patient 6 making their sacrifice potentially worthless and killing more people in the process anyway. Besides, even if they were all compatible and (by some miracle) all had different organ damage that their healthy equivalent could be harvested from one body, I just legitimately murdered someone without their consent to sacrifice themselves for the other people. I don't get to decide who lives and who dies, there's protocol for a reason.

• Sometimes they do just let organ donors die like that. Happens already.

• What are you talking about citation needed. I couldn't find anything saying that this was a common thing. Hospitals work just as hard on everyone and i found that your claim was considered a myth of organ donation by most websites i checked.

What Girls Said 1

• Seriously disturbed by how many GaGers chose option one... I've seen weird things on this site but this is the sickest yet, and this is coming from a girl with a pretty strong stomach.