Why do people shower unattractive people with compliments?

Wouldn't it be kinder to be honest with people, and give them tips on how they can improve their appearance instead of lying to them and giving them a false sense of ego when they actually dont look good? Like especially on gag guys throw compliments to women thinking they are being "nice". If i asked people on gag to rate me i'd want them to be honest, and maybe the occasional "you look nice, but maybe you could fix your eyebrows". THAT is kind. That is helpful.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm honest with people on here and they try to go after me because of it lol like look if someone is fat and asks a question asking if you're fat, i'm going to be honest in a kind way, unlike what lots of people on gag do:
    1. attack the perceived confident/attractive and help the "vulnerable"
    2. guys lying to any and all girls to get just any attention possible lol

Most Helpful Girl

• I so agree! I hope guys are just trying to be nice. It is so depressing to think they have such low standards.

• I am laughing on you honestly.. do you really want to listen they you have ugly face and bad smile?

• that you have lovely eyes but they seems little crosses eyes

• I think part of it is the old adage, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all", so most of the guys who turn up are ones who have something nice to say.

Also saying that, I've seen plenty of negative comments on girls photos. I also think it's quite common for there to be absolutely nothing wrong with girls who think they are ugly or have some defect. Insecurity is rife here! And of course, most straight men are going to be attracted to girls who have no obvious defect, we're guys, we're attracted to women! Sonetimes feels like we're being attacked just for that, like I'm supposed to pretend some girl is ugly and leave a hurtful comment, just to appease some other girls online who think I'm being dishonest.

What Guys Said 24

• Guys on here are pussies and don't actually have an opinion of their own/won't give their opinion without first seeking the approval of women.

I keep it a point to tell a bitch when her eyebrows are fucked up or when her mole is distracting. It does nobody any good pretending like there isn't summat fucked up about a person's face when both of you know what it is that's fucked, and when you're pretty much using the girl as a morality booster.

• preachhhhhhhhh

i will give them props for being brave if they have to have some compliment but i will always tell them what i personally find wrong with their looks... i mean that's the point of commenting when someone asks how do i look.

• I agree, you're just setting them up for failure in the dating marketplace.

• To say that beauty is subjective is missing the point. They are asking your opinon. Not anyone elses. If you're telling them how sexy they are because someone else might think they're sexy, you're just lying to them. Let those people tell them they're sexy. You tell them whether you think so.

• I don't ever rate people with numbers, for me that's like objectifying a women; instead I tell them "they look good/great/amazing and for forth". Beauty is subjective and just because you think someone is ugly or not good looking, doesn't mean she/he is to someone else. While I do agree that honest and being blunt is better, I don't have it in me to say that someone is ugly or needs plastic surgery in order to improve. Do you?

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    That which one person finds beautiful or admirable may not appeal to another.

The people that are deemed the most attractive tend to me the most insecure.
    I'm unfortunately not so good looking, so I know never to ask how I look.

• Cause some people have no standards
    Beauty is subjective also

• I always try to be honest about it, while ignoring my personal preferences, such as skinny legs and butt, cause not everyone might like that.

But I find it weird for you to ask that, cause you look too damn perfect. (if the profile pic is of you)
    So can you really understand the people who have unfixable issues?

• don't offer advice unless asked. especially on someone's looks.

in regards to asking for advice and to be honest about it... most people don't want to be the cause of someone's pain, be it they ask for it, or not.

• Beauty is subjective that's why you may think someone is lying if they think a girl is "pretty" while you think she's not. But I get your point and I totally agree. When someone here asks for their look lot of people immediatly assume its because:

1. A lack of self-esteem issue and therefore try to be nice giving false compliments.
    2. If the person asking happens to be "attractive" people think that person wants an ego boost and start attacking him/her.

Seriously folk needs to stop assuming things and give their honest opinion...

• Well I think mostly attractive people say so that the person would not feel uncomfortable while standing next to them.
    An unattractive person mostly say the truth
    if anybody post his/her pic here people say the truth coz they don't have any reason to lie

• To cleanse them of their ugliness.

• IKR, I think they are either lying, or trying to get petty attention or they genuinely find them attractive or it could just be they are trying to make someones day.

• 0|0
  • Don't really know how to rate people. Like you are a real makeup beauty, But seem like you could be toxic on the inside.
    How do you rate that lol

• Maybe they are being honest, or they believe they are?

• Because beauty is a subjective concept. What you think is improvement may not be improvement for another person.

• Ya you are right.

Your philtrum makes you look like a man.

• LOOOL your negative comment is kinda meaningless in comparison to the many positive ones LMFAAOOO but nice try:)

• cool scene bro... i reckon you're just uptight cos you're pretty and get offended if others get "glory" hahaa.

• I don't, I slaughter anyone that posts a 'rate me' question.

• I always give mu honest opinion

• Always going honest when people ask for it, often with some notion of what I think could be improved if they're looking for that. Most guys (and girls) here seem to come with a +1-2 modifier on their votes though.

• We're all better looking then we think

• Hm why don't you do a rate me question then and see what you get. I'll give you a 10 on the face but your profile pic covers up your body shape and features.

