Do males or females make a better leader?

I know I'm a girl, but I personally think a male leader over a female leader is stronger, and by stronger I mean emotionally stronger. But then again, there's many variables involved

• Males
  • Females
I don't think some people understand the point of my question lol. Let me redirect it for you; if you HAD to choose either a male or a female leader, regardless of anything else, not knowing what either of them had to offer, but you had to choose, which would it be?

Most Helpful Guy

• In b4 femnist attack my opinion.

I've been in leaderships my whole life. Not even a subtle brag here. Was an athlete in high school and practically ran the wrestling team. Went into the Marines after was a squad leader during bootcamp. I then was a guidon at MCT in charge of 71 newly trained Marines. After that I went to the police academy and was a squad leader again. Don't get me wrong there were some badass female Marines I met inside but for the majority a man is always going to hold those characteristics as a leader more so than a woman. You can't fight against our biological wiring. Men make decisions based off of logic for the most part whilst women are more emotional thinkers.

• Holy shit bro... of all the comments ya made in the past, you actually managed to put some considerable thought for this particular subject!! rah Marine!😂😂😂

Most Helpful Girl

• I had to do this topic for a debate in my Leadership and Ethics class some time ago. Research and statistics show that in recent times women make better leaders. They are more inclusive and caring/ using their emotions to ensure all is well while men tend to be more focused on performance and are less caring /flexible when dealing with workplace issues. That's the research. I believe it, it seems logical that women who are naturally nurturers would run a business similar to running a household, giving everyone's opinions a fair share and being able to make it function effectively as a whole. I didn't use these but here they are in case you're interested :)
    www.hbs.edu/.../eagly.pdf
    www.pewsocialtrends.org/.../gender-leadership.pdf

What Guys Said 29

• It depends on the person, just look at Angela Merkel and what she's done with Germany, freaking awesome compared to the rest of Europe.
    But I do agree that men tend to be better and leading roles, perhaps cause men are still taught more and expected to be the leaders. Hell, even women support this behavior, just look in relationships who tends to lead.

Most women are more comfortable with the "following role", while most men are more comfortable with the "leading role".
    Things are changing though, and I think many women are capable of leading too.

• I wouldn't say most men, just "more" men

• @QuestionMan So she has done nothing to keep the country stable? When every other country started falling in 2008, Germany remained up there. She gets no recognition? So when in a race, the winner didn't actually win, the other ones lost.
      Though yeah, you're right, other countries are doing worst in comparison, but why? Who's the main responsible for Germany not doing bad?

• Merkel just created a multi-generational problem with the Syrian "refugees". So many rapes and attacks in Germany now, especially Cologne on New Years Eve when there were over 500 attacks on women at the train station... just google it and see, and see that the Germans are furious with her.

• You'll see many examples of strong and weak leaders, male and female. Gender doesn't make leaders, each person has a different ability to lead. Gender is just a detail when you're able to lead and gain the respect of people. Boudica, for example, was a woman who led a massive rebelion against Rome when they ruled there.

• I simply wouldn't vote on a leader knowing nothing more than their gender.

I kind of lean towards the side that I think an average man might be better-suited, but there's a lot of bias there where we're kind of prone to judge great male leaders, trained to do so, against, say, some girl who whines when she breaks a nail. I know plenty of average guys, including myself, who would make horrific leaders, while I know plenty of girls who might make some really good ones. It's hard to get a fair measurement when so much of society has been patriarchal in nature.

Between me and my wife, my wife would definitely make a better leader. She has her act together. I can't even remember when I have dentist appointment, she has to remind me and point me where to go. She's also level-headed, always calm, not the stereotypical image people have of a girl who is prone to emotional breakdowns. she might be exceptional, I don't know.

If we think parenthood can be compared to leadership, single moms seem to be more of a trainwreck than single dads. But that also doesn't stay anything definitive, since society tends to make life more of a struggle for the single mom.

I'm definitely leaning towards the idea that a generic male is a potentially better leader than a generic female, but I just want to kind of always suggest we hesitate a bit. We have very, very little data about females rising up to leadership roles, properly trained as such, adapting their lifestyles accordingly. We have endless data on male leaders, and in those cases, it's always easy to think the better side is the one with endless data, since our eyes search for prominent examples, and we'll definitely find plenty with so many male examples to choose from.

