How do you feel about the grammar police?

• I'm glad they are out there. I'd rather someone point out my error so I can correct it and not look dumb.
  • They need to shut up because it's the internet and I don't care, so theiyr'rre!
The poll is so close!

Most Helpful Guy

• Indifferent. It doesn't bother me. I can write fragmented, formal, or informal sentences just as much as the next person, but if you are trying to convey a thought to your reader (s), it is nice if someone points it out to me. Perhaps I didn't make sense or requires clarification for the reader.

Now I would be annoyed if someone corrects me for words such as, "ur/urs" and telling me to use "your/yours" or using punctuation marks such as apostrophes.

Most Helpful Girl

• I salute them! As an English major, I find them helpful.

What Guys Said 19

• They need to STFU. It is so annoying when people do that when they very well know and can understand what a person is saying. It also can be really rude when they do that and you can tell they are not actually listening to what your saying because they are too focused on being the grammar police.

• My own mother is 'that' person. I'll be in the middle of telling her something on the phone, and she'll just put the brakes on and correct something I said like I'm a little kid. She has excellent grammar and is often praised for the way she speaks and edits, so there is no stopping her.

• Well I am not sure if you were joking or being serious when you did that.

• It's one thing if a person's argument is completely illegible and they make so many grammar mistakes it hurts your head to read it.
    It's another if someone makes a misspelling/grammar mistake only once or twice. If seen someone try to counter an entire person's argument by just correcting one thing, like *there

It's really stupid to go around acting like you're Spell/Grammar check.

• There are more important things to worry about than grammar

• Yea its the internet lol... not a thesis paper

Especially the ones that point out - its not 'your' its 'you're'

• I am my own grammar police. I hate it when I make typos.

• That they like anal.

• It's stupid how many people think they won an argument just because another person had poor grammar/spelling.

• I usually am the grammar police. Doesn't matter how smart someone is, if they can't put in the effort to speak proper English I'm probably not going to listen.
    I dont nitpick little things but people should at least try.

• They need to take themselves way less serious.

• Me no give fuck.

• They seriously need to keep quiet. Not all of us were born in English-speaking countries. Language was created to make communication easier, if you understand the other person then no need to go around highlighting errors.

• I make so many grammar mistakes and my auto correct isn't helping either (since the autocorrect setting is Dutch) but I guess that's fine. I'm always willing to learn from my mistakes if someone corrects me.

• They can go to hell

• It the interest who cares

• They're fagot losers

• Voted C They're a lazy bunch.

• I don't know about the grammar police but im sick and tired of the feminazi police.

Your Question has been hidden and is under review by admins. After admin review, this question can be removed permanently or put back on the site.

Question Title: Freedom to post what you like or what?

Question Details: Should we have the freedom to comment how we like instead of having to ask someone's permission before we post, because some people thing it is their place to dictate what we can say and whether we should post on their opinion. Do you think we should edit what we say to people on their conversations and ask their permission to comment, or should we say what we like.

• Welcome to the real world. This is a free site. One that you did not create. You know those long long "sign this before you sign up" contracts that no one reads before they actually sign up for something... yes, those. Those allow site runners to do what they please with their own property. You can complain about it as you have, but what is complaining about it here on somebody else's question going to do for you? Nothing, that's what. Since you've paid no money to use this site, and even if you did, you have the right to walk away and go off into that yonder to create your own intellectual property whereby you can say and do whatever you want, let others say and do whatever they want, but as with others who've said much of the same, you're still here, you're still posting, and thereby still agreeing by default with this sites practices.

• it is about time women were welcomed to the real world instead of just getting things removed they don't like or find offensive, or whining about something until somebody changes it for them.

• You're clearly one of those "angry at the world people," who takes his personal problem out on everyone else he crosses paths with. I mean, my question is about grammar and you've made this about you for some reason. You picked a random question to rant about your personal problem which cannot be solved by me because it literally has nothing to do with me. The end.

• I lose respect for them as soon as they start correcting people. They are just smug assholes. Half the time their own sentences are more flawed than the person they are correcting. They normally aren't smart, they are just dumb people that want to look smart by mocking others for common mistakes.

• My greatest victories in life often come from Grammar policing, the Grammar police. If you correct me in some nasty way, I WILL go through all the comments, find you, find your errors, bring them to light and expose the hypocrisy.

