Are you smart? If so, what type of smart do you consider yourself?

I don't consider myself "smart" but I do consider myself a worldly student. I love learning new concepts, about culture, I love learning just about anything. I am the forever student. Well, at least that is the term used for most teachers. ☺

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 28

• Depends. Street smart, for sure. Book smart, not so much. Standardized tests say I'm smart, or at least that I score well. I just can't actually sit down and do work, that's my biggest problem. Plus I just don't have much of a thirst for knowledge, I'm all about chill mode. Asking me to sit down and study something just isn't an effective way to teach me, plus, if it's not something I'm passionate about, I don't even care to know about in depth. That's why college and picking a career was tough. Even the things I love most, I just don't have a desire to know it inside and out.

• Well, I performed well in uni and graduated cum laude, which enabled me to have a great career thus far. I do admit there are some aspects of being "street smart" I lack. For one, I literally struggle with streets. I have literally the worst sense of direction. But my memory is probably slightly above average, which is great in social settings to remember everyones' names.

• Yeah, my problem is the opposite. Memory is not strong for me unless I really liked the delivery of the material or found interest in the subject. I always did and do well in courses despite it.

• I'm so smart, that I can confidently say, that I'm not yet smart enough. ^.^

• Living as taught me street smarts, since I grew up in a bad neighborhood, like do go out at night or be venture out alone bad.

I have common sense something apparently few people possess now a day's

And then I'm educated and smart in the things I know how to do, art, but I am always constantly learning and expanding my knowledge. In my eyes there is no such thing as useless information only useless minds.

• I agree there is no such thing as useless information. It is always of use to someone. I love random tidbits information, it really comes in handy when playing trivia games. Also, I am a forever student, too.

• Mhmm very true.

• The extent of intelligence depends on a persons own sentience doesn't it? I don't know that there are different types of "smart".

I'm conflicted because of two aspects of intelligence.

On one hand, I'm inquisitive, I'm compelled to understand the makeup of existence.

Understanding myself and others according to what we are made of, how we function, how we develop and the patterns we use to navigate through different stimuli. It's fascinating.

But on the other hand, the more you learn about the world, the more you open your own eyes to what existing is and how it is demonstrated, the more misery you begin to fathom.

So it becomes a constant balance between your own happiness and your compelled nature to understand.

I think this is why many people choose to be only as intelligent as they have to, because they don't want to see the bad that comes with the good of understanding.

Or their lazy, hard to tell sometimes. XD

• I used "smart" loosely. I meant it in a sense of, are you aware of your own abilities? Do you know what you can and cannot do? Can and can't comprehend?
      Great read. I guess next time I should add a description. Are you a metacognitive thinker or a standard thinker?

• Ah I getcha.

I'm in a bit of a post lunch stupor at the moment, full and groggy. XD

• Lmbo, I know the feeling. No worries.

• I am a Nuclear Engineer; I'll let you decide.

• I have common sense. That's all I need.

-I was arguing with a guy what the word "pride" really means. He tells me to look it up, I do, I type it out right from the dictionary in front of me (made examples) and he still thinks I'm an idiot. Go figure.

• Some people can't handle being wrong. Common sense is great because not everyone have or use it.

• More so when no one friends you. I still think its weird when strangers talk to me here but friends don't on facebook.

• Yeah, that is one reason I like this site because Facebook can be so stiff.

• I'm not sure what "smart" is. I think there are two things, Intelligence and Wisdom.

Intelligence is your capacity to know things and figure things out.
    Wisdom is the practical application of intelligence.

I personally believe I'm very intelligent, my wife is even more than me and scarily enough, my daughter is more intelligent than both of us.

But my dad, who flunked out of college after 1 semester, is I think one of the wisest people I've ever met.

• I can agree with this. Smart can mean, what are you good at? What do you comprehend? How do you view yourself? In this context, it is how well do you know yourself and your "smarts"?

• no i do not see my self as smart or intelligent. the IQ test they gave me in high school says i am , but i suck at school and back then you probley would have seen me as a loner or anti social. i never fit in with the preps , geekes , jocks. etc. the only group that wasn't really judgmental in school was the burnout " the ones everyone know partied and done drugs" i was for the most part the designated driver for the people i got along with.

• self educated analytical minded, pretty good at reading people as well.

• Love this... Being truly aware of yourself and your thoughts is something most people don't possess.

• had a particularly difficult childhood. It makes you look at things diffrently.