• "if you HAD to choose either a male or a female leader," I'd choose a female leader. Because something's telling me that she wouldn't be as bloodthirsty nor as quick to start a war... as 1 of my fellow men would like we see in today's world way too often.

And hell I'd rather be screamed at by a girl's voice, smell perfume and have someone sexy to look at while we're doing _____ instead of another man LOL.

• Clearly you haven't seen some of the stories out there. Just read a story about a woman in 2009 who drilled a 3" nail into a man's head, strangled him with an electrical cord, pulled all his teeth out, and beat him to death with a hammer--and also a tire iron. She kept him alive for 3 days to torture him, then said in an interview "I wish I'd kept him alive for a week, and I should have killed that other fucker too."

There are a fair amount of stories out there. Along with one of the most bloodthirsty drug kingpins of all time, Grisela or something in Columbia, was a woman. Called the Black Widow, I think: around 200 killings were attributed to her.

Also taking into account that via CDC stats, severe violent domestic abuse is about 50/50 women attacking men; and men attacking women. 80% of minor-moderate domestic abuse is male on female--however, how many men do you know who are going to go to authorities and tell them they got their ass kicked by their woman? It's probably 50/50.

• @Rawrzz I can name a couple thousand men who have breast cancer but that doesn't mean that men are nearly as vulnerable to breast cancer as women are.
      Likewise, the fact that you can name some examples of violent women, doesn't mean that women are as prone to violence as men.

And sure women may be just as prone to domestic violence as men are, but there's a massive difference in violence towards strangers. 90% of violence towards strangers is committed by men.

• @mistixs Yep. Why do you think that is? There are social reasons for that. Women are largely provided for and spared the dangers and expectations of men. Men are raised to be strong and badass and to compete with other males in strength and power and to provide and be independent. They are raised for ambition and to seek power and self-affirmation.

Female violent crime has been on the rise as equal expectations grow, as women aren't as much raised to be "ladylike".

You seem to lack an explanation for why stranger violence is mostly male, but domestic abuse is about equal. Why do you think that is?

• For the most part, men. I'm not trying to say that Women aren't able to do it or that if they try their instantly worse at it but girls are at a disadvantage for a similar reason as to why guys are stronger.

Men are usually in better control of their emotions, meaning they don't let their emotions cause them to make rash decisions. IE: your having a bad day so instead of dealing with someone in a productive way that requires energy, you shun them.

A leader is something your born with. Probably a majority of people have it but it's mostly men and the crux is in developing it.

Finally, I want to say that a woman who is a good leader will almost always be one of the best. A Female leader who is meant to be one is normally such an emotionally strong person, so decisive and smart. I think it is what happens when a girl is born left brained. I just find girls who are born leaders to be so impressive it's really something to look up to.

• Actually research shows that stress is more likely to cause *men* to become hostile to others, not women.
      www.pbs.org/.../

• @mistixs I'm not gonna click on the link, but here's why:

For starters, there's no possible way that's an accurate statement. I talk from a lot of experience, and I see how someone could build a study to make results like that (Being that most studies are made with the sole purpose of proving a predetermined point) And I won't argue that girls can seem more calm in different situations. But Leadership isn't about not being hostile when things get stressful. One great leader may very well use that as a tool during desperate times.

I think Women have a higher tenancy to cause stress especially since they can very easily make men want them. Girls don't realize how easily their sexuality affects men and in order to be a good leader as a girl you need to have an understanding of that in a way that frankly is extremely rare.

The best way I can explain that is with a loose analogy. One girl can be very psychical without thinking of it while another is extremely conscious.

• Then how can we trust men to be leaders, presidents etc if they're very easily influenced by female sexuality?

• I'll venture that all other things being the same, a man will make the better leader, for the seemingly counter-intuitive reason that he is less likely to lust after the position. He is more keenly aware of the responsibility than of the power, and thus is more likely to dilute his own authority and weigh the long-term consequences of his whims before acting on them. When he communicates, he is more likely to do so clearly and plainly to all parties. The soldier sex is more likely to honor a soldier's values, which prominently include selflessness, discipline, clarity, and cooperation. When do we as a society get most frustrated with a man? When he categorically forsakes the role of leader. Man's salient weakness is precisely his reluctance to lead, as even feminists instinctively acknowledge when he permits himself to step down, leaving them to wrestle with the responsibilities from which he has historically shielded them.