Joking aside most people have trouble being honest with the ugly gaggers. Some of them are just not attractive they can do all the tips in the world and I would not find them pretty.

• If someone is really ugly, I just won't say anything. Simple.

• I think I shower people with compliments who I like. I'll also not be told who I should and shouldn't compliment by other people either.

If a girl is like "I know I look a bit shit, but what's your honest opinion?" I'd be more likely to give an honest view.

If she says "I'm fucking hawt right? Don't you agree?" Well, I might be harsher because I automatically don't like an arrogant person.

Actually, I'd go further and say a girl who looks average at first can be so attractive to me if she has a good personality, even things like her mannerisms. Personality means a lot. I wouldn't have said that at 16.

I'm sure it'd be the same for you girls with a cocky guy.

What Girls Said 17

• ... i agree, but unfortunately not everyone is as kind as you. while you would say "you look nice, but maybe you could fix your eyebrows", someone else WILL say "what the fuck is up with your brows?"

so yes i agree that people should be honest, BUT you should also be considerate about how the person is going to feel. one needs to word their feedback like a decent human being because you're talking to a person with feelings.

• I don't understand why no one can get that you can't decide what someone else finds attractive? These questions seriously blow my mind. How do you know these men are not giving them an honest to God compliment? I'm not trying to be mean or rude, so please don't take it like that, I just don't get it. Do I want someone to be honest with me? Yes, brutally but who am I to say that whatever they say about someone else isn't true?

• I don't think you understand this question. If a girl posts a very unflattering picture of herself, every guy (except for a couple honest ones) on gag will compliment her, literally I've seen like 20 guys at once. So its not just "individual taste". That is absolute bullshit that the majority of the male population would find an ugly girl attractive. An amount, for sure, but a small amount of men in a large population will find an ugly girl attractive. Thats life.

• @Araya Thank you! Someone understands!

• @Matt2k Thank you! That was all I was trying to say! Glad someone understood that = )

• So that they won't go kill themselves. D:!

Just kidding!! but that could not be far from the truth to some...
    anyway!! Just because you find those people unattractive doesn't mean everybody else finds them attractive... and also perhaps they don't see or rate the same qualities that you are rating... and lastly, sometimes when someone seems insecure, people tend to lift up their self esteem by mentioning the good attributes that they posses, out of a good heart, in relation to my very first opinion up at the top... these types of compliments are the ones that prevent some people from becoming depressed.

• Because 9 times out of 10 she didn't ask about her eyebrows. I'm not in the business of putting people down just because. And what you find unattractive may not be unattractive to the next person. How bout you comment what you feel and let others comment what they feel.

• WTF LOL IF PEOPLE ARE ON HERE ASKING "HOW DO I LOOK" IM GOING TO HELP THEM. You are extremely small-minded LOL, and the eyebrow thing was an example... you should go do an iq test honey because I think you'll be dissapointed with your results lol

• @REALisRARE my point exactly.

• @REALisRARE But if your opinion isn't going to help them, then what? lmfao... you aren't helping them with something just because it's "your own opinion" wtf

• Maybe they do something good to man kind. Ya know maybe they earn it with hard work and a career and a good example. No one choices to have the face they were given. We were given as a gift and that all it will ever be.

• How someone looks is completely subjective! The guys who I'm attracted to my friends think they are ugly af! So if you think a girl or guy is ugly some other people might think she or her is actually attractive!

• Feeling attractive is just as important as looking attractive. If you don't believe you are attractive - you won't get anywhere in the dating world.

• hmm, I don't know because personally I hate the back handed compliments from fake, bitchy women. saying something nice then telling someone but if you did so and do it would be better is actually mean. either be totally honest without bullshitting them, or change the subject.

• It could be to boost someone;s self-esteem OR because that individual truly thinks that that person is physically appealing. Not everyone shares the same thoughts as you.

Beauty is subjective,

• I am honest when I tell people they are not ugly in my eyes.

I am also honest when people ask stupid questions.

• Some people are attractive on the inside. Its not mean to give people useful advice though about their appearance as long as you don't say it in an offensive manner. Also remember whats pretty or attractive to you may be different from the next persons opinion. And what you may feel is ugly or unattractive may be beautiful or handsome or sexy to someone else.

• I agree. It's nice to be able to appreciate the beauty of someone who isn't traditionally found attractive, but it seems like some people just straight out lie and I hate that.

• They r playing

• They r fucking evil

• for make him feel better

• 1. I've never really met someone whom the larger populous would consider say, a 2 on a 10 scale, who thought they were absolutely amazing and attractive like a model. They usually know what they look like in reality, but as with most, rate me questions are fishing for comments like everybody else.
    2. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. People like what they like, and hate what they hate. Just because you think someone is ugly or flawed, doesn't mean others do too.
    3. If you ask a bunch of randoms for an opinion on how you look, you should be prepared for the kind of honesty you describe, because (see 2)

• I just focus on the positive. I'm not being facetious if I tell him or her that they have nice eyes or a nice smile, because they probably do. I don't go in and say they are really beautiful, but they do have nice qualities as well. I am with you, though, I often say "I think changing your hair like this (insert photo as an example) might suit your face shape" or something to help them improve.