I do this all the time ---> "hte." It's not that I don't know how to freakin' spell, "the," but if I'm typing fast, it sometimes gets through... and so what. Most INTELLIGENT people would know from context what I meant, hence it's not a big deal. Resume's, important life or death documents, college papers, English teachers... these are the moments that your grammar needs to be on the up and up, but some internet blurb about nothing...

What Girls Said 15

• They're just communicating 3 things, none of which is a good thing.

#1, their disregard for the actual discussion at hand.

#2, the high regard in which they hold completely trifling shit. (You just KNOW these are the same people who design 17-page forms for you to fill out for EVERYTHING.)

#3, most importantly, their own limitations.
    "Ungrammatical" language can be a VERY powerful tool.
    We was robbed! rpseawright.wordpress.com/.../
    (Much more forceful than "We were robbed!"... don't you think?)
    Oh. No. You. Dit. N't.
    As if.
    The what now yo?
    (:
    You get me.

Formal writing is a thing, but it's only one thing. One thing, among many many many things. And, far more often than not, NOT the best or most effective of those many things.

• Communication isn't just about perfect grammar or speech. Communication succeeds when two or more parties are able to understand each other and communicate in whichever way, they are able to. For example if someone who doesn't speak English points to his watch, and I say 4pm, we've communicated. If that same foreigner tries to apply for a job where a lot of customer service is required and he or she cannot effectively explain store policy, communication fails. So there is a time and place for "perfection," and a time where no one should be popping a vein because someone used the wrong, "there," in a sentence. The only people I correct are the young because they are still learning, and those who in the case of perhaps said foreigner, ask for assistance with their language. Otherwise, if I catch your meaning, we're cool. You're not writing a paper for me.

• I was actually agreeing with all that you said in your first comment, but you've also summed up the bigger point, which is you can break the rules once you know them. I mean I challenge every single person right now to produce a handwriting sample that looks anything like the way you learned to write in school... yeah, no, I'm sure it's all a series of various chicken scratch, but again, if someone can read that scratch, that is another example of rules being broken, but to no ill effect. No one says I can't really understand what you wrote there because you didn't have a perfect loop on your "b."

• To be fair, if you challenge anyone who immigrated here from Asia as an adult, you will so totally lose that challenge. You'll get yr ass handed to you in perfect copybook manuscript. (:

I can actually write right-side-up or upside-down with either hand, so I have 4 different handwritings. What's scary is just how much they all look almost exactly like each other.

• If you're going to communicate in a written format with people you ought to do your best to use correct grammar.

• For the most part, I don't think people intentionally said out to use poor grammar. It's more like someone will say, "I went to there house for dinner last night," and the GP will snap in and say, my god, itttttt'ssss "their," not "there." I'm not sure how absolutely important using the right 'there' or 'their' is if you got the person's meaning. It's not like you would be confused as to what they were referencing in the context of that sentence. The only real problem I see is for those that cannot reign it in for important documentation, for school, or writing a formal story for say publication.

• It IS that important to use the correct form of their/they're/there. If it's not then we may as well just get rid of the entire English language and revert back to Latin.

• i dont need help with grammar but i dont mind if someone points it out in a story I've written so i can correct it but if i accidentally make a mistake on the internet then they better shut up because i know my grammar and i made a small mistake theyre bitches for pointing it out especially if im just answering a question or posting my opinion

• I am the grammar police in my group of friends, and they're always telling me to shut up, so I voted B😂😂. Which is true during casual talk, but people need to know proper grammar and not just internet slang.

• Part of me is glad there is someone to point it out so we can better ourselves, but some can get pretty annoying or be a bit harsh.

• I'd banned from gag lol.
    I make soo many grammar and spelling mistakes :(

• I love me some grammar enthusiasts.

• ... I am the grammar police...

• I'm a grammar nazi :/

• Its okay but I feel like some people take it to an extreme.

• I was an English major and still find grammar police annoying as hell. But I do think many people need to work on reading comprehension, after visiting the Wild West known as comment sections.

• They're kind of a necessary evil. They can be annoying af, but they can also be helpful as to help people realise how fucking pathetic their spelling and grammar are.

• It's annoying after a while

• I admit it severely bothers me when people have a million mistakes or decide to use text talk everywhere, so I'm happy to know some people feel the same.