Do you think it will ever be possible to ban the stormfront site?

Stormfront is a forum website where white supremacist, nationalist and kkk group members discuss. At first I thought it was harmless since it seems like they don't act on anything and there are plenty of racist forums anyway. Now I found out that there are deaths linked to this site and I am not surprised.

Article here

Most Helpful Guy

• Most of the deaths linked to the site are one guy in Norway. While he had some offensive views I think it would be a stretch to say he wouldn't have done these things if it weren't for a website.

In -general- banning words and ideas doesn't tend to work very well at all. If anything it convinces those who share them that their paranoid delusions of grandeur, that they have found the truth! that society is trying to suppress it! that they must fight back with violence! are all true. When possible, it's better to air these crappy ideas out in public and shoot their pathetic logic to pieces.

What's challenging now is that there are online communities where ideas are being shared, but not challenged.

It's not just extreme ones, if you look at the U. S., you can be a staunch conservative or a staunch liberal, and listen to talk radio and visit websites and be part of online communities with -nobody who disagrees with you-. It's this weird echo chamber where only the same ideas are reflected back.

The same thing happens on a more extreme basis with more extreme views, whether it's white nationalism, or violent political islam, or whatever.

knocking out one website doesn't do that much, and is exceptionally difficult as well (isis has been moving to the deep web to a large extent).

The internet was designed to be impossible to censor. Overall that likely has big benefits.

I think all of us need to learn better how to see people around us becoming radicalized, and what to do in that situation.

Most Helpful Girl

• They'll never ban it.

What Guys Said 6

• Doubtful... The internet is global, and free speech is the issue here. Criminal actions would be on the individuals, not the website, as long as what's on the website isn't illegal. Free speech means free speech, and even if the website were taken down, it would probably pop up on a server in some foreign country.

• LOL the people on that site are so funny, funny as in they actually take their stance seriously, and it just gives me the LULz sometimes hahaa.

• If a website incites violence (note: actual violence, not merely hatred), it should be banned.

But, the article to which you link says that a murderer was banned from the website.

So, no, no evidence has been presented to me that Stormfront should be banned.

• with how i hate to say it no there is no way to take down the website pertinently. if you manage to take down this one another one would pop. i dont even think anonymous would be able to take it down just disrupt it.

• No I don't think so it's their right to have it

• I've come across that site before. It just creeps me out

What Girls Said 0