Would you go vegan or at the very least eat half as much meat, eggs, and dairy products as you do now to end world hunger?

currently MORE than enough legumes (high in protein, b vitamins, and minerals, among other nutrients), grains, and some other plants are grown every year to feed everyone year round. in fact most of it is grown in countries that have the highest starvation rates. however, its turned into feed for animals that are meant to be slaughtered and fed to people in countries that have a high rate of obesity as well as countries that are simply wealthier, where next to no one starves. in addition to that, around 20% of that food is wasted by grocery stores, then another 20% is wasted at home (in america). so, at least 40% of the food in the US is wasted every year.

if you knew that your refusal to eat any meat, or you simply eating less meat, would encourage those same companies growing food for livestock would make them instead sell it (at affordable prices) to those currently starving, would you?

• I'd go vegan
  • I'd eat half as much meat
  • I'd eat meat only for special occasions
  • let them starve. I want my meat
that doesn't mean more animals would be killed, it means less because a lot less would be bred.

also, I forgot to mention livestock gets most of the clean water as well. so, people in countries with clean water issues would also have more to drink.

Most Helpful Guy

• Currently a lot more of a LOT of foods are grown to feed the world population.
    It's just that none of it is in the right place and we waste a lot of it.
    If I knew that going vegan would end world hunger, I'd do it, but it won't, because the problem isn't that we don't have enough food.

• that's the point I'm making. we have more than enough food. but most of it is feed go livestock. the world isn't meant to have so many pigs, vows, and chickens.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd go vegan. I find it crazy how people would rather give their taste buds more priority than the environment, animals, starving people, and their own health. Pretty selfish, not gonna lie.

• The other curious one is when people say 'I'm an animal lover', but still eat unconsciously. 'Not when it gets in the way of having your quick meaty fix', I guess.

• lol yess, or when people preach how important it is to protect mother earth and then go eat a burger -.-

What Guys Said 6

• Voted C.

As it is, I only eat meat for like five or six meals a *month*.

• oh, that's interesting. any particular reason? to be healthier?

• wow! I am impressed. so few people care where their food comes from and how its, grown/bred, how the workers are treated, etc. it truly is sad factory farming took over.

• Yup, for most people it's out of sight, out of mind. :/

• No, one person's need doesn't constitute someone else's obligation.

Besides, the only real, long-term solution to poverty is capitalism. When the poor countries of the world start respecting people's rights, then there will be prosperity. By advocating freedom, I am giving them the only genuine help that one can give them.

• capitalism isn't a bad thing. that's not the issue.

• no, but I don't think capitalism in itself is the cause. yes, people are greedy, but capitalism helps encourage competition, which encourages progress. that's not a bad thing.

• Yes, the lack of capitalism is the cause of poverty, itself caused by the lack of rationality.

• Im planning to to go vegan. There are many benefits to a plant based diet, the only problem for me is going to be getting adjusted to the changes

• its pretty easy actually. you just have to know how to substitute things. if you have any questions, feel free to pm me. (:

• yeah i do actually

• D, gimme my steak. Even when we deliver them food those third world countries are still a train wreck. My suffering without a triple bacon cheese burger will not come anywhere near resolving their issues.

• how are they a trainwreck?

• the foreign countries caused all of that to begin with though.

• No, Europe's colonial practices and then dropping them like a bad habit when colonialism was no longer cool did exacerbate and enflame the issues, but it is not the root cause. Besides that, the colonial powers have been gone for decades, sometimes a century or more. Other places were never even colonies. They just need to get their sh! t together. Own the fact that they are ate up like a soup sandwich and fix their own issues. Free always wins out in the end though, even with people who start with good intentions.

• Vote D. Sue me.

• well, I appreciate your honesty at least. I think most people feel the way you do. sadly.

• I don't see it as my responsibility. I was not consulted before these people in starving countries decided to have more kids and so I don't see how I should feel like I have to do anything about it. It would be like expecting me to pay off a total stranger's gambling debts.

What Girls Said 12

• I think a lot of people missed the hypothetical aspect to the question. If I was certain that it would end world hunger then I would certainly consider it. I already don't eat pork. And I eat red meat maybe twice a month. Not a huge turkey fan either. But, that fried chicken tho! Lol but seriously, if it was a sure shot way to end world hunger, I would. I love fruit and enjoy green smoothies.

• let them starve. I want my meat! You can't save world hunger but making everyone vegan! You can't! Its impossible... people who have low resource just can't get food grown in there area! its a complicated subject really! U can't just send ton of food! Its not that easy!

• you didn't read the description. the places where the most people are starving grow and export the most food.

• I eat meat only for special occasions. Well not really but I rarely eat meat, twice a month i guess. This is bc my dad aren't allowed to eat meat and my cook never cooks it bc of that.

• Seeing as I already eat heaps of fruit and veggies, I wouldn't have a problem with cutting out meat.. red meats and chicken- I really only eat fish.

• I'm currently vegetarian and would go vegan for the purpose of this scenario.

• Im already vegan 🌱

• I'm already pescotarian so I only eat the friends in the rivers and sea 😂😂 as for going vegan I don't know how ilk survive without eggs

• read up more on the fish industry. it's apart of the overall issue as well.

• but yea, a yway even only having fish occasionally helps a lot too! (:

• I do eat healthy but I still need my protein and such. And ny eggs like I can't get rid of that xD or milk haha evem though I love soy milk

• I love meat. Can't go vegan

Just found out, grains , legumes, nuts , if eaten with other food doesn't help mineral absorption due to high in phytic acid

So the whole sprouting grains/beans make me lazy but I still eat it sometimes since they have benefits too.

But I won't ever go vegan but will add more veggies and fruits to my diet to be healthy

• I love sprouting!

all foods, including meat, have antinutrients. that doesn't mean none of the minerals are absorbed. it depends more on your own gut and digestive system, enzymes, etc.

• I don't think doing that would change the prices. But 40% of food being thrown out if amazingly horrible.

• Nope, it wouldn't solve world hunger.

• They wouldn't sell it to starving people. They'd sell it to us.

• I'm already vegan and eat a strict diet of select few things. Not by choice, but it is what it is. If I could do something to help out with world hunger, I would.

• why only a few things?

• Genetic disorder with multiple organs. Being a low fat vegan is the only thing that doesn't make me too sick.

• oh, that sucks, but its a good thing you figure out how to manage it. (: