How are Canadians different than Americans?

I know it varies from person to person a lot, but are there any differences between Canadians and Americans who live in a city or town of similar population?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 14

• Just to use an example, I think people in Seattle and Vancouver are more similar to each other than they are to people in New York or Toronto. The geography and proximity have more influence than nationality.

As for cities and small towns. I've always believed that people in cities have more in common with people from cities in other countries than they do with people from rural areas in their own country. I think if you took an American or Canadian cowboy, and dropped them by parachute onto a cattle ranch on the other side of the world, they'd get along just fine. But if you put them in a big city, they'd be so far out of place they'd probably get the heck out of there as fast as they could.

• their bacon is our ham

"If hams Canadian bacon then what do you call bacon?" - Kelso

• depends on where you live, really. like people close to the boarder are really similar. but i guess overall, Canadians are a lot softer... i mean the gave rise to drake, justin beiber and the weeknd... the 3 biggest pussies on the planet. is it a coincidence or something more? *x files theme song*

• Almost all Canadians live within 100 miles of the border.

• @ArtDent yeah, i know. it's something ~90% of the population lives in the bottom 10% of Canada. and i meant by boarder is that americans who live close to the border.

• To me it is the fact that some Americans think us up here in the Canadian landscape live in ice huts, also a lot do not even know how many provinces are in Canada.. I know how many states there are in the U S A

• But I do like that for some deranged people down south that go and terrorize and murder innocent people some get the death penalty down there and that is the way it should be.. here in Canada.. some of the very same stupid people are here and do that as well.. but no mater how guilty they are.. even if caught red handed doing the crime.. they get three meals a day, a roof over their heads.. and a lot of times early parole.. they have nothing to loose.. the justice system here in Canada
      sucks.. one day they may clue in.. but I doubt it

• Canadians are more community oriented and better educated. Americans are ignorant and think it's 'rugged individualism'. Americans are more easily fooled.

• We're politer, quieter, less aggressive, and more community-oriented.

Source: co-worker from NYC

• Not much different that I've ever seen, I spend a lot of time in the US. Typically a little more friendly and trusting I think. We have less crime overall, and less of a "fuck the government, fuck big business" attitude than some Americans.

• We drink milk and they drink maple syrup.

• if ur a us citizen n break ur arm in Canada , theyll point u to a hospital in the US.

if ur a Canadian n break ur arm in the US, you'll be returning home with a cast.

• No that's not true.

• @douride2 Does a minor break in your arm qualify?

• You shouldn't get turned away.

• I assume Canadians are decent people

• Canadians tend to be more friendly. Canadians have bad teeth in comparison to Americans. Canadians have less money. Americans have a bigger cocks

• Canadians smell like ass

• Probably not much difference. Here in America we have a stereotype of Canadians being overly friendly or hospitable, they are generally seen as good guys nothing bad about them.

• Canada's healthcare, is free

• Nothing in life is free

• It's not free we pay for it in taxes.

• I get that, but you get my point

What Girls Said 7

• Canadians seem lovely, for the most part. They live in harmony with nature, don't have a deep driving desire to dominate and destroy the entire planet, they can withstand colder temperatures than those of us who live down south. They are knowledgeable about hockey. Although it costs a small fortune to live in Vancouver, apparently.

• They are less racist, kinder, and more open minded. They are also more educated and aware of the world. This is coming from an American who lived in Canada

• Went to Canada once and literally saw no difference. Granted I didn't venture far from the boarder, but still.

Essentially felt like I was just in an extended Michigan lol

• I don't know if that's a compliment to Michigan or an insult to Canada 😝

• @JSmuve HA. What a funny guy.

Considering Canada is attached to Michigan via Detroit... one may be inclined to think it's an insult to Canada.

• We don't wear our shoes in the house.

• They're more educated, polite, And not racist like some Americans can be.
    My boyfriend is Canadian, most respectful man I've ever encountered.

• Canada has a bigger range of hockey fans

• We live with 8 months of winter. lol hahahaha