Are you looking forward to self driving cars?

I am!

No drunk driving
no wrecks

a way to get from A to B

if if it was up to me, if I was God or had the money/influence to get it done, they'd be here already.
I could finally go places on my own

I'm disabled. I'm scared of driving, and these cars have been in development for a decade so they won't release it til it's ready.

Most Helpful Guy

• It would increase the quality of life TREMENDOUSLY in the future if we had the technology to have all self driven vehicles

Over a million people die each year from car accidents, 20-50 million each year injured.

What Girls Said 7

• hell no. i don't trust machines that much.

• Have you ever been on a plane?

• @ArtDent That's true but most of the work is not done by the pilots anymore these days but by the autopilot. I think it's only a matter of time until these autopilots will completely take over. In fact, most big and famous airplane crashes were at least partially due to human error. For example in that huge Air France crash (Air France 447) over the Atlantic from Brazil to France in 2009, the plane's altimeter showed a wrong number because the sensitive measuring tool outside of the plane got frozen from the cold air. Thinking that they're waaay to high, the pilots made people wear oxygen masks and went nose-down. In reality, however, everything except from the altimeter was fine and they crashed into the atlantic in the middle of the night.
      @justbanANNAz: I believe that you like to drive and I can emotionally understand that but it's a fact that over 90% of road accidents happen solely through HUMAN errors, not machines.
      www.alertdriving.com/.../human-error-accounts-90-road-accidents

• @BlueCoyote yeah, I know all that. Here's the deal, machines aren't afraid of dying, people are. That's why people have an easier time climbing into high speed weight travelling high up in the sky because pilots are in ultimate control

• I'll take a spin in one when/if they ever come on the market, just to see. But I really enjoy driving so I'm not all that keen on self driving cars.

• Lol my boyfriend is so excited for this. He talks about self driving cars all the time.
    Me on the other hand, I enjoy driving. But if thats the way the future is heading, so be it.

• I don't drive, so I'm way stoked Lol

• I don't think you'd have to quit driving or make a decision for one of the two options. Think of it like a dough mixer. If you want to bake a bread or a pizza or something like that, it's your choice whether you want to use a dough mixer or knead the dough yourself with your hands. Depending on the situation, you will go for one or the other. For example you might really feel like doing something with your hands, which means you'd go for the hands-on approach. But maybe you just came home from work and you're tired, so you decide to use the dough mixer. In the same way, self-driving cars are not meant to replace driving completely (at least not in the near or medium future) but rather to give us another option. I believe that driving can be lots of fun but I'm sure there are also days when you get into your car and you think "arrrgh, I wish I could just lie back, relax, watch a couple of youtube clips and let my car drive home on its own".

• He probably says that so he can visit you more often! 😊

• Not really I can barely hold it together being a passenger with someone else driving.

• No way... and I loooove driving so that'd just ruin it.

• Considering I can't drive, that would be great

• No, I'm shitting bricks here

What Guys Said 19

• Yes, I'm looking forward to them getting on the road very, very much! I'm severely visually disabled (almost completely blind) and that makes transportation a lot harder. I'm not allowed to drive or ride any kind of motorized vehicle. I can only use public transportation (and walking). Luckily, I happen to live in the country with the densest public transportation system in the world but it's still complicated not being allowed to drive a car or ride a motorbike or something like that. It makes me very dependent on other people and on the public transport schedules. For example I can't just stay out forever because I need to catch the last bus or the last train back home. Or if I want to go some place that is hard to reach by public transport (say I wanna go swimming in one of those small lakes out in the countryside, something that is very popular in Switzerland in the summer), I always need to ask somebody to drive me there. Another big problem is travelling. I absolutely love travelling and I do it quite a lot but outside of my country Switzerland and especially outside of western Europe, it's almost impossible to travel without a car. For example in North America, you just need a car... there's no way around it because the public transport is so bad.