• I'm very smart academically but social I'm about as inept as a hyena with downsyndrom. I'm particularly good at math and science

• This made me laugh. Glad you acknowledge this. Some don't realize it, well mostly due to disorders.

• Eh, I've got *lots* of learnin' left to do.

• Not particularly. I did an IQ test many years ago, I was about 19 and it came out normal (about 115 or so), I wonder if my score would change making the official test again?

Anyways, I don't consider myself overly intelligent, but I pay attention to details. I overthink things and have a very analytical mind. I'm very perceptive when to relationships too (friendships, romantically).

Meh, that's all I can say. I want to learn more and improve myself as much as I can.

• From your comments you appear to be considerably more switched on than most GAG users.

• You have a great insight of yourself. Most people do not.
      I am also a forever learner. I think you can never learn to much...

• @Asker Thanks and yes, you should always aim for more. Never let your brain cells become rusty lol

• I think everyone is smart - I think I am emotionally smart

• there's two broads types. 'Smart' which is more like - if you dont know, you'll defiantly find out. Then there's 'intelligent' - which is, you just know.

• Street Certified and Self educated

• I'm so smart that I need a piece of paper that say something else. Like "PhD in world domination".

• Well I one time beat two bros at beer pong solo..

• Who? Me? No, 'course not. I always have more to learn.

• I feel the same way, you can never know too much. I am the forever learner. Forever student.

• I think I'm of average intelligence.

• Book smart, and very perceptive.

• I don't know but I have common sense :P

• I come across smart even though I'm not the smartest.

• Well educated, very sharp analytically. Not much in the way of EQ.

• Analytical people always make me tense. I feel as if they are judging me. However, it is a great to have especially, when dealing with the public.

• yes, i'm very smart. in all ways.. no, just socially smart.

• Not even. The more I know, the more I relise how much I don't know

• When I was in high school our guidance counselor gave us a battery of aptitude tests, it took a whole week of classes. Fascinating stuff, I wish I could recall the name of the tests, they were physical as well as mental.

I found out I have a below average short term memory for example, something I hadn't noticed. In every other way I was at least above average but the ones that surprised me were to do with spacial perception, the chart didn't go that high. I also had extremely high manual dexterity.

It was kind of funny. The teacher was explaining how boys tend to have higher spacial perception and girls greater manual dexterity so he asked several of us our scores and was writing them on the blackboard to average them. When he got to me my spacial perception score pleased him because it fit his theory but when I told him my manual dexterity score he asked to see the test results sheet then decided to drop me because I brought the average for boys up past the girls.

Another beautiful theory ruined by an ugly fact.

• Yes I'm pretty smart. Just not when it comes to girls

What Girls Said 19

• I'm fairly analytical by nature so some people say that I'm smart. I might be inclined to agree with them.

• No I don't think so!

• Judging by your comments in here, I would say so. Smart and witty.

• Most people would say I am a dumb blond! hahaha I don't really care.

• id like to think so. I'm more of the 'thinking outside the box', creative, strategic smart.

• Sometimes I think I go to far out of the box. I always tell people to reel me back in if I go to far. Lol

• Common sense smart.

• I don't consider myself smart at all

• I am quite sure there is something you excel in. But who am I to say? You know yourself and that is a form of "smartness".

• No I am so dumb😐

• I am good enough
    I analyse well, have a good logic, memorize fast, good with languages and innovative/creative. well I hope ^^

• sort of. book smart i suppose, but clearly... there are many books and disciplines i'm never going to venture into.

• What do mean with smart?
    Like smart as wise? Because then probably not. 😂😂
    Or smart as intelligent? Then yes i guess. I did an IQ test and my IQ is 136.

• Both book and street smart,

• Intelligent with common sense

• Well I do get honors in school. But I believe there's more too it.

-Linguistic Smart
    and slightly Interpersonal Smart I would consider myself.

• Probably book smart. It's pretty easy for me to learn things in school.

• I'm book smart and people smart.

• Smart...
    Hmm. Sometimes I take iq tests and the highest score I got was 163. But those tests are unreliable because they were online (and free). I don't really consider myself "smart", but maybe more knowledgeable because my mom teaches me things about relationships and cooking. 😃
    I think I'm more emotionally intelligent because I took an eq test once and my score was 187. Also, I'm really good at holding in anger and sadness, so yeah.

• I would like to think that I am smart on life.

• Maybe just a smart aleck.

• I am dumb as a rock.

• Book smart, but not street smart. I am also very dense. I do get high honors though.