Do you feel that no matter how hard a white person tries, they can never truly understand what it is like to be a black person?

Even if they fully studied black history, culture, lived in a predominantly black neighborhood, maybe even raised in a black household, studied psychological and sociological ramifications of beinga black person, they still w=could never fully understand being a black person is like in the world as a white person?

Most Helpful Girl

• I can empathize all day with someone who was raped, but I'll never know what it was like. I can empathize all day with someone who was beaten, I will never know what it was like. I can empathize with the people all day long, but that doesn't mean I know what it's like to be in their shoes.

That being said, black people and white people and every other group in between have so much in common that they can both feel. Ex) the struggles of being a minority-all minorities could feel that. the struggles of being poor-all poor people could feel that. The struggles of being blind-all blind people could feel that.
    But there are limits like I said, I will never know what it's like to be Asian in the US. Just like someone who isn't like me, would never know 100% what it's like to be like me.

I think a lot of times people try to use empathy to say "I understand your struggle 100% and I feel you because I'm feeling what you felt in my mind." To me, that's off, it doesn't quite sit right. If I said that to a rape survivor I would be in the wrong.

Empathy is powerful, and my goal isn't to force people to see that I get what they feel, it's simply to resonate with it and work together. I don't want to proclaim "I know what it's like to be Asian because I'm such an awesome deep empathizing person", rather, I just want to work together and have people realize "I see your struggle, I'm trying to put myself in your shoes, let's work together"

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel like a poor black man could relate more to a poor white man than he would with a middle class blackman.

• ^^^ Truth. Class is the greatest divider of us, not race.

• I know, I worked with a number of millionaires and even one or two billionaires.
      Religion too can be a great divider: once a Muslim or Christian knows you're not Muslim or Christian... even worse if he's and rich and religious.

What Girls Said 4

• A better question would be "Do you feel that no matter how hard a black person tries, they can never truly understand what it is like to be a an African person?" A lot of people have it tougher than those that live in the land of opportunity and enjoy its infinite abundance.

• not every black person has it hard. for fuck sakes!

• But every race has had racism issues, so i think everyone could understand that.

• You take Poor white trash out of a shithole in Methville, USA and I think they'd have more in common with poor blacks than many people think.

What Guys Said 11

• It's called empathy, and it's quiet powerful.
    Some people have empathy in such high doses they really can understand what other people go through.

The difference is that at the end of the day they can remove themselves from the hardships, and you can't.

But even that can be empathized with.

Even so, is the uniqueness of your experience something healthy?
    If your viewpoint alienates you from others, it doesn't matter how unique and difficult your struggles are. You'll never grow to overcome them.

• Why does it matter? Why is it always about Black people? Isn't that discrimination in favor of one minority over others?

• i try to avoid race question like this but i feel yours was well written and asked a valid question. first yes i'll start out with yes i'm white.
    no i dont feel a person of one race can truly understand what its like to be another one.. there are so many stereo types of different races. an example of this as a white guy i have to watch what i say when i'm around a person of color because with some saying things that have nothing to do with race can be construed as such then your labled a raciest or a bigget. yes i feel we will never beable to totally understand what its like to be black and i also dont feel black people will know what it is like to be white. my grandfather told me something that i have always tried to live by dont judge some on how they look judge them on there actions. a little bit about grandpa he was carrier army infantry served in ww2, korea and vietnam. he went on to tell me he had seen all types of people, and there is trash in every race. so dont judge them buy that judge them on there actions.

• yes, in a white majority country, white guys won't fully get it. But they may start to get it in a place like south africa

• I kinda half-agree. My roommate's black and we were talking about this the other day. I think we came to the conclusion that whites could never understand how it feels to be black, but we can understand the challenges it faces.

Then we smoked a blunt.

• That is correct sir.

• I think a white person that grows up in those areas already has it worse to be honest. Not only are they going to have the same problems as those around them, they are going to be seen as the "other" by a lot of people growing up. They are going to get bullied more and what not.

By the way, being a black person in a western country is a cake walk compared to most others in the world of various races and ethnicities when you look at money earned and actual oppression. I don't know if it would amuse me or disgust me to come across a person that thinks otherwise.

Do people realize that the vast majority of Americans regardless of race, gender, faith, age are in the top 10% monetarily? The median income would put them in the 1%. The same for many other western nations. That's why people want to be here.
    So, you know, check your privilege, bro.

• I think no matter how hard a person tries they can never truly understand what it is like to be anyone other than themselves.

What has race got to do with it?

• Nope I don't know what its like and I don't care to

• Ofc not? If they grew up in the USA, they don't realize they're living in a country that's built for their people to succeed in every way, they take it for granted. They've never felt what it's like when you make eye contact and you're being judged for your skin color/race right away.

However, I don't agree how you make it seem like it's only a "black problem". You realize all minorities share prejudices and racism. I'm Asian and my girlfriend constantly gets shocked responses when people realize the boyfriend "is asian". Some jealous white guys even ask her "why are you dating an Asian guy"? as if we're lesser.

White americans have been oppressing minorities since the beginning, there's no way they (the modern day oppressors) could understand what it feels like to be the ones being oppressed.

• Acting like black people have the monopoly on hardship hasn't done any good thus far... maybe another century?