Why do people have a problem with biracials identifying as black?

Technically, yes I am mixed but so is everyone else. No one is 100%. I am a lot like Amandla Stenberg. I identify as a black woman, I speak out about black issues and I plan on marrying a black man and having black kids. It's also annoying how whenever a mixed race person accomplishes something we're "mixed" but when it's something negative then we're "black."

Whenever I call myself black, people are always like "you're mixed." Its mostly white people though, black people accept it. I am very aware of my white side (because of my blue eyes) but I don't want to be seen as anything other than black. I'm not speaking for all mixed people, but a lot of us. Like Zendaya, Tinashe, me, Elle Varner, Amandla Stenberg, my sisters, Barack Obama, etc..

Most Helpful Guy

• right, because barack obama was hailed as "the first mixed race president!" not.

the irony is, blacks often moan about how "racist" the constitution was. example. the 3/5th's clause, which counted slaves as only 3/5ths representation, a compromise to limit the voting power of the slave holding south at the time. yet blacks today claim the constitution only recognized them as 3/5th's of a person, despite it being a measure to try to limit the power of slave holding states.

or the one drop rule. once a terribly racist thing. now even halle berry, half white actress who had a kid with a white guy, declared her son was black because of the one drop rule.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't quite think that a lot of people understand what "identifying" as a certain race means.
    It does not mean you are disregarding that you have the best of both worlds.
    It is just acknowledging the fact that society will view you as a black person because of the way you look.
    Also, someone who is mixed that looks more one "race" than the other will have a very different life experience than someone who looks almost 100 percent White.
    There is no denying that.
    People that look like Barack Obama, Alicia Keys, J Cole, etc. will never have a White experience or white privilege.

• I never tell people what they are, I let them identify the way they feel comfortable.

What Guys Said 5

• Why al those anonymous race questions?
    Why do people have a problem with 'race'?

http://i.imgur.com/lip6I7z.jpg
    www.trademarkia.com/.../...human-race-85194051.jpg

• why does no one ever identify themselves as human? it is always by race or sex or religion or something else that constantly divides people apart. if people would just realize we are all the same than we would be a lot better off

• For the same reason why you don't call yourself white. It's incorrect. People like to correct others if you haven't noticed while living.

• I thought we were expected to identify as black.

• For the same reason everyone identifies tiger Woods black & Obama as black

What Girls Said 3

• Girl, it's really just convenience/opportunism. Don't pay it any mind.

You're in a situation where both groups can conveniently choose either to include you or to exclude you, at a whim. So, unsurprisingly, they'll include you when they decide yr on their team, and they'll exclude you when they decide you aren't.

I mean, it's the same thing as when a kid fucks up, and each parent tells the other parent about "what YOUR kid did". Versus all the good things that "MY kid" did. LOL
    I mean, those comments are mostly humorous (in non-dysfunctional families, at least), but it's the same idea. Ya know?

My husband's mixed, too. I don't see too much of this either way where we live right now (southern California), but, when we lived in Houston? Fuck yeah. Inclusion/exclusion, on and off like a light, depending on the situation. Literally could change from one minute to the next.

• Same. I am mixed but identify as a black woman and I'll be damned if someone tells me otherwise. I can not relate to white people. I do not want to relate to white people. I am a mix raced-black woman. That's all there is to it.

• There's nothing wrong with it , black women are beautiful and you identify More with your black side. Do ya thing ❤