How do you become smarter?

Most Helpful Guy

• Without more information with regards to what being smarter means to you in this context, and why you want to be smarter... it would seem difficult to offer detailed advice. However on a general level, I would offer the following:

I don't know if you've heard the story of Socrates and the Oracle at Delphi (and pardon me if you've have), but long ago, supposedly the Oracle at Delphi let it be known that Socrates was the wisest man in all Athens. Socrates didn't believe this and set out to disprove it. He supposedly questioned others who might be considered wise, but each seemingly laid claim to knowing things which they did not. Socrates came to the conclusion that he was indeed the wisest man in Athens, because it seemed that he alone was willing to acknowledge his own ignorance.

Being smart arguably isn't just about knowing facts or figures, but about being able to understand the world and to learn. But you can't fill a cup that's already full, and believing something that is wrong can put your further from the truth than believing nothing.

To that end, I would suggest that if one wishes to be smart, one should understand the limits of one's own knowledge, and possess a willingness to question one's own beliefs and assumptions. Understanding the difference between fact and opinion, between certainty and likelihood, between possibility and probability.

Generally speaking, you should avoid absolutist language in most cases (always, never, everyone). You should recognize that personal experience does not in many cases substitute for scientific evidence. Attempt to cleave to precision, probability and statistics.

Question your beliefs, your assumptions and the evidence on which those assumptions are based. Question other's beliefs and assumptions. Be willing to acknowledge you could be wrong, and try to proportion the strength of your belief with respect to the strength of the evidence on which that belief is based. And don't be afraid to search for answers for anything on which you are unsure.

Beyond that, learning a great deal will likely help you become smarter. Some sources / methods are likely better than others for acquiring information, but there are many books, articles and videos that might help. Without knowing more it's hard to offer relevant suggestions.

Finally, memory is important. It can take some work, but there are ways to improve memory, see something like dominque o'briens how to develop a perfect memory.

almost out of space~

Most Helpful Girl

• By learning as much as you can? depends on what you define as being "smarter" too though of course.
    In my opinion, knowing lots of random facts about thousands of strange/interesting/random topics can make you smarter because sometimes you'll know something that even the brainiest people don't know. read articles and documentaries about things that interest you and things that have always made you think "hmm i wonder how that works" or "where's that place". you don't have to be a rocket scientist to be smart. You just have to not wanna be the dumbest person that has nothing to ever contribute to a conversation. you wanna see dumb... then you should see one of the girls I work with, no information goes into her brain at all... it's actually amazing how dumb she really is more than frustrating.

What Guys Said 13

• By reading and eating chocolate. Getting off G@G is also a good idea since some of the questions asked here probably destroy our brain cells when we try to comprehend the stupidity.

• You have to have a natural curiosity and ask questions and seek answers. The more knowledge you let in, the more knowledge you'll retain to let out.

• you got to listen to science bitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxQq1wB7A28

• For book smarts, read about subjects that interest you.

For life experience, get out there and do stuff.

• Definition= ability to learn.

I think a lot is genetics and descipline. But it's also you're own critical thinking and open mindedness to compare and reference new information.

If you want to increase your iq, read do math. Problem solve and expose yourself to new info constantly.

Smart means not repeating the same mistakes and ability to change and constantly adapt.

Gain understanding and insight and adapt to constsntly changing environments.

• 1|0
  • Be excited to get to know about new stuff, and use the past stuff too :D

• Reading answers everything

• Question yourself.

• I mostly watch YouTube vids if I really wanna know something.

• You have to observe. Observe immediately.

• Encyclopedia my friend

• Well, no idea where you're starting out but given your age you probably like Harry Potter so, hey. You can give reading this a shot: www.hpmor.com

Its basically a hilariously and well written fiction of Harry Potter with scientists as his parents. Explaining the whole wizard world according to existing theories. As well as teaching rational thought patterns to the reader.
    Outside of that it is written by a very intelligent member of the center for rational learning (flashy, eye? We like flashy titles).

Oh and, it is hilariously good. Really. Give it a shot.
    Intelligence is, contrary to popular belief, a learned trait, not something we're born with. We might be born with different capacity although that has still to be proven in the slightest.

What Girls Said 9

• My old friend would say by reading books!

• Choose something you’d like to learn to do (play the accordion, for example) or a subject you don’t do well in (maybe math) and focus on that thing.

Initially, you may be uncomfortable and feel even less intelligent than you did before, but if you study or practice diligently, you’ll become more confident, and you’ll make new connections in your mind.

• There isn't a long answer needed for this. It's simple... exposure. My parents exposed me to so much when I was younger, I travelled since being 1 years old, I always questioned people's beliefs and i never stand for a half-ass answer from anyone, even if it means I have to go do my own research on the simplest every-day dilemma

• Study hard. Read books. Learn to play an instrument.

• Reading anb learning by experience - meaning you're practicing the thing you've learnt. Practice is the best way to learn

• Reading definitely

• By learning and reading books

• By learning and experiencing new things and learning from mistakes

• Questions yourself.