Why do depressed people always seem the happiest?

For example, there's this girl at my school who is always smiling and laughing about everything. I've never seen her look upset. You could literally say something random like "bananas" and she'll burst out laughing.
Then I go on her Instagram page and it's all depressing quotes and captions about feeling worthless and about her suicide attempts.

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe they're trying extra hard to hide their depression

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 2

• My friend has bipolar disorder and anxiety. He always wants everyone to be happy around him, even if he isn't. He has said he doesn't want people to feel the way he does because it is the worst feeling in the world.

• she just want attention, real depressed people seem not happy at all

What Guys Said 7

• Because we it's hard for us to be open about what's going on with us. We don't want a pity party, we don't want to draw attention, or be too vulnerable when we're already hurting. We also try to laugh and be positive to cope with our depression, even though in reality we aren't feeling much.

-Struggling with clinical depression

• It's fake

• Maybe she just acts bubbly in person because she doesn't want anyone around her knowing she's depressed? It's a lot easier to show feelings online..

• A lot of depressed people try to overcompensate and they might also not want people to see their pain (although that's probably not the case because of the instagram thing

• I've never seen depressed people who look happy

• Attention. Followers

• I've suffered from depression in the past and even a little now, but the reason is that the person wants other to be happy and not feel the way they do.