• A male could also provide emotional strength to a female leader though. Being a leader doesn't mean being flawless. Means you know how to carry ideas and how to be respected, regardless of your shit.

• I would choose a male if I was forced to choose one.

• "If women are just as capable of doing things as men why haven't they been able to oppress the entire opposite gender?"

• The reason males were able to oppress females is because females had a lot more on their plates when it came to reproduction (from menstruation to pregnancy to childbirth to breastfeeding to child-rearing) so males had more time & energy to make governments and thus obtain political power, which they then used to oppress females because they found the oppression of females necessary to control reproduction.

• Female for certain. I don't make good leader. I will happily carry the lantern for her glorious leader in the night. I know for certain who they are going to shoot 1st. Leaders tend to make great customers for assassins as well as targets.

• Women because they are more detailed oriented and they can settle the group faster. Guys tend to be more laid back.

• Eh, depends on confidence and experience at the problem at hand.

• Yes, they do. Hands down.

Men are simply better at splitting emotions from rational thinking (biological trait). Additionally women in positions of powers are often the most vile creatures I have witnessed.

• Hard to ssy. Depends on the particular leadership role. Men are a lot more hands on, practical and target orientated but then women are better at dealing with people and talking a plan through and planning. Personally I think age and experience makes for better leaders. Ultimately you might be a leader or boss but it doesn't mean people will follow you. Most leaders dont have a set role as leader anyway

• Being a leader is a personality trait, and some women have it. It just so happens that there are more men with this quality than women.

• In general, males tend to be more forceful, commanding, and so on.
    Doesn't mean women can't be great leaders, I personally know several, we're just speaking in generalities.

• Update: Depends on the situation. There are several assumptions I'd have to make.
      Are we charging into battle? The guy.
      Are we caring for very ill patients? Probably the woman.
      Some women would be better for the first, some men better for the second etc yadayadayada political correctness quantifying bull
      But just making assumptions, that's probably the way I'd go.

• Men def aren't emotionally stronger.

• Men by nature are better leaders on average.

• On average, men are better leaders.

• Most males are more braver than girls, means in such bad situations they can choose the right way, but they tend to be Barbaric sometimes. But Female leaders are more soft hearted and always against what is bad for the members or community

• leading what? an army or a protest?

• i'd prefer someone with experience. thus for a revolution a woman, for war a man

• if i had to blindly choose a leader to lead something i'm unfamiliar with?

a woman. during her leadership i believe a woman is more willing to listen to the concerns of a men and women equally, than a man in leadership.

• I've seen both capable females and males as well as moronic females and males.

• It depends on the personality

• female all to often go on power trips, plus, they expect far too much while they do too little.

• Women are too unpredictable

• Funny thing is women are emotionally stronger but men get better responses from leadership positions than women.

• Voting for men in general. We tend to be more capable of living for causes that are not other humans.
    There is a reason there's several male workaholics for every single female workaholic.

• So then explain the possibility of a woman president in the u. s. for the first time. Why does Germany have a woman president, etc...

I think you just mean in relationships with men, not in general

You're taking the traditional role, essentially

• I think you missed the point of my question... I just gave my opinion...

• Just sayin'

• I have seen greatness in both. That being said, the great male leaders still outweigh the number of female leaders, most likely due to female leaders being oppressed by the male organization. I vote male, bias.

• That doesn't make sense. Using your logic, wouldn't male leaders be terrible for allowing this oppression?

What Girls Said 19

• i think males do too. they're more professional and sturdy in general. I've ALWAYS said the same thing about male workers, particularly in the medical field. they get the job done. some women can just be emotional and bitchy.

• You realize that going into fits of rage & becoming violent is also emotional, right? And that men are a lot more likely to do this than women?

• @mistixs sure i do, but have i ever seen this in the workplace? no. until i experience it multiple times, i will continue to believe men are generally more professional than women.

