What is your take on a "rommie" from the opposite sex living with you in the same room?

like were you rent a room together with someone from the opposite gender,
this also happens in some unis were the doorm rooms are shared between opposite genders.
I might do it in the future and had an offer from some guy that wants a roomie, but I have my reserves.
is it inappropriate?

Most Helpful Guy

• That is not likely to end well. Regardless of intentions, sexual feelings make themselves known. Being in close physical proximity, changing clothes with the other present (even with a screen), and generally sharing that intimate a space so much with someone of the gender that you are attracted to results in urges that become overwhelming.

Sharing a commo bathroom but having a separate bedroom is much better.

Most Helpful Girl

• it all depends on a few things, from your feelings for him, how comfortable you would feel, how he feels about you. It would be completely different then sharing a room with the same sex. I don't know if i could do it, at least not long term, unless i was dating him.

• neutral feelings like friends or house mates were you are only renting together not romantically tied together

• I guess you could try though you would still need to be close friends by sharing a room as you have to share the space, no privacy and you would learn everything about each other, like what you do in you both do in your spare time.

Though i guess it wouldn't be much different to sharing with the same sex, if you are good friends :)

What Guys Said 13

• In the same room? That's really complicated. I don't recommend that.

• There are things that a man needs to do by himself or with another man like farting or burping. Even changing clothes become complicated in a co-ed room.

• I think if there is a like a screen the changing clothes part is solved but there is no guarantee of him making inappropriate advances

• Exactly, it could be fine, but there is a chance he might have one of those weird fantasies of having sex with a female roommate.

• Contrary to all other guys here, I think it could totally work. I would definitely PREFER having a female roomie than a male roomie - under the condition that we both get along well. And no, I wouldn't make any sexual advances towards you. I think it's a little stupid to say that a guy and a girl in a room will automatically have sex at one point. I disagree with this, mostly because any half intelligent person should know that among roomies, there should be an unspoken rules that you keep it platonic. And there's absolutely no reason why this shouldn't work. I have two very good female friends and nothing ever happened with any of them. With one of my female friends, I even went travelling and we slept in the same tent for a month. We are both straight and we were both single at that time. Yet, nothing happened. The reason for this is very simple: we are good friends and we didn't want to ruin this friendship. We didn't even have to have an awkward talk about it. It was clear without having a conversation about this: anything sexual is/was completely out of the question. When you have a roomie that you get along well with, the situation is very similar. I would never want to mess up a good roomie-friendship just for some sex.
    However, there are other reasons why a roomie of the opposite sex can be better. In my case, I feel much more comfortable around girls than guys. I have very few guy friends and I generally don't feel comfortable around guys. It takes a very special type of guy for me to feel comfortable. Most guys are way too guyish for me. I don't like guys who fart and burp (as somebody else wrote here) and I don't like guys because they tend to be kinda distant/reserved, they like to get drunk and if you wanna give them a hug, they automatically think you're gay. I find the company of women much more enjoyable. If I had a female roomie and we'd get along well, I think we could have a very good relationship. We could have long talks about girls/guys, we could give each other advices, she would cheer me up in a sweet way if I'm sad rather than just patting my back and saying something like "oh well, let's get drunk buddy" and if we got along very, very well, we could even have some kind of brother-sister relationship (I once had something like that with a girl and it was amazing). I think I could be some kind of "gay best friend" for my female roomie although I'm actually straight ;-).

• You're attractive, he's a guy with a penis, and you're in close proximity. There's almost a guarantee things will eventually escalate, and it won't necessarily be your side driving the action.

• The same room might be a bit odd - Sharing a house fine but same room might be a step too far for me.

• I grew up with sisters so I'd be ok with that. Just needs to be no attraction. And to keep you hair out of the drain in the bathroom 😜

• i wouldn't want to have a female roomie in my college years. i was too young, too horny, too dumb. it wouldn't have ended welll and i wouldn't concetrate on my studies.

• I've had female roommates in the past, but never a shared room. That'd be too much.

Also, I'm not sure how well that'd go over with my partner. LOL

• That's weird. I probably wouldn't feel comfortable.

• I've had two girls living in the same house. If you can trust them is the only thing.

• Not at all.

• I'd fuck you within a week. If you wanna remain un-fucked, it's probably not the best idea.

• I had a female roommate before, but we both had our own bedrooms.

• No. Its fine until it things get "heated".

What Girls Said 5

• Honestly, I don't even care it wouldn't phase me, of course I would be considerate and close doors when needed to and such.

• An entire apartment? Yes id do it. One small, confined room? No, no I would not.

• I have had better roommates who are men than most of my roommates who were women. The best female roommate I had was hardly ever home.

• but this is sharing a room do you have experience with that?

• actual room, you get snoring with both sexes

• Yes, but it's more prevalent in men. Flabby throats or something.

• I don't mind it. As long as we get along and all that, then it's fine with me.

• Nope, not gonna happen. I don't want to share a room with a brother, let alone stranger dude