How have you're political views changed over the years?

Personally I first gained an interest in politics during the 2012 American Presidential Election, I was basically a paleoconservative (ew) and supported Mitt Romney. After that I settled into a Left Liberal school of thought maybe Social Democrat. But over the last year I suddenly radicalized. Now I'm a Revolutionary Socialist, and support the eventual creation of a communist society.

How have your guys views changed?

Most Helpful Girl

• i still don't know a ton about politics, but i am definitely more informed now than i was for the 2008 election (i was somewhat informed for the 2012 election since i was going to vote that year). i was very Catholic as a kid so a lot of my views were pretty conservative. i would say i am moderately liberal now.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have started to gain interest in politics quite early, when I was around 10 or 11. My mom has been a somewhat active member of the socialist party in my country and my dad is also pretty left-wing, although he doesn't talk much about politics. One of my dad's friends was a member of the city council (executive) for several years, also for the socialist party. So I was socialized early on into being interested in politics.
    However, having grown up in a left-wing environment, my views haven't changed very much over the years. I was left wing as a teenager and I'm still a lefty nowadays. However, like yourself, I have radicalized as well over the years. When I was a teenager, I very much believed in the democratic process. I come from Switzerland and we're the only country in the world that has direct democracy on all levels, including a national level. Because of this, questioning direct democracy was completely out of the question for me. It's very much considered a golden calf in my country, maybe like veterans are in the US. Daring to criticize it is almost like being a traitor. And it's true that direct democracy has many advantages over all the other democracies in the world. However, there are also a few big dangers. Partially due to the changes of the political environment in my country during the past 10 years, I have started to question direct democracy and doubt its supposed perfectness. I nowadays sympathize with more militant left-wing groups such as the first generation of the RAF (Rote Armee Fraktion) in Germany (1970s).
    When I was a teenager, I used to be super into communism for a few years. I read Marx and talked about it with other friends who were interested. But because I study history at Uni and because I'm a well-educated person, I also had a point in my life where I had to admit to myself that communism can't be the solution. I still find it interesting as an idea but I don't think it's feasible or indeed, desirable for humanity. Instead, I now sympathize quite strongly with syndicalism and socialist anarchism. Both of these models (or a mix of both of them) would be much better than communism in my opinion. Syndicalism in particular can look back on a few very interesting and successful real-life experiments in the history of the 20th century. It also has a few famous supporters such as famous American linguist and intellectual Noam Chomsky.

What Girls Said 3

• Mine haven't changed since 18.

• In High School, I was a Republican. I became less irrational and gained common sense. Now I'm Moderately Liberal.

Communism is good in theory... yet will never be achieved in our current society.

• Well you cannot have a stateless society in the current situation which is why a global revolution and the establishment of transitional socialist states is necessary. Eventually the state would fade away and then communism would be achieved.

• Raised republican, few liberal years there, then snapped out of the liberal brainwashing and now Im republican again.

What Guys Said 13

• Most politicians of my country are highly corrupt scumbags, and the taxes we pay are actually becoming their personal wealth. Even the judicial system here is defunct, since the judiciary can easily be influenced with money.

So I stay away from politics, and all the filth that comes with it.

• I was first a social democrat (what Americans would call a liberal), because that is the propaganda in the government schools. Then, I became a conservative, more out of rebellious impulse than actual thought. Then, when I started to think seriously about politics, I became a libertarian. Then, finally, I rejected libertarianism and became an Objectivist. Ironically, it was the Ayn Rand bashing of American liberals that introduced me to Objectivism!

• Used to be libertarian -> Went to uni (a really conservative uni btw) -> double majored in accounting and political science -> is now a progressive moderate liberal democrat

• i realized politics is just retarded all around.

communism only works if basically no one is in control and everyone sees their job as the same, has virtually the same functions and the person in power basically just gives up all of his power. the problem is that no one in their right mind would see the work of a janitor the same as a doctor.

• In communism there is nobody in charge as control is communal. In communism the state has already withered away after an undefined amount of time under socialist control. Also nearly all jobs are automated by that point and people really only need work because they want to. Once there is a surplus and most things are automated there's no need for many people to work, but it's a natural thing to work.

• yeah, when has that ever happened in communism where it's communally controlled? someone (or people) have to run it to make sure the cog works. that's the inherent problem. millions of people can't govern themselves for the better good of the state. even if all the intentions are there somehow, there's no one to make sure it's going right. and even if everything becomes automated, there's still upkeep. your computer won't last forever. your car doesn't work on infinite power supply and last forever. when it breaks down, someone has to fix it, which requires labor and knowledge, which people will exploit for pay, which will cause inequality and break the theory of communism.

• That wasn't communism as there has never been a communist society. There have been failed socialist states. Communism is stateless and to be created depends first on a global socialist revolution which hasn't happened yet. But if everything's automated and there's a surplus and my car breaks why not take another car as a replacement. Either automated things could fix my computer or someone who enjoys working on computers could work on it. And now knowledge isn't as restricted as it once was, nobody needs pay for something if currency isn't a thing anymore and there's a surplus of goods that they have access to.

• Nope, not too much. Communism, that is scary.

• I was far left as a child because who wouldn't be. Then as I got older I learned how to math and became more right wing.

• My politics have changed not because I became more liberal or conservative but because I have developed thoughts on what is important and moral rather than just supporting every word out of one party. I'm not sure if I've moved on the political spectrum.

• they haven't i still vote for who i feel is best for the country at the time

• I have grown more progressive.

• I've always been an anarchist.

• I was quite libertarian at your age, at least by non-u. s. standards, which means i'm not entirely sold on everyone being armed to the teeth.

I've become more pragmatic over time.

I'm also not convinced that unfettered capitalism fairly apportions the productivity benefits of technology.

• I started out being very pro government liberal, saw capitalism as oppressive. Basically a neo-hippy outlook. The more interaction I had with business, workers and government the more I came to the conclusion that one is every bit as bad as the others. We're all just people and most people are pretty twisted. There is no moral difference between the strong and smart and the weak and stupid. The weak and stupid would be just as bad if they had the capacity and got the chance. There is no one who can be trusted to be in charge and exercise power selflessly. "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Socialism never appealed to me, it's basically inverted slavery.

• Was a Republican at your age. A libertarian in my mid twenties and a social Democrat in after that and now I don't give a fuck. They are all bought and paid for.