• Preferably I would like to work with someone I know and trust. But if I had to choose, I would choose the male. Honestly being in high school ruined having someone that I don't know or trust as a leader for something. I remember having to do "group projects" whenever a girl was leading my group, she didn't always listen to others people opinions and always thought she was right. I think guys are more comfortable being a "leader" and confidence is important. I remember when I was in high school and in culinary we were always sorted into groups. I remember being in a group with some girl I didn't know very well and she had trust issues and it annoyed the crap out of me. Her trust issues were so bad that she if she was to ask a team member if they preheated the oven and they said yes, she would go check herself. This sounds totally cliche but i think it depends on the person because there are many variables. Some girls never grow out of that giggly high school stage (or the bitchy high school phase and stuff never gets done because no communication happens) and stuff never gets done and some guys are shy and dont want to lead because they dont have the confidence

• Gender doesn't matter because both genders can have strong leadership qualities to take the helm.

If you're talking about emotional strength, it depends on how you gauge it. A lot of guys bottle up their emotions and explode in a fit of rage with disastrous results which isn't healthy or strong to me. In my society, it's accepted for women to share and show their emotions which IS healthy, but a lot of women are stoic.

I don't think the best quality to gauge a "leader" on would be their "emotional strength". I don't care what gender the person is as long as their a good person.

• I agree with what you say, but i do think men have some leadership skills that just pip females. My brother served in the military and in some harsh conditions around the world and most women pulled out of the leader roles quickly when bullets start flying around.

• I don't think genitals should determine leadership skills.

• The question isn't based that generally... there are A LOT of factors involved... not just genitals.

• I agree with you @lumos, but i still feel men are better at some roles than women. How? My brother served in the military and unfortunately i have seen over the last decade women falter under than intense pressure in combat and in high conflict leadership roles. I wish i had the statistics but overwhelmingly from my small but significant sample size... men and women do have differences in the way we lead. And i think that's the beauty part about it because men and women have these differences it kinda connects us together in more ways than science can currently comprehend.

• It's not just about genitals. Men and women have differences--including neurological differences: different skill sets. It really depends on what *type* of leadership we're talking about.

• I am not sure... I want say women. I think it really just depends on the person character.

• I wouldn't want to hand the title to anyone due to gender, but on individual merit. I've been told that I'm a natural leader. I tend to be pretty logical though and also tend to take charge of situations. May the best person take the responsibility though☆☆☆☆☆

• It's not about gender it is about personality, I know many female leaders including me 😉

• Ohhh lala 😉

• Actually sometimes it just is. My brother served in the military and there are some positions there where men just pip the women time and time again. While yes generally its not about gender but unfortunately some situations men do a far better job on average coping.

• Women can be great leaders, but it actually depends on the person, not on the gender.

• both of them can make better leader

• Depends entirely on their belief system. Richard Nixon and Margaret Thatcher made excellent leaders while Obama and Hillary make terrible leaders.

• Thatcher's leadership qualities are so thoroughgoing that they make her "fucking sexy" in the eyes of my dear husband.

This, from a man who is literally the incarnation of every dirty fantasy I wrote from age 10 onward, and who effuses dominance from every living cell of his body.
      Yep.
      She's fucking sexy.
      The Iron Lady is fucking sexy.

• @redeyemindtricks haha. One of the greatest leaders of all time.

• HAHA. People talk about how women are so emotional & "PMS" but the thing is, men PMS all month long. But when women are angry, it's labelled "PMS" and "emotional", but this doesn't happen when men are angry.

• I would choose randomly (responding to the question in your update). Your personality and skills aren't affected by your gender.

• I really don't think gender makes a difference. Some people have the traits to be a good leader, some don't. It's just how it is.

• it is not about gender, to me it is more of a person's characters, values, beliefs

• Both can i don't think it's a gender thing.

• men, more logic less emotion

• I don't know sry... actidently pressed yours

• Honestly I've seen stronger female leaders than males. Females are better at planning and getting things done. The only problem is in this male domination misogynist society, men don't take women seriously. I've seen more things get done with women in power than men.

• NOTE: However, let's not compare gender. A person's gender does not affect their ability to get a job done besides biases.

• Having a female for a leader wouldn't be good because we wouldn't go to war we would just talk shit about them and spread rumors and shit like that and what if she got pregnant the first couple of months after birth ur not supposed to do anything and what about s on are periods like really we wouldn't want to o anything so that's kinda why its better to have male leaders