Do you support Planned Parenthood?

I think nothing is wrong with it, why are so many people against it?

Most Helpful Girl

• I support birth control. Everyone should have safe and easy access to it. It should be sibsidized by the government for those who can't afford it, and it should be readily available in schools and universities. There should also be more community walk-in clinics for vasectomies and tubal ligations (with proper medical care, of course). Not enough people utilize permanent forms of birth control. Using abortion as a form of birth control is wrong, in my opinion. But I do recognize that sometimes they are medically necessary. I do not, however, support late term abortions or fetal tissue harvesting. So I am a little conflicted about Planned Parenthood.

• Thanks for MHO... there were a lot of informative answers to your question. I did not know that you had to be 18 to go there. That is frustrating. Of course, kids under 18 wouldn't be having sex or needing those services in an ideal world, but we all know it happens.

• I was asking about the age, don't know if it is true. But I'm on the same page as you on this.

What Girls Said 19

• With all the scandals coming out about harvesting fetus parts, no, although as a company they do provide some important services. I understand the need for providing some of the services and products that they had, as long as abortion wasn't tax funded, since not all tax payers believe in abortion.

Right now, I don't like planned parenthood because I keep hearing more and more shady information about them. What everyone fails to realize is that there are other similar organizations. Pregnancy resource center is just one that provides free pregnancy tests and basic health exams, with not only more personalized help for pregnancy like health information about different types of abortions at different stages, several companies for adoption and different options for birthing. You get a counselor to help through the pregnancy, referrals to doctors, free baby clothes/furniture if you need it, and discounts for many companies. That's a lot more personalized than planned parenthood that I know of, but they don't do the abortions themselves, they just refer you to a good doctor if it comes to that, so it's less controversial.

• I support planned parenthood.
    They're doing nothing wrong and if someone's beef with them is that they 'advocate for premarital sex', I hope these people realize that others will have sex outside of marriage whether pp is involved or not. All planned parenthood is doing is providing services to help people go about that in a smarter way, whether that be through sti screening or contraceptive services.

• If you're under 18, do you have to be accompanied by an adult?

• no clue. We don't have planned parenthood in Canada, not as far as I know. We have OPT or 'options for sexual health' but there, as soon as you turn 18 you can be a customer without any parental involvement.

• Cancer screenings, pre-natal care, STI screening and treatment, counselling and support for LGBTQ community, full gynaecology services, birth control, abortion services. PP is the only gynaecology resource available for some women. Why would anyone want to bar people from getting cancer screenings? Oh right, because they have no idea what they're talking about.

• Q? What is that

• @lericah yeah, if they really wanted to stop abortions, they would fund and encourage comprehensive sex ed and availability of contraception. Good thing I'm Canadian. We don't have to deal with this bullshit as much.

• @9mfeo Good news Vasalgel is supposed to come to the US this quarter. It's Indian equivalent has been around for over a decade.

• Planned Parenthood is fine. It's abortion I have an issue with, but PP does a lot more than just that. Sad that that's all it's known for.

I heard recently a woman was having a miscarriage and went to PP for medical care. Some asshat standing outside harassed her, followed her and yelled that she was killing her baby. Can you imagine how much that must have killed her? Just because he assumed she was there for an abortion.

People need to get their heads on right.

• I support it.

Why? Because it doesn't do abortions 100% of the time.

It provides people (me) with an affordable way to access feminine health exams and education. I am not sexually active. I go to Planned Parenthood for my female needs.

If they closed it where would I, and other college age/young/less wealthy women go?

Closing Planned Parenthood is saying that the government does not value women's health.

• I don't know about you, but my health insurance covers it so I don't have to pay a penny. And don't you have to have insurance? I thought it was mandatory. I might be wrong, though.

The reason why people hate planned parenthood isn't because it offers health exams and condoms/pill but because they perform abortions. If they were to just cut the funding for abortions but kept the education and necessary parts functioning, that would be ideal.

• Why should the government have to provide these services for you. Shouldn't everyone be responsible for their own health?

• Says the gender that doesn't have to have his life destroyed by a child

• I definitely support it! But, I don't support how some of the doctors or employees have sold fetal tissue! Whether your a democrat or republican and hold extreme views on planned parenthood, no one should be okay with fetal tissue being sold. That's unethical!

