Have you ever had a panic attack?

I did yesterday and it was the worst thing ever-It felt like i stopped breathing. Have you guys ever had one? And how did you deal with it?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah i have loads of them all the time. I dont usually start breathing really fast but other things happen such as feeling sick, my stomach starts messing up, i wake up sweating or feeling really hot etc.. I dont find it easy dealing with them and sometimes i need to get up and walk around. They generally happen at night so i end up opening a window. Sometimes they come one after the other so that means its lasted up to an hour or so. It really messes up my sleep as well.

Stressful situations or you're anxious about something, could be anything, can cause panic attacks but sometimes they can happen for no reason whatsoever. Sometimes i haven't even had a stressful day and they come on for no reason. I still dont find them easy to deal with but i know when its a panic attack so i tell myself this is temporary it will stop soon.

Most Helpful Girl

• No I've never had one before. I've heard of ways to stop one tho. It's like find five things to touch, four things you KNOW are there, three scents, two things to taste (if possible of course lol) and one thing to stand on or walk around slowly. Having never had one I wouldn't know if this really works n I probably remembered it wrong anyways *blushes*

What Guys Said 16

• I had a bit of depression a few years ago and panic attacks were part of it - Really like a lot of things mentally health related, find a coping mechanism that works for you - I have bipolar and sometimes my brain gets manic and I have attacks where it feels my brain overloads - So I go for a long walk to try and get away from as much stimulation as possible, use the time to allow the crap to overtake you and then build yourself back up again - It is hell but just tell yourself that it will pass and let it happen. If you have trouble breathing - You have yoga experience use that go into your meditation and concentrate on your breathing - The only thing that matters is your breath and getting the rhythm going again, relaxing your lungs to open them up again.

• No, I haven't and I can't really imagine ever having one. What could cause it? What does it feel like? I feel like I'm too relaxed for having panic attacks but who knows...

• No I'm not a little bitch

• No I haven't

• I think so. I was at work and I seemes to go into a warp type thing. Everything around me seemed to be speeding up and noise was all distorted all I could see was the computer infront of me and my heart was racing

• Not absolutely sure... but likely the best thing to do is lie down even if you have to lay on the floor, you don't want to pass out and fall!

• after being on a plane where a bird strike occurred... then having to turn around and make an emergency landing...

it's difficult for me to feel anxious about most common things.

• Nope I haven't. My friend has. Its scary shit

• Nope 🙂

• No, I've had an anxiety attack and it was pretty bad.

• Only when I was slipping off a cliff

• @tifftaff01 I was rock climbing.

• Ohhhhh lol Okay that makes sense. Well thank God you were with friends then

• Yep I take medication

• Are you having them often?

• Once yes. I was knee deep in reality. Denial has it's benefits.

• maybe had one while diving and ended up having divers sickness if thats what its called. just remember loosing controll so can't help u but i feel with u

• I've had moments where my heart raced.

What Girls Said 18

• Yes. I had a panic attack once in my life. It was during the last 1/3rd of one of my medical school exams when something about the exam hit me hard reminding me that my mother was going to die soon because of her diagnosis and I may never see her again. I remember feeling like I couldn't breathe... the room looked so bright and my heart was pounding so strongly I could hear it loud in my ears and it was terrifying. A strong sense of impending doom and the anxiety was paralytic and inescapable. I kept clicking answers in the exam room barely having any control over my brain. I remember finishing as fast as I could, running home but I couldn't properly see anything. It was just bright everywhere. I don't remember seeing the people around me though I think there were crowds. I don't know if anyone noticed me. I just ran til I got home and rushed to my bed. Tried to catch my breath, tried to see through the brightness, cried hard, and fell asleep. And then I woke up calm but light headed. It was so weird.

Really scary. I think I ended up getting a B on the exam instead of an A. Pretty sure I got all the last questions wrong.

• Not me but my dad gets them frequently and i've got some tips.
    First sit down instead of walking around or laying down. With a straight back if that is possible.
    When you have a panic attack you often start to hyperventilate and when you do so too much carbon dioxide leaves your body and it's good to regain that carbon dioxide again by breathing into a paper bag. That way you prevent yourself from fainting.
    Remember to take deep and long breaths as this can calm you down. Imagine that your are breathing in a square or count to 4.
    So 1 2 you breath in
    and 3 4 you breath out.
    If you get these panic attacks a lot there is medication that you can get who will help you cope with it.
    Hope this helps ^-^

• Yes I have. When I was 12 I had a series of Panic Attacks.. they were the worse things to happen to me. I felt I was dying and was about to have a heart attack. I thought I had some mortal disease or something and went to the ER a couple of times, went to multiple doctors , each one of them gave a different diagnosis (anemia, calcium deficit...) but deep down I knew it was all in my head, I tried working on my mind and now, I haven't had one for 9 years.

• I used to have panic attacks all the time, they are awful. The thing that always helped me most was to focus on a task, it could be anything that interests you. Usually something a bit boring is best, or try counting slowly to try to give yourself time to calm down.

When I was in therapy my counsellor taught me a breathing technique that I still use when I feel anxious. Breath in through your nose for 4 seconds, then hold for 2 seconds, and then breathe out through your mouth for 6 seconds, and repeat.

Hope some of this helps!

• I have several time.

• Yes, I have. More than once. I dealt with it by having people calm me down and going into a room to calm down.

• Yeah. I had on when I had argument with someone i cared for. The feelings were basically not mutual. I loved him though. More than I think he will ever know. The argument broke my heart. I ended up having 3, and when I finally calmed down.. I went to sleep, and almost had one while sleeping. I thought I was dying. Or that I was gong to at least.

• No That never happened to me. I am sorry for what happened to you. Maybe you can get some help. Maybe trying some meditation helps :) I am trying yoga time to time. It helps me to calm down ^^

• No
    Read this to help you breathe next time. Invest in paper bags.

www.netdoctor.co.uk/.../

• Yes I've had a few. Most recent one was just before Christmas.

Sadly, you ride them out.

• no but I had 2 of my friends who did.
    they used to collapse on the floor and struggle to breath. it was really scary.
    it s mainly due to stress, and exhaustion etc..
    I hope you re feeling well now :)

• I used to have them daily. I've gotten past my problem now and I get them rarely. I think the best thing to do is let it happen once its started. Get yourself alone ride it out and after take a bath or read a book, something soothing to you.

• yes i have. i get them a lot I've learned to control them by deep breathing. its good not to be alone so if you feel one comin gon tell somebody just so theyre there with you as a comfort.

• No I have not.

• I have them at least twice a week. there are meds you can take if it happens a lot. it really does feel like you're drowning with out water.

• No, and hopefully I'll never have one.

• I don't think I ever had a panic attack before.

• Plenty of times.