GAGers with kids: have you ever refused to buy your kid something they want because YOU think it sucks?

Like you feel you know whatever they want just sucks and not worth the money and may even suggest something else that you think is better. have you done that?

Those without kids, would you do that with your kids if you had them?

Most Helpful Girl

• I have, my kid always picks the ugliest dolls. One doll that was her favourite is so fucking creepy. It has these buggy eyes that stare right through your soul. I did buy it for her though, but I told her it was ugly. Everytime I see it lying around I throw something on top of it so it doesn't stare at me.

Most Helpful Guy

• Absolutely. I know my kids and I really know what they like. I've been a parent for awhile now and I know that they will want all kinds of things - getting through a department store is full of "I want this, I want that" so there's a level of filtering that must occur in order to prevent their 'need now' mentality from getting a gift that they will play with for two seconds and never play again.

Parents that buy their kids whatever they want find themselves donating a lot of toys, trashing a lot of toys, or end up with kids that are brats. A parent needs to say no or eventually, those kids won't accept 'no'.

Granted, if I say 'no', I'll tell them exactly why not. They deserve that, at the very least. They understand almost every single time. But, if they are adamant about knowing they'll love the toy, I'll let them have it anyway, just because sometimes ya' gotta' let them learn the hard way. And sometimes I'm wrong - sometimes they end up loving the sh*t out of it, and that's part of learning as a parent as well.

What Girls Said 9

• Well, I don't have kids, BUT I have a boyfriend. So, there have been times where he's sent me a picture of a shirt or something as a hint for Christmas or another special day... and I won't buy it because I think it's ugly. And I know that's super bad... but I can't help it :'C

*shudders*

If it was my kid, it depends. If it was something like a super ugly sweater, well, I would let her/her wear it around the house. But if it was scary or weird, no. Lol, I wouldn't really want my kid to wear these. I would draw the line here.

g02.a.alicdn.com/.../...Joggers-Sport-Trousers.jpg

cdn.hitfix.com/.../...urplepantsheadlinecropLS.jpg

www2.pictures.stylebistro.com/mp/DK0UBUd-yiTl.jpg

• No, I have gotten my kid a gift, even though I didn't understand why he wanted it.

• No I haven't. I pretty much let them have what they want. It's not about me. It's about what they like. Why would I want to deny them a toy that would make them happy?

• Yes because they're little shits

• Like 4 times a week!

• Probably have done it.

And also because I wouldn't want them jumping in the house more than they already do.

• Shampoo and a blow dryer for my hair. I got these things cuz I've been told my hair is ugly and too hard to manage. So I just delt with it myself since I had no choice tool

• My daughter isn't old enough for all that yet.

• Yes I have

• what did they want?

• Any kinda random shit they see in the cashiers isle or on TV.

What Guys Said 7

• Of course I did. No cartoons like Superman &C°: he received better.

• If I were older and had a teenage son, I would probably refuse to get him Battlefront if he asked for it. :P

• Yep I have my daughter can't always get what she wants here is a pic of me and my daughter by the way.
    http://i.imgur.com/1KTp92P.png

• I'd totally do that.

• Kids need to learn that every trip to the store isn't about them getting a toy.

• Yes.
    Absolutely I would.

• I'd never get my kid one of those lazy ass "hover" bored things