Do you live in a house or apartment and how much do you pay?

Or something else?

Does anyone split the rent with you?

How big is the place?

Most Helpful Girl

• I live on a 50' sailboat currently docked at a marina. I pay around $500 a month for dock fees, which includes water and electric...

• That's an interesting scenario...

• Ah you are living the dream!!! that is so awesome, I have been wanting to do this for a few years now, I haven't because it would require I move over 1000 km away from family and work and I'm not sure I want to do that.

• @Jager66 Well if it truly is your dream i say do it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I share an apartment with my girlfriend. It's a three-room apartment (2 rooms plus one living room plus a small kitchen and a bathroom). The apartment costs just around 1,000 US dollars. However, that doesn't include stuff like TV and internet. We're super happy to live here because it's a special type of apartment that I'm not sure even exists in the US or other countries. The apartment belongs to about 400 other apartments in the neighborhood. Together, they make up what we call a "cooperative living society". These cooperative living societies were originally founded by socialists and poor factory workers in the early 20th century. The point is that you should be able to live somewhere without somebody else ripping you off. Because laws were more relaxed back then, many rich owners of apartment blocks and houses could charge poor factory workers horrendous rents and become rich thanks to the fact that living space was scarce and factory workers were basically forced to live in these kinda places. In order to change that, they came up with the revolutionary idea to form a union, put all their money into a big pot and buy apartment blocks with that common money. Nowadays, these unions or cooperative living systems have expanded a lot and have become very important in Switzerland. The trick is that when you rent an apartment, your rent is much cheaper than in normal apartments because your apartment doesn't belong to some idiot who wants to make money off of you, it belongs to the community/union that you've joined by signing a contract. The union is organized in a direct democratic way, so that everyone has a say over the communities finances and new projects (such as renovating certain apartment blocks etc.). The system is basically a non-profit organization and that makes living much cheaper. Otherwise, an apartment of the same size in this good location that we have would easily cost around 1,500-2,000 US dollars. My girlfriend and me are both university students, so we don't have lots of money.

• Did you know you could get an almost $200,000 house for that same amount on a 30 year mortgage?

• No, I can't ;-). Houses in America are very cheap. In Switzerland, houses are very expensive (like pretty much everything else here). Because Switzerland is a small country and we don't have lots of land, owning a house (which usually means owning land) is a big deal. For example my parents bought their house (where I grew up) for 500,000 Swiss Franks (that's about 490,000 US dollars). This was around 20 years ago and already back then, it was a very good deal. Nowadays, an average house costs around 650,000-700,000 dollars. You can't get anything below that. In addition, we have a law in Switzerland that doesn't exist in the US (as far as I know): the law says that you must be able to provide at least 35% of the total price upfront (the mortgage may not cover over 65% of the total price). So for example if you want to buy a house for 700,000 dollars, you need to have at least 245,000 dollars in the bank. Since my girlfriend and I are Uni students, this is currently unrealistic for us ;-)

• Okay... In the United States you can do that...

What Girls Said 14

• I don't pay nothing! i live with my parents!

• Ridiculously expensive, like 1.1k sq ft ft for $2.2 K

• $2,200/month?

Is this an apartment down town?

• I'm ok with that, I rent now because I know its temporary. I'm not ready to purchase a house

• I always ask people that because I would never rent after realizing that...

I'm going to buy the most expensive house I can afford, but get one that is in disrepair so I can fix it and sell it for much more...

Rinse and repeat...

• I live in a condo and pay $1,000 per month. It's rather roomy, so I can't complain.

• I live in a house and I pay $450 a month in rent.

• I live in a studio Apartment in Paris, 1100 Euros per month.

• I live in the house I grew up in. My mother owns it. I pay her rent.

• I live with my parents in an apartment. We don't pay any rent since it's not rented. For water and electricity we about $80 per 2 months.

• What do you mean it's not rented?

• We owned a basement since 1981. My dad and his family used to live in an apartment in that basement. When he married mom, they moved to an apartment in that same basement. They didn't have to pay for it of course.

• Interesting...

• Tmi tmi tmi

• I own my house.

• How much is the mortgage?

• No it was a short term mortgage. Started early paid of in 15 years.

• Wow you've had it for a while, then..

I can't imagine having something for that long...

• I live in a house by myself. It's kind of small, 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bathroom. No yard really, because I don't want to deal with that. I pay about $1,400/mo for rent.

• 1 BR apt in a non urban area that is $475. But, I make $34,000 working a shit ton of hours because I'm not living where good jobs are.

• How many hours?

Where do you work?

What is your hourly wage?

• That's over $10/hour...

What state do you live in?

• Yeah, it's not bad at all. But I have a degree and have been there 8 years, too. I live in IL.

• i live in an apartment with three roommates. the rent is 1.700$ per month. we split and pay 425 each.

• I paid 240 / month for a house

• I share an apartment with my room mate. Both of us have our own room which is 16-18 sq. meters big. Rent is 550€ + 70€ for electricity, so both of us pay 310€ for everything.

• That's not bad at all.

• Yeah, it's affordable :)

What Guys Said 6

• 950 sq ft condo, I live alone
    $1,000/mo.

it's nice compared to where I recently moved away from, SF bay area, where my 650 sq. ft 1 bedroom apt cost $2,300 every month. $2,300!!! just for rent lol

• Lol SF.

We actually bought a place in SF when we lived there (2005) because I thought my work would keep me around there for longer. Nope, gtfo the following year, rented that place out to the same family for the next 8 years. Their rent covered the whole non-deductible part of the mortgage, plus more near the end.

They left in 2014. We listed it for 2x what we paid for it, and it sold for 3.4x.

Do you think that bubble is gna burst sometime soon? I mean, that just cannot possibly be sustainable. No waaaaayyy.

• Omg I would so live in Miami if I had a good job lined up/family nearby

• One time I visited for one day and spent $700...

I got drunk and kept ordering $16 mohitos and $8 Budweiser's...

Left the car in the parking garage overnight because I was too drunk... Taxi rides, hotel...

And that doesn't even include gas...

• I live at home, but my co-worker asked me if I was down to move in with her in the Spring.

I'm really considering it 'cause the oppressive energy of home is starting to way me down.

• I own my home. It's two acres, 880 sq ft. with detached garage and has a 720sq ft workshop. I live by myself and my payments are 565 a month.

• I live by myself in a 660 sq ft apartment near Boston. I pay $1350, but that includes heat and electricity.

• At 4.5% over 30 years, $1350 is the mortgage payment on about $267,000

• That depends on where you live. $267,000 doesn't buy you much in Boston.

• I suppose...

• house
    mortgage insurance and taxes
    about 1200 month

• 2700 Sq ft house, purchased 850/mo.