Remove dust from my computer help on how to do it?

My computer is slow, how can I make it faster , in order to remove dust from the fan; is it a good idea to turn it off and vacum it? through the ventilation holes? its a little bit oveerheated in adition to that what software can i use to make it faster? I dont want to format it yet but If i have to I will do it

Most Helpful Girl

• For dust removal first turn it off and remove all the cables. Then if it is a laptop remove the battery and use an air duster to blow out the cooling fan ventilation holes. If it is a desktop take off the side panel and blow out the whole interior with an air duster. Vacuum cleaners are not recommended for computer cleaning. You can get air dusters cheaply from office supplies stores.

If the computer is generally slow however it is more likely to be either disk fragmentation or so much crap has been installed over the years it is just struggling to cope with what is being demanded of it. PM me with the specification (make model) and I'll let you know if it is worth rebuilding/upgrading or just getting a new one.

Most Helpful Guy

• Take your computer outside after turning it off and unplugging it. Remove the side of your computer case. Get a spray can or any device that blows air and spray air inside your case. Be sure to spray the fans the most. You could also remove the fans and clean them with a moist cloth.

Be sure that the fans are properly running when you turn your PC back on, and especially make sure the heatsink / fan is seated properly on the CPU.

As for software, I'd recommend these things you can google:
    WinDirStat: Management of files and cleaning out what's taking up a lot of space. (USE WISELY)
    CCleaner: Cleans up space automatically and fixes registry problems.
    Malwarebytes: Anti-virus software. One of the best on the market.

Be sure that all your drivers are updated too. Especially graphics drivers.

• The only caveat I would add to the above is not to use air from a shop compressor. It will also blow water. The cans of dry air they sell for the purpose are best.

• @Tromba I used a compressor called ultra duster, I noticed that on the outside of the pc it left a little wet where I used it. how long should I wait before using the pc again, I blew it through the holes.

• I used a compressor called ultra duster, I noticed that on the outside of the pc it left a little wet where I used it. how long should I wait before using the pc again, I blew it through the holes.

What Girls Said 1

• Canned air works really good, best to turn off the computer first.

What Guys Said 1

• on a laptop i use compressed air threw the vents. on a desk top i take the casr side off and use compressed air to blow out the chip heat sink