Wouldn't black history be a part of American history?

I understand African Americans wanting to get recognition for the trials and tribulations their respected ones have went through. But, are you not American? Why do you continue to separate yourselves from away from everyone else?

Most Helpful Girl

• No, I am BLACK before I am anything else. I could be born in China and would still be black. I could be born in Australia and still be black. I could be born in Ireland and would still be black. I was black ever since a black woman and black man came to conceive me. I'm not even considered a full American, I am "AFRICAN-American. The African comes before the American and so does my blackness. ✌

Most Helpful Guy

• Black history is so boring, all it is is:

"Black people got enslaved in Africa by other black people for thousands of years"

"In the 16th century white people showed up (who had also enslaved their own race for thousands of years prior), and found a new source of labor that was cheaper and easier to get then other white people."

"So thousands of these Africans were taken to America and enslaved"

"No one really cares about slaves until 1960s when the blacks become a sizable block of voters and politicians need ways to get their votes"

"Present day, black history is taught even though it sucks."

German history or French history in the Americas would be much more exciting, but they are both white people, so even though Germans and French are linguistically, ethnically, and physically different, they are lumped together into "Non black history". To be honest the Germans did a butt ton more in the US then the blacks did, but we never hear about them because the Germans dont vote together like the blacks, its all about the votes, if the blacks only made up a couple people in the entire US no one would give a damn about them, why dont we study Bosnians in the US? Oh right, because there aren't that many of them, and so no one gives a damn because they dont represent enough votes.

What Girls Said 2

• Well no because it's not only black Americans.

• Many minority groups weren't given the same opportunities, so they aren't going to have the same rate of major successes as those who didn't have doors open to them. So you may need a focus time to appreciate their contributions in context. I'm not PC, but it makes sense. I mean, Irish Americans still ultra hype JFK, right?

What Guys Said 3

• I think you may be looking at this backwards.

If black history had been taught as an important, integral part of American history, and important themes relevant to their experience in America were covered with as much depth as other themes, then they wouldn't need a black history month. The fact that it is NOT the case that their struggles is given equal weight is the exact reason why they need a separate month that focuses on their experiences.

It is not that they are separating themselves from everyone else, it's that they have always been separated by the ruling elite, and this is a way to help spread education and information about people, ideas, movements, that are simply not covered in any other way.

• Black history isn't the initiative of African americans. It's a government thing meant to separate black people from america psychologically so they can stir up conflict.

• It's kind of a strange concept, like the history of people with attached earlobes.