• Sure!!!

• I didn't think anyone was against it? News to me.

• No. I don't support it so I don't want my taxes supporting it either.

• Thank heavens I'm not the only one that feels this way.

• @lericah lmao so much ignorance

• @bubbletrouble I know this game too! We fling subjective insults at each other with no supporting evidence until one of us realizing we don't have anymore free time and stops paying attention.

• Yes, I support it.

• I sure do. Many people are against it due to the fact that they disagree with contraception or abortion..

• call me whatever you want but i am 100% against planned parenthood.

• Explain your reasoning? It's a bit like throwing the baby out with the bath water to defund them for one of the many different procedures they perform for the less fortunate. Especially when the ethicacy of it is in question only part of the time.

• @tropico While uncommon and in some places (ie. GaG spellcheck ) not truly a word ethicacy in most definitions means "the state or quality of being ethical" It seemed the most appropriate term even though I did question for a second if I should use it.

• and to your argument what planned parenthood did was not wrong by legal standards or by my own ethical standards. It was wrong only by your's and a subset of the rest of the theistic community's ethical standards. Ethics are highly subjective and all ethical systems only agree on what can be objectively determined is for the good of society (ie. no murder, fairness, community health) the humanity of a fetus is subjective. You could say every zygote, sperm, and egg that gets flushed down the toilet is a human life deserving of basic human rights; You could say only a being with fully developed self awareness and basic social ability is human; You can also be anywhere in between those two and I guarantee you the world will keep spinning, life will continue, and the electrician at the center of our SMBH will continue to search for the circuit box.

• I support it a 100%. But I do not support with how they sell fetal tissue!

• The fetal tissue is important for research and I imagine, though I've never heard of it, the tissue could be used in practice. It seems a waste, like keeping your organs when you die, to just let the tissue rot. Planned Parenthood despite poor video editing and extremism was only recouping the costs of transportation which includes the vehicle, refrigeration, and bio-containment packaging

• Isn't everyone supporting them anyway with taxes?

• I support it.

• I don't see anything wrong with Planned Parenthood.

• I support it.

• I'm a strong believer against abortion. But, everyone is different.

• My parents fall on the no abortion side of the argument but we both agree this is ultimately a personal decision and our government encroaches on our rights and wastes it's time discussing it. That said the majority of PP funding goes to everything but abortion so it's silly to defund them completely when we still pay to keep dictators in power and private militaries in control

• I'm personally pro life, but I used a Planned Parenthood to get Pap smears in college when the women's clinic I had been using closed. There is so much more to women's reproductive health care than the small percentage of people who get abortions.

What Guys Said 22

• Their history is off putting for me and some things they do I am against. So no I do not support it. As a side note, we are overtaxed as it is. The government doesn't pay for anything. We pay for everything. The moment more people realize that is when you'll see the majority of people get angry at government funding

• The problem with Planned Parenthood is a result of the religious interpretations of the Christian religions, the zeolous convinced that PP is evil, and a lack of listening and reading.

As it's been explained certain PP employees were video taped in secret saying that they receive compensation for the delivery fees on fetal tissue from abortions NOT payment for the tissue itself and in the video they talk with whats deemed to be a callous demeanor about the fetal tissue. The video was cut up and posted in a way to make it look like the employees loved killing things and were getting money for selling fetal tissue. It blew up amongst the deeply religious and the fact that the Republican party chose it as a diversionary issue and the fact that it's utterly false but no one is addressing that is all part of the reason it's a big issue.

Ultimately this is a secular vs theological conflict over a philosophical issue that is aimed at a state sponsored institution that provides primarily women's and men's health care to those who can't afford it and a very small section of their work actually falls into this whole fight.

Besides if the Christians lose this their 0-2 and if the crazy ones are to be believed me and the rest of my atheist friends will reveal ourselves as demons and hail in the apocalypse =^0^=

• I do, I think that they serve a valuable service. Many people are so against abortion that places that do abortions are automatically targets, regardless of any other services that they might perform.

• of course the question is who is against this. You will find the majority of people don't care which in my opinion means leave it alone and do something useful. Yes there are opinions but most of those opinions don't say outlaw it or defund PP for engaging in it and especially don't go shooting people over it.

