"Pedophilia should be accepted the way homosexuality has been"?

What do you guys think of this statement?

• Yes, it should be accepted
  • No, it should not be accepted

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Homosexuality involves consenting adults, paedophilia does not, and at the same time it hurts people. The two aren't even comparable.

What Guys Said 25

• Yes... and no. Pedophilia should be accepted as a sexual desire. I strongly believe that it should be the taboo it currently is and I most certainly believe that especially in America, people should quit being so paranoid about it and seeing a pedophile behind every corner. It's funny... pedophiles make up a minute, tiny, almost untraceable minority in a population, yet Americans are completely obsessed with them. No internet site that doesn't talk about them, no American news or talk show... pedophilia, pedophilia there, pedophilia everywhere.
    I wish people could just forget about it and not consider pedophiles some sort of particularly bad social outlaws.
    Now, by all this I do not imply that I condone pedophile crimes. Let me be clear: I am very much against pedophiles actually acting on their desires. A pedophile who has sexual contact with a child should absolutely be punished.
    However, I do not believe that pedophiles who don't act on their desires should be punished. Though their desires may be a mental illness, they are not the pedophiles' fault. We don't blame schizophrenics for their schizophrenia, why should we consider pedophiles monsters just for being pedophiles?
    I think she should definitely make a big distinction between pedophiles who act on their desires and the ones who don't. Fantasies are fantasies and reality is reality, they're really not the same thing. And while I believe in the legal punishment of pedophile crimes, I don't think shaming them and treating them like shit brings our global society any advantage. It just divides people further apart. I'm quite glad that here in Europe, we tend to approach the issues of pedophilia a little more rational. We punish pedophiles who assault children just like the US does but contrary to the US, we don't really talk a lot about pedophilia. We just let the pedophiles be pedophiles and if they decide to molest a child, we punish them like we'd punish a normal rapist or murderer.

• "No, it should not be accepted" and they should be euthanized...

• Hmm just wondering what do you consider pedophilia? I don't think that's even something to ponder on. As in, a 14 yr old getting molested by a 22+ year old. Then that is considered pedophilia. 16-17 year old girl having consensual sex with a 19/20 year old, then it's shaky ground here. I mean, a 16 year old is pretty much a woman by today's standards, and there isn't much of an age gap between a 16 and 19 year old. Maturity is probably around the same. So that's when it get's dicey and I don't believe it's pedophilia. But pedophilia, should not be accepted. There's no relation or akin to the LGBT community. Ones touching inappropriately or accosting a girl/boy that is not physically or mentally able to understand or make a reasonable decision about having sex or sexual contact to the extent that it hurts or damages them mentally/physically in their future. Not the same as a gay guy being accepted for his sexual view.

• It is very offensive and I don't understand when the correlation between gay rights and pedophilia happened in the anti gay rights minds. It just plain baffles me.

• The most used argument is the fact that they can't help who they are attracted to and that once gay people were considered to be mentally ill (while pedophiles are still considered as such).

• @Intraluminal According to the DSM, they are. But only those who want to act on their desires, not those who do not act on it. I should have made that distinction.

But it's interesting that a state doesn't consider them that way. Probably because a lot of them would try and scheme out of what they KNOWINGLY did.

• You're welcome!

• No pedophilia is a proven mental disorder. It is not accepted by society thusly it cannot be allowed in everyday life to thrive like homosexuality does. Do i think the way society views it as is unwarranted is irrational, yes. Do I agree with pedophilia, no. Do I think pedophilia in the US be treated as a mental disorder like how germany is doing, yes.
    You see the reason people get so hung up on this is because we all were children once and we imagine what it was like for them, this is a very human thing to do however it makes us see red and makes them not get the attention they need from medical professionals.

• I feel bad for the people who are attracted to children and cannot alter their sexuality.
    However children are seriously harmed by pedophilia and cannot consent to it. Therefore certainly when it comes to children I'm 100% against it.
    Homosexuality doesn't harm the people involved.

When it comes to teenagers 15 or older, if there is consent (AND ONLY IF THERE IS CONSENT) I think teenagers can probably make up their own mind (in some countries the age of consent is 16 anyway).

It may not be the fault of pedophiles that they are attracted to children and people need to not blame the pedophiles who do not act out their desires. But these people need to recognise that their actions will harm the children and it can never be allowedt.

• I don't hate them for their desires. If anything, I feel sory for them -- you've gotta be a petty deranged person to feel those feelings.

All of that said, the second they act on their desires I lose all sympathy.

As for your questions, it's a poor analogy. Homosexuality involves consent, whereas acts of pedophilia do not.