Self-driving cars would make my life A LOT easier and they would give me tons of freedom and independence. They would allow me to live a life just like anyone else. Unfortunately, I believe it will take at least 30-40 years until these cars actually come to Europe and can be purchased here. Not because the technology is too bad but because of bureaucracy and many people being hostile towards self-driving cars.

• I would LOVE to have one. I could kick back and relax, maybe catch a nap, and get to my destination well rested.

• Yesss can't wait. I love to drive. But its a pain for hours on end

• I'm totally picturing an automated vehicle with like a twin sized mattress inside. Sounds so amazing. LOL

• You're a genius.

• @Mistnigqa808 Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Dude, yeah my uncle had one too! His was like one of those conversion jobs with carpet and drapes. His was more of a stoner-mobile. LOL

• Well heck it can be done in about a week from anywhere if you push it.
      My family made it in 10 days to Oklahoma, and that was with pulling a thirty foot trailer, four people, and two dogs that need walking.
      Usually drove about 9:00 to six everyday, but there were some all nighters in there to make it to the next campsite

• Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

I like driving. I like being in control of my vehicle, I enjoy the feel of it.

I guess if they came with a 'hoonigan mode' or manual override I'd be OK with it. I just don't like the idea of all the fun being sapped away.

Unless I can make it emit copious amounts of smoke from the rear wheels, or slide it round a corner at 70MPH, I'm not interested. :D

• You're exactly the person they want to keep from driving, by the way :D

• @ArtDent I'm very aware. They'll take my gun first so I can't do anything about it, too. Goddamn government!

• No because computers crash. They work when they work but when they don't it's a super fail.

• Ever gotten on an airplane?

• @musicbrain5 In modern planes, almost everything a pilot does is supervising the machine. Pilots do very, very little actual flying. Yet, the vast majority of plane crashes occur due to human error or at least partial human error (the machine might show wrong numbers but the pilots would react in a wrong way). A good example is the very famous Air France 447 plane crash in the Atlantic in 2009. The plane was flying from Rio de Janeiro to Paris. Due to bad weather, the sensitive measuring instruments outside the plane froze and the altimeter showed a wrong number. According to the altimeter, the plane was flying way too high (when in reality, it was totally on course). In an attempt to correct their course, the pilots shut down the autopilot and went nose down. Because there was so much fog, they couldn't see the sea until only 2-3 seconds before the impact. Hundreds of people died. On the road, the rate of human error is even bigger because car drivers are not as well trained and

• educated (in this activity) as pilots are. Over 90 (NINETY!) percent of all road accidents occur due to human error, NOT machine failure. In other words: machines are much, much safer when just left alone, doing their job. In since driving a car is statistically much more dangerous than flying although flying is mostly done by a machine, it's silly to not be afraid of flying yet be afraid of sitting in a self-driving car. The comparison works very well and you can safe your somewhat condescending "lmao" to another time :-).

• I enjoy driving, I enjoy the act itself. I also take public transport to work so I can read etc. I think for a commute it would be great, but I also would like the option to turn it off.

• Only if people could continue driving themselves after obtaining certification. And, of course, motorcyclists are exempt.

• No I'm not ready for it. as a mechanic there's to many thing that can and will go wrong. If we can't keep people from hacking a computer how are you going to keep them from hacking your car and killing you.

• I will never let a computer take full control of my vehicle.
    I don't like electronic fuel injection, traction control and anti-lock brakes in my car as it is.

• I'm for them with the option of manual or automatic control.
    Although with the way things are going the government will probably make it illegal to control manually once the cars are widespread

• until cars start flying and/or hovering, i don't care.

• Hell yeah! I would get a self driving car with an LED screen on the wind shield and have a few drinks while commuting... absolute epicness!!

• Fucking people need less automation, not more. This is a bullshit idea.

• Well are they making self driving trucks

• nooooooooooooooo im better than a machine

• Can't wait!

• Ya no crash untell isis hacks it and all the cars crash killing ever one

• Yes I am. No more stupid people causing traffic jams and wasting time. And best of all no more bad women drivers 😁