Do you consider yourself part of a subculture or have you ever belonged to a subculture in the past? If not, would you like to belong to one?

Back when I was a teenager, it was always comparably hard for me to find new friends. Apart from a few other reasons, one reason for this was that contrary to most people I knew, I didn't belong to a subculture. Social subcultures are very popular and important among teens and young adults in my country. I remember people telling me that I'm a little weird because I was this "outsider". Some people even asked me "How can you NOT belong to a subculture?" I kept telling people that I'm not so interested in that but clearly, other teens thought it was unimaginable to not belong to one. So, have you ever belonged to a subculture or do you belong to one now? Are subcultures important/widespread in your country?
Here are a few examples I could think of. Or do you belong to one I forgot?

Emos

Goths

Punks

Metal heads

Skinheads ("Skins")

Goa

Hipster

Otakus

Ravers

Hiphoppers

• Yes, I am/was an Emo!
  • Yes, I am/was a gothic kid!
  • Yes, I am/was a punk!
  • Yes, I am/was a metal head!
  • Yes, I am/was a skinhead!
  • Yes, I am/was a Goa, hipster, otaku, raver, hiphopper or something else! (please specify, not enough poll options)
  • I have never belonged to a subculture

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm still part of the punk/rock/metal heads 😂😂 it's honestly awesome because like if we see each other on the street and we're complete strangers
    We'd nod or smile when we pass each other
    Like yeah I see you
    One of my people 😂

What Girls Said 9

• I'm kind of a bit of everything. I love fun colours and patterns, and am into the vintage looks. But I also love to have a bit of a rock look sometimes, other times I want to be girly. When I was a teen, I desperately wanted to be a scene kid. I didn't have a lot of money so I couldn't truly express myself. Plus being a bigger girl, it was hard to find stuff in my size that was affordable.

Now I pretty much just wear what I want. I mainly dress for comfort, but I still love to be in style. I wear a lot of different things.

I find subcultures to be interesting, and I will take pieces from different subcultures and mix it into my look.

• I guess I'm a bit of a raver :P

• They're are a lor of subcultures and in middle school I was very much an outcast and didn't have friends or belong in a group like this. About 10th grade was when I started to fit myself in with groups vs. Being alone.
    Subculture wise I'm more of a fangirl/nerd.
    Although I'm diverse I have two different groups of friends I hang out with being nerds & Hispanic/popular group.
    Sooo different but I am really good friends with people in both. I fit in with the "nerd" group more than popular but I think its good to know I've got people to count on regardless of the group and what others think.

• If someone said that to me i would probably tell them to shut up because that is a really inconsiderate thing to say.
    Im probably a nerd or i belong to the "city kid" subculture as im very street smart and live in an urban city. I've been caller a hipster.
    I dont know how to be anything other than myself howevet

• I'm a subculture of one. #freelancelife

• What's the characteristics of your "subculture of one"? ;-)

• That's interesting :-). Seems like you've figured out a handy life hack!

• So many of them.

• I was a little bit of everything.

• Truth is there's No country for the irréversible damaged.

• does extreme love and obsession for viewing and/or playing one sport + talking about it with anyone who will listen a subculture? because I think it should be really.

• No, I never have been. I'm a bit of a loner but I float around from group to group sometimes in school. Now I just do my own thing.

What Guys Said 11

• I like things like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Transformers, I play video games and I even play Dungeons and Dragons, but I don't consider myself a nerd.

I like cars (my favorite is the Mustang) and enjoy attending car shows, but I wouldn't consider myself a gearhead either.

I listen to all kinds of music, including punk and ska, but I don't align with punk so strongly that I want to cover myself in safety pins and spikes. I like the passion, the energy of the music but don't feel the need to maintain such an "anti" appearance. I don't think it's a worthwhile pursuit of my time to live my life for the purpose of provoking reactions from people. Wearing band shirts is good enough for me. To me the music is what counts, and the image is optional.

I like some things about the hippie/psychedelic subculture like the artwork and psychedelic rock, but I disagree with it on some things like how hippies don't care about money. Being broke isn't okay to me.

Subcultures can give you direction and focus in some ways, but it can also paint you into a limiting box. I like to pick and choose the things I like and that's what makes me who I am.

• I liked metal and some friends of mine liked metal, but I never really indulged in the culture.

I wasn't really part of any subcultures. It just seems odd that this randomly arbitrarily decided upon fashion trend suddenly tells you "who you are and what you are", I feel odd identifying with any of it. Even when I used to claim I'm a "feminist", I was just labelling myself for no real good reason. Honestly, I don't need labels. But it probably helps having more in common with other people.

• I didn't officially belong to any subculture, but I like electronic music, so I suppose, I'm almost like a raver :D

• I was a Dead Head for many, many years.

• I was kind of a punk back in the early 2000s when I was a young kid preteen. Otherwise I never really belonged to a subculture. I suppose today I fit in the few really traditional Prager-U type Young Republicans on campus, but even then not fully.

• I'm a geek. I have been for many many years.

• I was a metalhead/stoner, but never hung around any of the other posers who claimed to listen to metal, and then started talking about Slipknot or Godsmack.

• Most of those people are disgusting

• Why do you think so?

• My reason isn't anything you'd get. It's just a matter of personal opinion. They look revolting to me.

• How do you know I wouldn't get it? You haven't even attempted to explain it to me. I have this strong feeling that you find them disgusting simply because they don't dress average.

• Dirty Kid

• i guess im technically an otaku in my country there is no importance of belonging to a subculture and many if you think about can belong to multiple. i however am only considering myself an otaku due to me only watching anime and listening to Japanese music instead of any other language

• Intellectuals, I was deep into all that Western Civilization shit, history, philosophy, music, art, science. At my school it was really just me.

• Yeah, I was kinda like that too. I guess you could also call it a subculture. I always thought about myself as a bit of nerd... except the socially awkward part.

• I learned very early to keep that side of myself to myself, at least in school. When I was a freshman they put me directly into the advanced English lit class, just me, about thirty Seniors and two Juniors. The teacher gave us a list of classic works so we could choose one to do the first quarter book report on. No money could have induced me to admit I'd already read them all.