• "No, it should not be accepted" and they should be euthanized..."
    -Mistnigqa808

• No. Pedophiles' sexuality prey on the most innocent and vulnerable. Not cool or normal. Homosexuality doesn't hurt anyone. The mentally ill with pedophilia should seriously seek therapy and never act on their sexuality for the good of humanity and themselves.

• How are the two related? As long as adults consent then they can do whatever they want. Children can't really understand or consent to stuff like that.. Their bodies aren't fully developed either..

• There's a difference between two consenting adult males or females, and an adult taking advantage of a child who doesn't know better

• No neither should be accepted in my opinion.

• No, It shouldn't be. And it won't.

But the doors have been busted wide open to make that argument.

• Definitely not. Both are conditions people are not in conscious control of, its something they were born with.
    Not at all trying to justify it though, the main difference is homosexuality doesn't hurt anyone, pedophelia most certainly does.

• Pedophiles should be given mental help if they haven't committed a crime. But once they have they should be locked away.

• homosexuality shouldn't even be accepted
    so what the fuck am I gonna do with men and women abusing children
    fuck all of it
    there's no point in having it

• I feel sorry for you if you agree with that statement...

• What the freaking fuck HELL NO

• delaware's age of consent was age 7 up until the 60s.

a useful fact i'll never forget.

• I don't agree with it.

The risk of mentally scarring a kid with such a thing is too great.

• and this is why slut shaming shouldn't stop.

• why call someone a terrorist? why call people abusers, why call people junkies? why call a someone a rapist, why call someone a murderer? after all, they're just doing what makes them happy?

• I don't think it should be but honestly for everyone who wants equality well that's equality for u everyone and everything treated the exact same no matter what

• Blanket equality is nonsensical. If someone close to you died and you found out that the mortician who happened to be a necrophile fucked them, should they simply be accepted? What about someone screwing your pooch because they find dogs hot?

Equality should be achieved, but common sense needs to be inserted. Giving everyone unlimited freedom would have us reveling in chaos.

• Equality itself is nonsensical if we were meant to be equal then everyone would be the same whis would also mean everyone would think act smell etc. All the same and everything would be perfect.. perfection is nonsensical as well as equality

• I'm not here to argue for either side but it's funny how those who say pedophilia isn't normal but homosexuality is? Those are what I'd call very conditioned useful idiots.

• Not pedophilia (attraction to prepubescent children), but it shouldn't be seen as taboo to like teen girls, like 16-19. At that age those girls are completely sexually mature and basically adults. If a 20 year old guy likes a 16 year old girl women will call him a pervert and pedo when in reality it's completely normal.

• They're not "basically adults" otherwise they would be called as such. They're actually still developing.

• @Araya Technically you're not fully developed until 25, so is anyone under that not an adult?
      Also, you were considered an adult in many countries not too log ago.

• @Araya "Adult" is a cultural definition, not a biological one. Who is an adult and who isn't varies drastically over historical periods and among countries. Also, while you might not be fully developed at age 16, you have all the biological necessities to have sexual intercourse, become pregnant and give birth to a child.
      In fact, in most first-world countries, the sexual contact between 16 year olds and 20 year olds is completely legal and not considered weird or perverted. The US holds a rather exceptional position here.

What Girls Said 15

• Oh no. That's not even close to being the same thing. Pedophilia is a mental disorder. I know there are fuckers who'll say the same thing about homosexuality - DON'T EVEN BOTHER ✋🏼 Pedophilia isn't normal.

• Only an idiot, or a sick fuck would agree with that.

• pfffftt yeah right.

• Lol. No. I agree that they cannot help who they are attracted to and it is an unfortunate circumstance, but children should not be subjected to sexual advances and it can cause grave TRAUMA to them no matter how "tender and loving" the pedophile is.

Those kids should be focusing on school/friends/fun and not pleasuring someone's bed.

• I think it's ignorance.

• No it should not be accepted and neither the other. Both people have serious mental problems.

• It's a dumb statement, pedophilia is not a sexual orientation thus it is a rather different thing than homosexuality.

• no. a consensual homosexual act is not equivalent to what pedophiles do.

• minors don't know what they're getting into... little kids don't have any understanding of sexuality.

• No. Homesuxuality it's harmless to society while Pedophilia isn't.

• Noooo kids can't even give consent... and yes, you can't control who you're attracted to, but that doesn't mean pedophilia should be ok because it's not. People like that need serious help :(

• hahaha people getting bolder and stupider these days

• Neither should

• the only time it should be accepted is when the minor is 17 and the other person is 18-19.

• No way, it's not even remotely the same thing.