What happens if taxi run out of business because of uber?

What happens if taxi run out of business because of uber?

Updates:
I mean I have to have Internet and credit or debit card. What if I don't want to use card or I only have cash and have no internet service?

0|0
3|12

Most Helpful Guy

• The uber will have monopolized the market and their rates will go up! Smart business plan.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• They will stop the government from making a rip off from the taxi drivers, themselves and customers who pay an over priced ride. No body wins from the gov.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 11

• It's already starting to happen, and it's less about the cost savings (that's going to mostly go away as Uber becomes more regulated, which WILL happen over time) and more about the fact that old, established industries tend to resist new ideas, especially those that favor the customer over the industry, making them ripe for "disruption."

Uber used technology and a "clean sheet of paper" approach to solving many of the problems that customers have had with taxi companies - problems that those companies were in no hurry to solve, but are now, far too slowly, trying to solve.

Taxis will survive for about one more generation, as there are people who don't want to use a smartphone to get a ride, or use anything but cash to pay for it, but eventually those people will die off and the next generation will have ONLY done things the Uber way, and traditional taxis will go away.

For those who don't know, taxi's have long been a "racket", especially in bigger cities, as there is lots of corruption and politics around who gets the taxi licenses/medallions, which are often hugely expensive. That alone will make taxis uncompetitive, but the ease of the whole Uber process, and the transparency of where the car is and how long you have to wait, etc. will soon let Uber crush the obsolete taxi industry - at least if they aren't legally prevented from doing so.

0|0
    0|0
  • You're reading all this hoopla in the news in Toronto, aren't you? All the taxi drivers wringing their hands that their legal monopoly has been undermined by someone providing better service at a better price.

Finally, taxis in this city have an incentive to change in the interests of their customers and they are resisting.

There's a whole other issue regarding the extortionate price of medallions which the government should have done more to regulate (since they issue them) but the fact remains that the taxis have done themselves no favours.

0|1
    0|0
  • They'll be like Blockbuster's or Hollywood Videos; they just disappear.

0|2
    0|0
  • If they want to be stubborn assholes, then they deserve to go under and most people aren't going to be crying over it.

Taxi service companies have the resources to create apps and improve their brand image and customer experience. They simply don't, out of a lack of talent or sheer stubbornness.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think it will happen. I don't believe there is enough uber drivers to fill the demand of people needing to get places. Some people also would not feel comfrotable using uber either.

0|0
    0|0
  • some cities have already outlawed taxis because of cost in certain areas. Uber will just take over. Its kinda like how smartphones replaced flip phones. Businesses are basically survival of the fittest.

0|0
    0|0
    • ugh! I fucking miss flip phones.

although, a flip phone could be a smart phone too.

• So what? It's capitalism and Uber is winning. In most cities in America, the traditional cab industry is quite corrupt and serves its customers much worse than Uber. They need to improve to compete. In just a few years, the normal thing will be to summon a self-driving car provided by Lyft or Uber or some other company. So, we are facing a big disruption in any case.

0|0
    0|0
  • it won´t, because there will only be times and trips that you don´t find an uber for. but i guess a lot of people would have to look for a new job.

0|0
    0|0
  • Then Asians take over another market sector! hahahaha

0|0
    0|1
    • There goes white supremacy? Smoke some weed or coke?

• I think the idea of white supremacy vanished like a fart in the wind. Wtf have drugs got to do with it? LMAO

• Then people will taxi via uber

0|0
    0|0
  • The world is heading towards cashless. Fast in some areas, slow in others.

0|0
    1|0

What Girls Said 2

• I think this will happen, but there will always be people who need a ride somewhere so Uber or another company will provide that service.

0|0
    0|0
  • not likely.

0|0
    0|0