Do you ever feel as if life is pointless? What do you do about it?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I do. Everyone feels that way from time to time. There might not be any grand purpose to life--there most likely isn't. But celestial meaning doesn't mean anything to humans. What matters is your perception. Meaning is subjective. It's about how you define it. If you think life is pointless, then it's pointless... to you. And nothing will change your mind.

As for what I do about it. I see a lot of unfairness in the world. A lot of injustice. A lot of bad things that happen to good people. The untold cruelty for no reason. And it's easy to say "well, there's no point to life." But, I make a point, for myself. I create meaning for my own life, as everyone does. I was a nihilist when I was a teenager, believed in nothing. But that was me creating my own meaning--or lack thereof. I chose that nothing should matter. I chose that life was meaningless.

The hormonal cocktail of teenage development didn't help things, but that's another thing. In the developing years, you just have to wait it out. I won't say it will get better, but you will become more able to handle things--more able to create a meaning for yourself.

There are good things in life, still. And the more bad that is around, the more meaning those good things have, in my opinion.

As for how I deal with that. I treat my body well; I treat my mind well. Some of that feeling of pointlessness is a health issue. If your not eating healthy, if you're not exercising, if you're not socializing, if you're not sleeping well--especially as a teen--then you're going to feel more like nothing matters. Sometimes I won't eat for awhile, and I'll have that feeling creeping up. Dread and foreboding and meaninglessness. Then I eat, and it goes away. You have to understand the signals your body sends you. And you have to work towards goals. That feeling may go away, it might not. But it'll be more easily handled.

And, I think about the things that matter to me. My family. My friends. Even something as cheap as entertainment is valuable to me--it has meaning to me. You don't have to have some grand meaning to live a good life. Just finding the things you like in life and pursuing them, working towards them.

While accepting what you cannot change and changing the things you can.

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope, I kind of feel tired with life if I don't see progress but I know purpose in life so it doesn't feel pointless.

What Guys Said 6

• Honestly, if you subscribe to materialism, then life is pointless, aching, agony. Philosophically, life is pointless. Or is there something else going on for you? If you think life has a spiritual dimension, after experiential and critical soul searching and reflection, then maybe life can have some higher purpose: But I mean, as a feeling sensation, not just as an intellectual exercise. Rudolf Steiner said, “If we do not believe within ourselves this deeply rooted feeling that there is something higher than ourselves, we shall never find the strength to evolve into something higher.”

But maybe you're just depressed? :)

• Yeah, I feel like life is boring and pointless.

• Maybe you can get out of it soon and fare better?

• Yeah, I feel that way often... It doesn't matter what you do or accumulate when you're alive, you lose everything in the end. Your knowledge, your skills, your wealth, your friendships, and physical possession, you lose everything.

• Nahhh. It's pointless if I give it no point

• I established natural purpose.

• According to the universe, survival is our natural purpose, so what is survival?

Development naturally, if you understand the mathematics, the physics, and the logic of nature.

So our purpose in life is to create a better world which means we have to live righteously, so create and live a righteous life is the greatest strategy to survival.

• Nah dood I look to Darwin.

• yea... im not gonna be around soon anyway

What Girls Said 0