Does high IQ actually mean your smarter?

I heard that it means you're smart, but then you hear people saying it doesn't really mean anything. Stephen Hawkins quotes "people who boast about their IQs are losers"

What is your IQ? post below

Most Helpful Girl

• Having a high IQ correlates with how fast you are able to process knowledge and apply it to situations. While it may not measure just how smart you are exactly, it does somewhat correlate to your intelligence. EQ is what really determines your intelligence. I have an IQ level that puts me in the "gifted" category. While I may process things fast, I am definitely not the brightest. I could be, but I choose to be lazy and don't know sh*t, haha. My geography sucks. These days I can't even tell you what a state is from a country. I have a pretty decent vocabulary, but certainly not the best. I may be smart, but while my high IQ may help, it's my determination that will make me smarter. Processing information fast can only be of so much use if you don't take advantage of it. EQ is probably more important than your IQ.

Most Helpful Guy

• Your IQ doesn't mean you're inherently smart. It's only as good as what you do with it. If you have a high IQ you can still be full of yourself and narrow minded. If you have the mental acuity to accomplish complicated tasks upon learning or intuiting the process you still have to go about narrowing down where you're working and what you're doing to get the most effective result. A person with a high IQ can fuck up the same as anyone when they don't see something coming.

I don't think IQ and seeing the bigger picture any clearer necessarily makes you more driven to achieve higher. Or maybe you just see patterns easier than some people.

What Girls Said 6

• Well my IQ is shit since I have a learning disorder that comes with having adhd and autism. :( So when it comes to book smarts I'm extremely slow at understanding that. When it comes to physical things I learn them extremely fast.

Still I feel extremely stupid compared to anyone else on the planet. So every time I make a mistake in front of people. I start bashing my brains against something.
    31.media.tumblr.com/...lqgcpboL1R1qmutyeo1_250.gif

• I feel kind sort of the same way you do when I do stupid things in front of people, apart from the self harming part

• @ClariceOwen23 Yeah but sadly that also means it's harder to pull the smartness out of you. :(

• Yeah that's true :/

• Ha. Tell that to the toolbag on here who was boasting an IQ "much higher than 170" to get his ludicrous point across.

• I believe so.

All my family apart from me has high iqs.

Both my parents had PhDs. My mother has another degree too. All my brothers have high degrees.

I don't even have all my alevels.

So you tell me who's the retard.

• Don't be harsh on yourself

• I don't think so. I have a very high i. q. and I am studying religion. The smart kids are all studying computer science and medicine.

• That's a matter of interest. Smart people don't automatically become interested in science and medicine. Quite a lot of dumb people like science and medicin too.

• I notice people who have higher iq's tend to be faster at grasping complex concepts.

• We do have the advantage in that sense, yes, but there is no genius in university doing his/her master thesis in their sleep. Everybody needs to work for their due.

• @sp33d I know that, they are just quicker processors.

• maybe according to books or whatever but I've met some of thee dumbest people who had book smarts.

What Guys Said 22

• I very much agree with @FakeName123. Especially with his first point. Most people self-diagnose themselves a high IQ with stupid tests on the internet. If you really want to know your IQ, you need to take a professional taste given to you and supervised by a psychologist.
    But also, one thing that many people don't know is that you can actually practice IQ tests. Researchers looked into this and they found out that people who practiced IQ tests like students practice algebra, they ended up getting much higher IQs after the 5th or 10th test than on their first test.
    IQ-tests aim to evaluate your ability to think logically and to do problem solving. However it doesn't really mean too much. Having a high IQ doesn't actually mean that you're a knowledgable person. So for example a well-educated, well-read person doesn't necessarily have to have a high IQ and a person with a high IQ might also end up being a very ignorant and superficial person. It really depends how you define "being smart".

• IQ test does not measure one's smartness or their knowledge. IQ test measures a very specific and small portion of our intelligence, such as a our logical ability, abstract problem-solving ability, spatial reasoning and our ability to retain memory. Basically, a person with a high IQ will have an easier time noticing abstract patterns and learning a new topic quicker then that of someone with a lower IQ, but it does not mean that the person with the high IQ is smarter or more knowledgeable then the person with the low IQ.

For example, George W Bush has an estimate IQ of about 125 which is above 90% of the world population, but when he attended Yale he was a C student, with a medicore GPA and mediocre classes. Not to mention, he's regarded as one of the most stupidest and most ineffective President we have ever had.

I have no idea what my IQ is, since I never had one administered to by a psychologist (those online IQ test don't mean anything), but I'm positive it isn't anything special. Abstract thinking was never my strong suit. I was always a person who was more concern with the physical world then that of the abstract one.

• The problem about IQ are three things:

1. Most people didn't take proper IQ tests, but mostly just some shitty online tests which often aren't comparable.

2. What Hawkings also means is that people who boost about their IQ are losers because first of all if you are smart you have no reason to brag about it and secondly they apparently don't make use of their IQ but just use it as an ego-boost.

