Not trying to be racist or anything, but why is Jimmy Olsen, a black character in the TV show called "Supergirl"?

The same goes with the Fantastic 4 2015. We all have known Jimmy Olsen and Johnny Storm The Human Torch as a Caucaisan characters, so why all of the sudden make changes and turn them into a different colored characters? Again, I have no problem with any race or color whatsoever, but why the hell would they change a character's color completely?

Most Helpful Girl

• Jimmy Olsen, as presented by the originators of the story, "Superman" was a young cub reporter who was used for comic relief. He was white. That persona carried through to the television version of Superman and comic books.
    Supergirl was not developed by Siegel and Shuster. Rather it was a comic book offshoot of the original Superman. Therefore the development of the character on television as we see it now, has no relationship to the original Superman. Not only that but it has no relationship to the original development of the character of Supergirl.
    That allows for a total reboot for all characters. A similar approach was taken when developing the new Hawaii 50 compared to the original Hawaii 5-o decades ago.
    James Olson as compared to Jimmy Olsen might as well be a totally different character and he is. Making him a black character as compared to the white, young cub reporter Jimmy Olsen is totally appropriate. And actually cool.

What Girls Said 4

• Meh, they're changing the story slightly. If they change the story, there's no reason not to change the race of the characters, especially if they did it because those actors were the best for the job. If we complain about someone like the Human Torch being played by a black actor, then we'd need to complain about the same actor being used for both Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers because surely that disrupts continuity more than changing the race of a character, especially seeing as the Fantastic 4 and the Avengers work together at various points.

• Was skin colour that character's only defining feature? Probably not. Then why is it necessary to stick with the status quo?

• To try to pull more people of color into the $uperhero market, of course.

• Maybe they wanted some diversity.

• That is true since every tv show has it's own versions and they are a really great actor for their character

What Guys Said 3

• I'd hate to have been around you when they changed Nick Fury.

• You're just racist, Paul.

• They needed a token black character. I think the law requires it now.

• That unto itself is a pretty racist comment. And by the way totally incorrect. The law doesn't require anything like you suggest.

• @Mishae I know, I was being facetious. But I wasn't being racist. Tokenism is alive and well in Hollywood.