If I own a piece of land do I own it to the centre of the earth?

Most Helpful Girl

• Not necessarily. Most deeds will tell you the depth to which your portion of the property extends.

Most Helpful Guy

• I guess so, explains how people own the oil deep down when they find it

• I remember watching that show where the guy digs up people's property for valuable items deep underground and puts it back the way it was after then gives the owners 20% of the money of what it was worth so he didn't have any limits to the depth in those places in the USA anyway and the survey to my property says nothing about the depth of the property I own here

• Oh it was called " American Digger" with Ric Savage an ex wrestler, he did all that and check with the local laws to make sure he was allowed to dig there and as long as the homeowner didn't care they got money out of it too, it was a cool show to watch and see what they found

What Girls Said 2

• Excellent question. Haha. You know, I've never thought of it that way before. I'm sure you can't go around drilling to a certain point unless you have permission.

• It depends on if you also own the mineral rights. If you don't then no, anything under the ground belongs to whoever owns the mineral rights.

What Guys Said 2

• Within limits imposed by laws. You can't start mining anywhere. No derricks in Manhattan.

• it depends on the law of the country... In one country (I forgot the name), if you own the land. You own it about 2-10 or more metres deep, i forgot.