• @lericah that is true, but their is a very vocal minority

• You raise a point sadly the American public needs a lobbying group that lobbys based on public statistical opinion to determine what it will focus on and what needs to be done. I think the long term decisions and finances could be controlled by a populace based council and a "greater" council based on equal representation. We could then have an executive who controls and executive branch which would do the lobbying. While this "Congress" could do the polling.

Just a thought ;)

• I still haven't figured out my thoughts on their policies and practices fully, plus I'm not sure of the whole you have a "right" to have children thing. I think I need to study this stuff more before I come up with an actual answer. I have to say though, I don't oppose abortion in certain circumstances but that's all I can really say at the moment.

• I think the real issue is that it originally started as eugenics project, it was designed to prevent certain groups from reproducing. Now currently I dont't know of any real issues (not to say their are not).

• I don't support the abortion aspect if they are, in fact, selling fetal tissue. I'm a conservative but I pretty much don't care about them whatsoever.

• I support the principle of it but the organization is sketchy at times. I think you should be free to choose what you do with your body however I don't think the government should subsidize it.

• The only reason to not support Planned Parenthood is because someone falls for the silly demagoguery n shit made up by Fox News.

• Or, y'know, the getting government money AND donating to one political party exclusively.
      It's like the government media in Canada favorably covering the candidates who promise them more funding ;)

• She's not saying dictate abortions, she's saying don't pay for em

• The government isn't dictacting abortions but it sure is funding them. Ftr I despise Herbert. And of course we're still friends. You'll see things more clearly when you're trying to raise a family and every bit of your life is regulated by the government.

• Disregarding the abortion argument, they're still an organization that receives government funding and ALSO donates exclusively to one political party.
    They're also consistently outperformed by community health centers across the nation in people served, efficiency, and services offered.

• On a side note, the videos showing planned parenthood executives admitting to selling fetal tissue are edited ONLY in their short format. The entirety of the unedited footage can be viewed, and basically consists of a couple of hours of going out to lunch.
      If you think "edited" means "false" you need to rethink your life.
      Planned Parenthood also released an apology for the way their executives spoke, AND for the actions themselves.

• As I saw it yes it was not horribly edited beyond recognition but it was saturated with rhetoric around clips of PP staff who for various reasons didn't have their, I feel bad for the babies, hats on. They were speaking frankly around people they thought were peers and professionals and I can tell you from experience around your peers you don't sugar coat things and sometimes you say stuff you normally wouldn't just for some kind of humor. On a side note Scruffy I'd love to see your source

• Religion and misunderstanding, plain and simple.

• I would support the services they provide

• No I do not.

• So providing cancer screenings is wrong?

• They're selling them for like medical research, no? Because very little is known about fetuses, it would make sense that the medical community would want to make use of that. It's like when someone donates their body to science. Or organ donation. Do you also take issue with that?

• @9mfeo Well we have some questions about fetuses but mainly the tissue gives us the opportunity to study human development without killing children. Which is also a lot better then scouring the USA to find some mother grieving the loss of her 5 year old so you can ask for his body.

• Yes. It always amazes me that so many people who adamantly oppose abortion don't do more to support better birth control so that there would be fewer abortions.

• I believe: that the unborn are human beings so to me they mass murder. They also sell body parts... they take pride in crushing different parts to salvage other parts of the body. Anyway you cut it, they are a business. They were formed to keep the African-American population in check. They are corrupt and seek political favors.

• Have you gone into further research in what they do with the fetuses?

• @rdrgzjcqln no, I haven't. The Nazi did a lot of research on the Jews which scientists later refused to use, like how long someone could survive in various cold water temperatures.

• No I don't. It's all a scam to help break up families and brainwash women. And the medical profession, especially in America, is the most dangerous organization to women. It kills far more women than saves them. It's all brainwashing and scare mongering.

• If they are prochoice, I hate them.

• You lose the right to choose the minute you have sex and get pregnant.

• On a consensual basis, and even then within strict context.

• the principal of it yes but not the organization itself

• I support planned parenthood.

• Sucks that Planned Parenthood needs to exist.

Single-Payer Now!

• no there isn't a rigth to have kids.

• I'll definitely never get my condoms from there. They make a fortune off abortions and so I wouldn't be surprised if their condoms had little nics in them.