3. An IQ-test only showcases a very limited spectrum of what intelligence is.

• It means you are smarter in the ways that IQ measures. It does have meaning, but it's limited. What a person does with their intelligence is far more important than how intelligent they are.

In general, people who are highly intelligent in the ways that IQ measures are also intelligent in other areas. As a group, people with higher IQ will be more successful. But as individuals, it really depends much more on other things.

• An IQ Is basically a measure of how well your brain works. Tests can include solving puzzles like building shapes using smaller primitive shapes or word problems of logic. Math, guesstimating remembering (Both short term and long term), how quickly and confidently you can solve these problems is accounted for.

So your question is a bit more of a philosophical one than you may think is doing well in all of these areas what's required to be smart? You have to keep in mind that the psychologist who does the test largely uses his judgement when coming up with a number (But you have to go through a ridiculous amount of training to actually be allowed to give the test)

• I'd say not. I'm in the 150 range and I don't consider myself very smart, definitely not a social butterfly, and I only know a lot about topics I'm interested in (my field which is software engineering). I know a lot of algorithms and can learn those quickly. That's about it.

I'm lacking many practical smarts, and somehow I'm a disaster when people put me behind a wheel (can't focus, always lost in my thoughts).

• As a member of Mensa, what I find with high IQ people is that they usually excel at a subject of interest, but it's not necessarily a most practical one. Some of these people, like me, lack a lot of practical smarts. We don't all become millionaires either.

• I see IQ as efficency. A person with a high IQ has the potential to learn a wider range of things more quickly than someone with an average IQ.

I think most really succesful people have above average IQs but they fall short of having "genius" lwvel IQs. Most of the people with tenious level IQs dont acomplish anything notworthy other than veing know for having a high IQ.

• When I was in school I was told I have a high IQ but that doesn't mean I was able to get good grades. An IQ test doesn't just test how well you do math or how well you read it latest problem solving with puzzles. I was good at the puzzles but poor in every thing else.
    I have seen some people who is book smart but had a hard time changing a light bulb, well others who could read a book but could build you what ever you want
    Being smart or or having a high IQ is only relevant to what you want to accomplish.

• it doesn't matter much. Just read Malcom Gladwell's book called "Outliers". IQ only matters if you're below average. If you have at least an average IQ, everything extra comes from you and your own work ethic. A lot of people with high IQ's haven't done much with their lives because they haven't actually put that supposed high IQ to work. To make use of that IQ, you need to actually acquire information and apply that information to your benefit in the real world. So really, IQ is something i wouldn't even worry about

• IQ is subjective, there was a university PhD psychologists' IQ test conducted some time ago which mostly was about visualization skills and memory. I have aidetic photographic and echoic memory, so naturally I scored their highest result. Does that mean I'm smart? Perhaps. Smart in what way?
    The significance of it is expressed in my work, I run annual statistics and financial planning for our company and my talents help me do my job well. I read up on global finance, real estate tendencies and I remember it well, all of it.
    Does that make me smart? No, it just helps me do my job.
    Ask me about English literature or the world's history, chances are I won't know anything.

• eidetic memory*
      Apparently my IQ helps me for f* all when it comes to typing skills.

• IQ isn't perhaps the best measure of intelligence, especially since defining intelligence itself is a seriously non-trivial task.
    However, it is very good at testing aspects of puzzle solving, recognizing patterns, and simple logical ability.
    These are all attributes that lend themselves very well to subjects like math and science, which is why high IQs correlate so strongly with people successful in STEM fields and subjects.
    However, there's a lot more to defining intelligence than saying, you're good at math, you're smart.

• Nope IQ means nothing if you don't use it, all the IQ means is that you are able to learn quick, better and understand things easier then most other people, but if you don't actually do any of those things to advance yourself or your knowledge then your IQ is worthless. Like a gun with no bullets, a sword without a handle or a car without a motor.

• Usally yes, it means you solve problems very well. But the test isn't a measure of your overall intelligence, it's almost impossible to test that since there are so many variables

• I think about 115

• I think the most successful people have a wide range of capabilities beyond raw IQ. Street smarts are important, tenacity is really important, communication skills and on and on. Being "Smart" really can't be quantified by a simple and flawed IQ test. However, I did read once that most business executive are in the low 130s. I tested at 137 but I have little faith that that number means anything huge.

• IQ is a measure of how good your general and spacial logic is. There are much more things that apart from logic that makes people 'smart'.

• My IQ according to the MENSA test is 135. As I understand it, high IQ makes a person more likely to detect patterns.

• not always

• It basically measures how you compare to everyone else, I think.

• High IQ means that you have the potential to be smart. You still have to put effort in to be smart

• Basically power levels on dbz

• IQ means you can solve certain kinds of puzzles. Real life does have problems which resemble the puzzles in IQ tests but they are relatively unimportant in the course of things. It's basically a way of predicting academic performance, which also is only somewhat associated with success and happiness in life.

I don't know my IQ, I've never taken a test to find it but I scored well past the top 1% in my college entrance examinations. SAT & ACT.