My ex is sending me to court can I win custody?

I live in my home town New York, I have a gorgeous little girl she is 3 and I've responsible for her , her whole life since birth 03/15/2012 . When I tould my ex back in July 2011 that I was pregnant he trun his back on me and my daughter and tould me that he doesn't want nothing to do with her or me. He lives in forthworth Texas and now I have live in New York for 2 years now. Last year he found me on facebook and message me that he wants to meet his daughter and wants visits on weekends I tould him that is not possible that we live in new york infact my child doesn't know who the hell he is and she has my last name on her birth certificate , Now his got a lawyer and he wants to have full custody he has never been responsible for our daughter this whole 3 years, I don't want him in our lives honestly we are better off without him. I made it threw being pregnant I have a college degree and I make enough tp suport my daughter and give her a good life. WHAT SHOULD I DO? I really worride his parents hired a lawyer and he plans taking her away from me and sending me to court.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well you have a strong case

He's turned his back and the fact he's never met his daughter is his fault.
    The fact that you're the child's biological mother and the fact you've had full custody and responsibility for her means most court's would rule in your favor

If you also apply for full custody you are likely to get it especially if you have an adequate income and a stable environment that is clean and the child is cared for.
    If drugs are completely clear of your home that also helps.

The court won't just give her to her father because she doesn't know who he is
    And they usually rule in the mothers favor

I hope this helps

• Thank you so much yes I have my own home I make an estimate off $50,000 a year I have my own career take my child to her lessons , food , clothing , daycare, visits to doctor , dentist she is my world and I love her to death.

• Yeah in that case there is no way on earth that he will get even part custody of her

He might get visitation rights but that's it

What Guys Said 6

• tough situation. the courts will probably give him visitation. i dont see why she can't spend the summers with him. my friend does that with his daughter she just comes and spends the summer with him. he lives in cali she lives in virgina.

• Ask Reddit or Quora the same question. No one with any worthy experience here.

• I think you have a pretty solid chance of winning custody

• Oooo I know a lawyer on the site 🙂

• Fathers very rarely ever win custody of their children. True fact. You would have to be a homeless, drug addicted, alcoholic chain smoker and the courts would still award you custody.

Fact of life sadly.

• Unless you're shooting heroin at your leisurely time him getting full custody is nigh on impossible.

Honestly I think he's a complete ass for doing this to you, and you're a complete ass for not letting a father see his daughter. What's your game plan? Deny him that right all his life?

My view on this is that he's trying to leverage this to the point where you ease up and let them meet etc. But hey, I am not legal counsel.

What Girls Said 4

• Honestly... the chances of him having full custody are slim to none.

You are not the first person who has been in this situation.

In the courts eyes they will see these facts:

- You informed him and he turned his back showing that he did not posses the maturity for a child. It will question if he has it now.
    - You have raised the baby yourself, and you have not had any difficulties with child services, nobody has reported you, and your baby has not been harmed.
    - When approached by him asking to see her, your response wasn't no you cannot see her, it was no we live too far away. A true statement, but to be seen in a good light is to try and be compromising in the future. Do not ring him up and organise a visit now because he has hired lawyers and it's time you do the same. I'm sure a no win no fee solicitor will take your case.

The likelyhood is he will be given visitation rights or rights to her on a weekend, but she will for the most part be in your capable hands. Unless you have any evidence to support why she wouldn't be safe, there isn't much you can do sadly :/

• He has the right to see his child despite what he has done.
    Though, it's really unlikely that he will get custody. Women are often the one to get the custody to begin with. Add the fact that he gave up on his parental duty to let you raise your daughter alone and chances are really low that he will get full custody.

Though, he will probably get right to see her. I get why you're upset but he's still her dad and even if his wake up call is late, he still has the right to see her.
    And when you say "my child doesn't know who the hell he is", it's you speaking, not your child.

• well it's his fault I didn't ask him to not be included in the picture.

• It is his fault and you will probably win the case but it's never a solution to totally prevent a child from seeing one of his parents. Even if it's a couple of weekends here and there.

• Lol he can't have full custody if he hasn't been I'm her life I think the biggest thing to happen is the court will allow him to have time with her as in seeing on weekends if his lawyers are really good

• Hmm bad idea for having face book.

Any evidence to support that he refused to have anything to do with the child?

Oh i share the same day and month birthdate with your child ⭐️