Do you think calling somebody a slut is protected by free speech?

If you do try this. Call a girl a slut within hearing distance of a police officer and see what happens. If she doesn't take it very well then you will probably wind up with a charge of harassment. It would not be a defense even if you could prove she is promiscuous. The courts wouldn't care. This isn't limited to the word slut, calling somebody an offensive name is harassment. That being said feel free to use the word if you think it fits in your conversation but using it to harass is not free speech and is illegal.

Two upvotes for the guy that is proud to use the n word?
I asked this question because I saw somebody on this site say that they can call somebody a slut because of the freedom of speech. It is important to know that the freedom of speech has limitations. The famous quote it the freedom of speech doesn't mean you can yell fire in a crowded theater.

Most Helpful Girl

• If I see a slut, I will call her one. I don't care. It's not like I'm gonna say it directly to their face or I'm going to purposely cause problems by calling them out on it, but I have a right to say it about someone if I want.

• You are like me then and that is the point of what I said. Don't get me wrong I do not approve of the lifestyle just saying they have rights and you can't harass them for it.

• Thanks for MHO. And yeah, I think it's wrong to harass people about that stuff. It's okay to have an opinion and you can say what you want, but your should be respectful of others and think about what kind of damage your words could do.

Most Helpful Guy

• Oh gosh.. I'm tired of these dumb focks who thinks freedom of speech is literally you can say the fuck you want and get away with it... I'm so surprised by the amount of people not knowing freedom AND RESPONSIBILITY and and acknowledging THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES... Dumb fock people only wants the free part and nothing else...

It's ike me saying to a cop.. 'Fuck the police, Officer ken I'm gonna kill you when you're off duty I can say it cause free speech'..

or to the 12 year old girl
    ''You little young slut, you're worthless''...

Then goes on cry about my lack of freedom of speech when gets confronted. Utterly moronic.

• Thanks somebody that gets it.

• You can tell a cop that he's a piece of shit, what you can't do is threaten.

Two different things.

• @ArtDent Yes do that too while you're at it.

What Girls Said 1

• In America, yes. As long as you don't follow her around all day or some shit.

What Guys Said 5

• If burning the flag is protected under the first amendment then so is name calling

• FIRST OFF I THINK WHAT YOU SAY IS VERY INTERESTING
    SECOND OF ALL WOMEN ARE NOT PEOPLE THEY ARE DEVICES BUILT BY THE LORD JESUS CHRIST FOR OUR ENTERTAINMENT :P

• It should be.

• of course you should be able to call somebody a slut.

• Funny, the courts have upheld that you can call cops whatever name you want.

• Try it report back

• I already said it is possible to be cited for fighting words.

Once again, one instance of anything isn't "harassment".

Now go ahead and cite case law that would prove me wrong.

I'm certain that if any existed, you'd have provided it by now.

• My question: Do you think calling somebody a slut is protected by free speech?
      You just said: I already said it is possible to be cited for fighting words.
      Good enough for me.